What is so bad about Gov. Spitzer's plan? Hillary is Right!

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:25 pm
what a friggin jerk woiyo; you posted about business licenses and I respond "Interesting, is that true?" pretty friggin outrageous you seem to think. so you respond "you are kidding, right?"
So you think my saying "interesting, is that true?" goes over the line of reasoned debate. I say that makes you quite a friggin bigot.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:32 pm
dyslexia wrote:
what a friggin jerk woiyo; you posted about business licenses and I respond "Interesting, is that true?" pretty friggin outrageous you seem to think. so you respond "you are kidding, right?"
So you think my saying "interesting, is that true?" goes over the line of reasoned debate. I say that makes you quite a friggin bigot.

No, it just makes you either stupid or ignorant. I provided you some facts to cure your ignorance and you respond to me as a bigot.

When ignorance can not be cured, stupidity seems the logical next classification.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:47 pm
woiyo wrote:
Having a license to transact business is not a right, it is a privilage.

You'll have to read up on the relevant law. Owning and running a business is most definitely a right.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:51 pm
woiyo wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

No, it just makes you either stupid or ignorant. I provided you some facts to cure your ignorance and you respond to me as a bigot.

When ignorance can not be cured, stupidity seems the logical next classification.
Si I take it your livelihood is SSI and your work day is in a sheltered workshop, right?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:59 pm
Thomas wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Having a license to transact business is not a right, it is a privilage.

You'll have to read up on the relevant law. Owning and running a business is most definitely a right.

Wrong again. Virtually every State and Local Government, not to mention the Feds, require a license. Many you need to be Bonded.

Here are a few examples.

http://www.seattle.gov/rca/licenses/pdfs/2005INSTRBIZLIC.pdf

http://www.kcmo.org/planning.nsf/busast/buskcmo2

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx96_256.html
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:34 pm
woiyo wrote:
Wrong again. Virtually every State and Local Government, not to mention the Feds, require a license.

I'll take your word for that, but what are the circumstances under which the city may deny a license? I would be very surprised if they had full discretion over it.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:56 pm
Thomas wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Wrong again. Virtually every State and Local Government, not to mention the Feds, require a license.

I'll take your word for that, but what are the circumstances under which the city may deny a license? I would be very surprised if they had full discretion over it.

Generally, a felony record would pose a bonding problem. IRS liens would also not be helpful. Also, the type of business will add further certifications such as restaurants/food or bars, from various local and State agencies. Starting up a business in the trades such as electrical, plumbing contractors have unique certifications towards that industry. Some have much less requirements for example a independent software development entrepreneaur.

However, it seems obvious that local, State and Federal Agencies will do background checks on individuals looking to start a business.

So to summarize, it SHOULD be very difficult for an illegal immigrant to come here and START a business.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:41 pm
Similar to driving is a privilege, not a right. Anything that requires a permit or a license of some kind is more like a privilege, I agree with you, woiyo.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:56 pm
okie wrote:
Similar to driving is a privilege, not a right. Anything that requires a permit or a license of some kind is more like a privilege, I agree with you, woiyo.

What someone needs to explain is WHY is it necessary to extend any rights (outside of basic human rights of course) or priviliges to illegal immigrants.

What political benefit is there to Spitzer for "championing" this cause?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:41 pm
woiyo wrote:
okie wrote:

What someone needs to explain is WHY is it necessary to extend any rights (outside of basic human rights of course) or priviliges to illegal immigrants.

Hard to say. What political benefit is there in it to Chertoff and the Bush adminstration?
Quote:
ALBANY - Gov. Eliot Spitzer said yesterday that his new plan to make it easier for illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses while creating one of the most secure licenses in the nation is the result of conversations with an old friend, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

Spitzer said he has known Chertoff for more than 10 years, going back to Spitzer's life as a prosecutor and before, when Chertoff's wife went to Harvard Law School with Spitzer. He said long, collegial conversations with Chertoff over several weeks led to the change.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-stdriv295437229oct29,0,1198126.story
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:04 pm
woiyo wrote:
okie wrote:

I think it is just part of the liberal mindset to pander to groups, in an effort to gain votes in the future. They figure this constitutes a growing political power base.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:26 pm
This discussion is heading toward the booooooooring point.

I have little time for talking to those who can't think past, "obey the law blah blah blah" and "why should tax payers have to pay?"

There are many benefits to taxpayers paying for good solutions to difficult problems. Obviously.

What purpose could there be for a method of reducing everything to one simple solution.......obey the law? Lazinessness, insecurity, paranoia, selfishness, limited mental capacity, limited tolerance of ambiguity, denial of ambivilence, insensitivity to the needs others, stubborness........meanness?

Yes, the law should be obeyed. But it's often possible to do wrong by doing "right." Especially if doing right is defined as blindly obeying the rule. Rules can be and often are wrong or are not comprehensive enough. Those rules should be changed to better address the problem. As Bernie pointed out earlier, Bush has had little trouble with disobeying the law and the Consititution when it suits his purposes. And his disobedience has devastating consequences. Do any of you rule bound people think that was a good idea and if so, why?

And yes, oakie I do admire those who keep pushing to get what they and their families need. I realize it's difficult for you to put yourself in their place, you've lived in this country and your opportunitites are huge compared to citizens of many nations. But do try to think with a little bit of an open mind. What would you do if you had no job and no way to get one and you and your family were starving or your children couldn't get an education when the country next door to yours has plenty of jobs? Would you really just starve? I doubt that.

