Green Card Quandary

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:23 pm
Off to punch heavy bag at the gym. Finally years of boxing training are getting utilized.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:33 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
burnt out is fixable.... this organization, however, dunno.

our strategic consultant - the only beacon of hope for me and the friend the office manager - is quitting. she is not willing to take crap from my boss and our chair of the board (who has personality much like the boss) and does not see any willingness on my boss's part to heed any of her advice (so true... and not just her advice. staff's opinions as well).
That is going to speed up my friend's quitting. From January or February I'll be on my own, without the two of them, who are my only support. And since I work on H1B status - which is tied to this office- I'm stuck, can't go anywhere else.
Uber depressing day.

Oh no!

I know this seems crazy but hear me out... what about starting your own organization?

You know all of these great people who are fed up with your current organization. What about making something new with them?

It would be heaps of work but you're already doing heaps of work. It would be very upsetting for your boss but it sounds like he's really brought that upon himself. It's important work and you already have a lot of contacts.

I think it's possible.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:10 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Maybe I should discuss the commitment thing with my boss directly. But if I tell him that I don't feel so sure I want to stay here forever...he will be much less likely to sponsor my green card. I don't want to 'cheat him into it' and then leave. He and I are the only two people that were in this organization from the get go, so he's not just a boss... I would feel morally obliged to stay for longer then i'd like.

Then again... friends tell me that I am severely underpaid anyway and could take it as the center actually paying me back... but i cannot quite accept that view. I knew and readily accepted my pay as the work was more important than the money. I believed in what I'm doing... So I don't feel it right to NOW claim it as money back or whatnot.... I simply would feel horrible leaving right after I get the green card.

This is where you need to think like a businesswoman, and not that the work is more important than the money. By saying that, you're also devaluing your work skills, and that your time is not worth more money. You don't really feel that way, right? I can understand you not demanding top dollar in order to help the company, however you absolutely can look at their green card investment as part of your pay package. Sounds like you deserve it.

You obviously wouldn't want to take the green card and quit immediately, but hey, if another opportunity opens up, you can't allow your employer to guilt you into staying, either. Look at it both ways.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:15 pm
i have been thinking about that. and i think i will be up for that in a few years... i am still young, i don't have the green card to do such a thing (there it is again, the stupid card), i don't have contacts in the rich circles...

I would have a few people to start with. But zero capital. In fact, only my own debts. I am not in a position to pull it off just yet.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:17 pm
eh, that was in response to soz....

what you say,slappy, makes sense. that means however i will have to put up with this job for at least 2 years - that's how long the green card process takes.

that's a very depressing outlook, but it is either that or going home. workwise i have far more options here and it would make sense for me to stick it out. still.... depressing.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:20 pm
Dag, you need to hook up with someone in marketing and fund-raising.

This is a skill all in itself. Even if just for advice, but also maybe as a team member.

Lots of big businesses would consider tax write-offs with the right pitch.

RH
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:21 pm
we had someone..

she quit today.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:27 pm
I was talking more for you and looking out for your future. Sorry 'bout your friend....

RH
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:32 pm
i'm sure she (the marketing/strategic consultant) will be willing to help me get off the ground once i'm ready.

i'm not ready.

not for awhile. i'm depressed and need a frikkin break more than ever. then i can start thinking what next.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:38 pm
Maybe you need to get a heavy bag to keep at home, or since it IS Boston (brrrr), a side of beef to hang out back. (ala Rocky) Very Happy

RH
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:52 pm
the boss would be just about the right weight.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:52 pm
Shocked Cool Shocked
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:03 pm
Quote:
I simply would feel horrible leaving right after I get the green card.

you probably do feel that quitting after you get the gren card is horible , but is it really ? are you hurting someone personally who has done everything for you and you are now an "ungrateful" person ?
i wouldn't think so !

perhaps you should draw up a ledger , showing on one side what you have done for the organization and on the other side show what the organization and its people have done for you .
have they always treated you fairly and respectfull ?
have they shown that they value your work and compensated you accordingly - through pay , paying for for further education etc . ?
i'm sure you know how to do that .
perhaps you'll come to the conclusion that you actually do owe much to the organization and its people . if you do , you know what to do .
if you come to the conclusion that they owe you , you'll also know what to do .

perhaps this sounds somewhat "mechanical" to you ; just like adding up debits and credits . well , that's actually what you need to do unless you feel that you have to perform a "mission" and wordly goods are of no consequence .

tell you a little story : a good friend and fellow worker decided to become a deacon after he retired early (we retired at the same time and were about the same age) .
unfortunately his wife died a few years after he retired .
someone told me that he was going to the seminary to become a priest .
when i met him shortly thereafter , i asked him if it was true that he was going to become a priest .
"yes" , he said ; "they make me do all the work a priest has to do and i might as well reap the advantages given to a priest " .
he indeed turned out to be a priest much admired and loved by all who knew him .
he died just a month ago , and while i'm not a catholic , i really do miss him as a human being .
his point : if you do the job , you are also entitled to all the benefits that go with it .
wishing you all the best (and don't forget to draw up the ledger with all the "debits and credits" !)
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:24 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i have been thinking about that. and i think i will be up for that in a few years... i am still young, i don't have the green card to do such a thing (there it is again, the stupid card), i don't have contacts in the rich circles...

I would have a few people to start with. But zero capital. In fact, only my own debts. I am not in a position to pull it off just yet.

Is there anyone you can see being the point person? And you having about the same position you have now? As in, assisting someone who can really make things happen instead of your boss, who I am getting more and more annoyed with?

I made the transition from working for a horrible boss to striking out on my own, and it was scary as hell but SUCH a great experience. I was a US citizen, of course, and I do understand that limitation.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:29 pm
Soz, if we need to go have a chat with the "boss", I will pick you up on the way. Cool

Dag, is there any one in management with a clue, or is it all hoplessly silly?

RH
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:35 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Soz, if we need to go have a chat with the "boss", I will pick you up on the way. Cool

Yer on!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
i still insist that dag draw up a ledger with DEBITS AND CREDITS before we march :wink:
i wasn't an accountant for nothing Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:45 pm
Gas Is pricey, Mr. Hamburger. :wink:

Dag???
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:48 pm
I'm reading along and seeing lots of great advice.

Would add my 2 cents (sorry, mr. burger for the pun - Very Happy ) but I'm still stuck on the boss of an organization whose prime order of business is to negotiate / mediate and teach others to get along has horrible management and communication skills.

How the heck did he get where he is? Why is he doing this "Job?"
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:11 pm
dagmar, you do know that the green card is issued for only 2 years. It's
a conditional green card so to speak, and if all conditions are the same
as of the time of issuance, your GC will be extended for 5 years.

Quote:
A Conditional Permanent Resident is issued a card valid for two years. In order to remain a Permanent Resident, the Conditional Permanent Resident must file a petition to remove the condition during the 90 days before the card expires. The conditional card cannot be renewed. The condition must be removed or you lose your permanent resident status. (See Form I-751 and Form I-829.)
0 Replies