Green Card Quandary

Thomas

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:49 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
It went much better and easier than I expected. I gave my 8 months notice, explained why, boss nodded, didn't try to talk me out, and in the end i felt very appreciated and know that i'll be missed. It was a good reminder of why I started working with him in the first place (he is a remarkable speaker and he does care about me a lot). But, he is still impossble as a manager and it was a right choice.

Well that's the advice I gave you several pages ago. Doesn't mean you have to, like, take it! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:57 pm
Hmmm?

It's not a straightforward decision. Even at its most frustrating, i still love this job and organization for what is behind them... even at his most annoying, my boss is a good man (who just shouldn't be a boss). I love Boston..... And coming back home has several serius shortcomings too. So the decision needed to take a long time and I had to feel ready to make it. I waited for the 'bolt from the clear sky' feeling when you KNOW what is right. That's how I break up in relationships, too.... Sometimes the bolts let me wait for them forever, but they do show up.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 09:07 pm
Oh, I wasn't giving you the "evil" face for your reluctance to decide. I gave it for purely selfish reasons. You made the right decision, but it's sad to see you go. That's all.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 09:56 pm
Before you leave, you should make the rounds to visit us all....

As for your belongings: just ship a little bit at a time to your parents
house. Books, clothes, your curtains, mirrors (if not too big) and and...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:12 pm
they are big and old and beautiful Crying or Very sad . i think i'll have to let go.

oh well, am not dependent on material stuff, am not dependent on material stuff, am not dependent....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:07 am
dasha, once the dissertation is done, can't you try to get another job here in Boston?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:24 am
I'm glad the actual Talk went well.

((Dasha))
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:38 am
jes, i'm sure i could get a job in boston or nyc relatively easily. but i figure if i am looking for a job, it might as well be at home. i want to get to the book i want to write with my sister and mom about my dad. Poisonwood Bible style.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:53 am
Oh, I'm glad to see that the meeting itself went well.

The bolt. Yup, I understand that.

~~~

Now - the dissertation.

~~~

You don't want to be like the former Abuzzer I see about every 18 months when she comes to Toronto to see her advisor about the dissertation she started 32 years ago!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:56 am
god, no. i am going to the library today and spend some solid 6-7 hours writing. i promise.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 05:31 am
dagmaraka wrote:
jes, i'm sure i could get a job in boston or nyc relatively easily. but i figure if i am looking for a job, it might as well be at home. i want to get to the book i want to write with my sister and mom about my dad. Poisonwood Bible style.

Oh, cool. Sorry if I seemed flip, we (all of us in Boston, I think I can speak for the city Smile) just don't want you to go.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 01:56 pm
not at all. Foregoing a green card when it's within a reach is not an easy decision.
I knew I made the right decision when I read the email from my dad in response to me quitting and moving home. He felt the same way about me being away as he ages... Not that he said it out loud... we have a quiet way of understanding each other. I need to be with my family more than anything else right now. No matter how many good friends I have here (more than at home now), it doesn't quite make up for it and I am often very lonely. So it has been written, so it shall be done.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 06:26 pm
And when you come back (I refuse to say if), of course we'll all be here to greet you.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 09:17 pm
I always dreamed of working for the UN.... UNHCR or UNMDG or something akin to that.... so I will certainly be back one day to fulfill that dream
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 09:20 pm
You better, I'm too poor to get to Bastin just yet.

Follow your heart....

RH
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:08 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
I always dreamed of working for the UN.... UNHCR or UNMDG or something akin to that.... so I will certainly be back one day to fulfill that dream

You always can, dagmar, but time spend with your family is precious
and will be rewarded in ways a job can never give you. One day you'll
be back representing all the Slovaks in the UN Very Happy
0 Replies