It's not easy to get into this country legally. Or at least it's not easy if you're one of those who desparately needs to get in.

Oh well, I know I'm wasting my time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:22 pm
Lola wrote-

Quote:
What purpose could there be for a method of reducing everything to one simple solution.......obey the law? Lazinessness, insecurity, paranoia, selfishness, limited mental capacity, limited tolerance of ambiguity, denial of ambivilence, insensitivity to the needs others, stubborness........meanness?

You missed out "not having a care in the world" my dear.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:36 pm
Lola wrote:

I have little time for talking to those who can't think past, "obey the law blah blah blah" and "why should tax payers have to pay?"

There are many benefits to taxpayers paying for good solutions to difficult problems. Obviously.

Yes, the law should be obeyed. But it's often possible to do wrong by doing "right." Especially if doing right is defined as blindly obeying the rule. Rules can be and often are wrong or are not comprehensive enough. Those rules should be changed to better address the problem. As Bernie pointed out earlier, Bush has had little trouble with disobeying the law and the Consititution when it suits his purposes. And his disobedience has devastating consequences. Do any of you rule bound people think that was a good idea and if so, why?

And yes, oakie I do admire those who keep pushing to get what they and their families need. I realize it's difficult for you to put yourself in their place, you've lived in this country and your opportunitites are huge compared to citizens of many nations. But do try to think with a little bit of an open mind. What would you do if you had no job and no way to get one and you and your family were starving or your children couldn't get an education when the country next door to yours has plenty of jobs? Would you really just starve? I doubt that.

It's not easy to get into this country legally. Or at least it's not easy if you're one of those who desparately needs to get in.

You're Canadian aren't you? Are you here legally? Was it a challenge?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:40 pm
Lola wrote-

Quote:
What would you do if you had no job and no way to get one and you and your family were starving or your children couldn't get an education when the country next door to yours has plenty of jobs?

That's cheating. Suppose you are not starving. What people do when they are starving has nothing to do with jobs and education.

What's the big deal with jobs? A sloth would get a job and an education if he was starving. But not otherwise.

I fear you are connecting things up for propaganda purposes.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:17 pm
spendius wrote:
Lola wrote-

Quote:

You missed out "not having a care in the world" my dear.

So says willy nilly Spendi............howdy dear.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:26 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Lola wrote:

You're Canadian aren't you? Are you here legally? Was it a challenge?

No, I was born and raised and have escaped from Dallas, Texas. I've always had plenty of what I need and so has my family. Some people I know are working on getting a green card, but not me. It hasn't been hard so far, other than the phenomenal red tape out the kazoo. And the considerable amount of money for the lawyer who is over worked and half assed. But he's not one of those who needs to be here other than he likes being married to and living with me. It's much harder, btw, for me get landed immigrant status to Canada than it is for him to get a green card here in the U.S.

Why do you ask?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:31 pm
spendius wrote:
Lola wrote-

Quote:
What would you do if you had no job and no way to get one and you and your family were starving or your children couldn't get an education when the country next door to yours has plenty of jobs?

That's cheating. Suppose you are not starving. What people do when they are starving has nothing to do with jobs and education.

What's the big deal with jobs? A sloth would get a job and an education if he was starving. But not otherwise.

I fear you are connecting things up for propaganda purposes.

Dear Sweeti Spendi,

We all know that you're an insensitive, eccentric, idiosyncratic, egocentric old fart. But I love you anyway because you make me laugh.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:37 pm
Lola wrote:

Is reasoning boring to you?

Quote:

What are laws for anyway?

Quote:

Simple solutions are much nicer than complicated ones, and tend to work better, even if they are boring to you.

Quote:

if Bush has disobeyed the law, how come he hasn't been impeached. Accusations don't mean diddly unless they can be backed up, and so far nothing has ever been backed up in this regard. Its all talk by the talkers in Congress, but no reality.

Quote:
And yes, oakie I do admire those who keep pushing to get what they and their families need.

Do you admire bank robbers?
Quote:
I realize it's difficult for you to put yourself in their place, you've lived in this country and your opportunitites are huge compared to citizens of many nations. But do try to think with a little bit of an open mind. What would you do if you had no job and no way to get one and you and your family were starving or your children couldn't get an education when the country next door to yours has plenty of jobs? Would you really just starve? I doubt that.
Thats why I love this country and don't criticize it like libs do on a daily basis. I'm glad I was born here, and I don't plan on living anywhere else.

Quote:

Everything is relative, and I doubt the people coming here are as well off as they can become here, but I doubt seriously they are starving where they are at, or they would be dead before they crossed the border. I would suggest making the best of where they are if the choice is to break the law to do otherwise. Is it the U.S. responsibility to take every last soul from every corner of the world in any number? Unless you think so, your arguments all ring pretty hollow.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 01:11 am
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everything is relative, and I doubt the people coming here are as well off as they can become here, but I doubt seriously they are starving where they are at, or they would be dead before they crossed the border. I would suggest making the best of where they are if the choice is to break the law to do otherwise. Is it the U.S. responsibility to take every last soul from every corner of the world in any number? Unless you think so, your arguments all ring pretty hollow.
[/QUOTE]

I suggest you go visit some parts of Mexico. Or just watch news programs like the recent ones on CNN about Korea, or Afganistan, etc. Do you not understand about ignorance, lack of education, medical care, having no resources to fall back on? "Do the best they can"....... unbelievable! You don't know squat about what you're talking about. Inform yourself, then express opinions.
0 Replies