What is so bad about Gov. Spitzer's plan? Hillary is Right!

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:01 pm
We should ignore the laws that are clearly idiotic. Medical Marijuana comes to mind.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:31 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Lola wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
I think plenty of immigrants would want the ID, not to pass themselves off as citizens, but just to be able to get to work everyday.

Why should we make it easier for people to break the law?

What would we do without the rigid, all good/all bad rule bound people of this world? Breath easier and get down to work on real solutions to real problems.

So then we should just ignore any rules or laws we disagree with?

How far do you want to take that?
I don't agree with the law making rape illegal, so should I just ignore it?
Should I expect everyone to allow me to ignore that law?

There you go again, MM. Concrete thinking is a problem that does not allow for problem solving. What does one do when a law is immoral or unjust? Blind obedience is dangerous. Doubt and social advocacy are needed in an evolving society.

I don't entirely agree with Centroles. Ignoring laws can result in loss of independence. Civil disobedience is an extreme alternative that I believe should be reserved for a time when all else has failed. Working within the system to change bad laws is my preferred method. Lessons of the 60s..........or at least my interpretation of those lessons. In the same way we should be pursuing diplomatic solutions in foreign affairs, so should we try diplomacy, advocacy and attempting to change laws and elect leaders who know how to problem solve and negotiate at home.

The more I study for this evil social work test, the more I sound like a social worker. Ah well, I suppose I should make peace with my past.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:01 pm
Lola wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Lola wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
I think plenty of immigrants would want the ID, not to pass themselves off as citizens, but just to be able to get to work everyday.

Why should we make it easier for people to break the law?

What would we do without the rigid, all good/all bad rule bound people of this world? Breath easier and get down to work on real solutions to real problems.

So then we should just ignore any rules or laws we disagree with?

How far do you want to take that?
I don't agree with the law making rape illegal, so should I just ignore it?
Should I expect everyone to allow me to ignore that law?

There you go again, MM. Concrete thinking is a problem that does not allow for problem solving. What does one do when a law is immoral or unjust? Blind obedience is dangerous. Doubt and social advocacy are needed in an evolving society.

I don't entirely agree with Centroles. Ignoring laws can result in loss of independence. Civil disobedience is an extreme alternative that I believe should be reserved for a time when all else has failed. Working within the system to change bad laws is my preferred method. Lessons of the 60s..........or at least my interpretation of those lessons. In the same way we should be pursuing diplomatic solutions in foreign affairs, so should we try diplomacy, advocacy and attempting to change laws and elect leaders who know how to problem solve and negotiate at home.

The more I study for this evil social work test, the more I sound like a social worker. Ah well, I suppose I should make peace with my past.

The law is the law. If it's found to be immoral or unjust it should be changed. Until it is changed, it should be obeyed as it's the law. There is not much more black and white then the law. You either break or you don't.

A NYS drivers license is a gateway document. With a license, you gain access to other documents and programs. That is because it is assumed that if you have a license, you are a citizen as you had to produce valid documentation to get a license. With Spitzer's program, that is no longer viable. I am glad to see it go away and hope it never comes back.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:31 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The law is the law. If it's found to be immoral or unjust it should be changed. Until it is changed, it should be obeyed as it's the law.

How about the Alabama law against black people sitting in front of the bus? In your opinion, did Rosa Parks act wrongly when she broke it in 1955? Your categoric statement would imply that she did.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:43 pm
Thomas wrote:

Permission to live in America and permission to drive in America have nothing to do with one another.

Huh?

We aren't talking about being legally here as a non-citizen, Thomas. Surely you see the difference?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:17 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Quote:
The law is the law. If it's found to be immoral or unjust it should be changed. Until it is changed, it should be obeyed as it's the law. There is not much more black and white then the law. You either break or you don't.

We're not talking about the breaking of the law. Of course that's black or white. We're talking about what to do about an unjust law or law that is too restrictive to address a complex problem.

Quote:
A NYS drivers license is a gateway document. With a license, you gain access to other documents and programs. That is because it is assumed that if you have a license, you are a citizen as you had to produce valid documentation to get a license. With Spitzer's program, that is no longer viable. I am glad to see it go away and hope it never comes back.

That's funny. When I re-entered the country from Canada two years ago, I was asked in a very stern voice by a young border officer if I understood that a DL was not proof of citizenship. He almost didn't let me enter until I obtained a copy of my passport.

No one assumes that a DL is proof of citizenship. If they do, they're mistaken. What you're claiming is ridiculous.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:36 pm
If you are the manager of an athletic club, and you ask a person for his membership or guest card and they have neither, do you go ahead and give them access to use all the workout equipment?

If you are the government of a state, and you ask a person for proof of being there legally, either as a citizen or legal visitor and they don't have any, do you give them access to all the rights and privileges of being there? After all, driving is a privilege.

This whole argument is preposterous, and I find it incredible that some here actually are attempting to say it makes sense. Some of the arguments put forth here on a2k, I have to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 08:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:

A NYS drivers license is a gateway document. With a license, you gain access to other documents and programs. That is because it is assumed that if you have a license, you are a citizen as you had to produce valid documentation to get a license.

Yet again, we hear the same straw men argument that Lou Dobbs and so many misinformed people throw up there.

Under Spitzer's plan, there would be three seperate types of licenses a person could get. The first would be a stand in for a passport to go to Canada or Mexico. The second would be a traditional drivers licence usuable for federal identification purposes. And the third would be clearly marked as not valid for federal identification purposes and would be unusable for any purpose other than driving.

Illegal immigrants would only be getting that third type of ID. They would not be getting a traditional drivers licence. Traditional licenses aren't marked that they are not usable for federal verification purposes. And thus they will not be able to do anything with that ID other than the ability to drive.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:05 am
okie wrote:
If you are the manager of an athletic club, and you ask a person for his membership or guest card and they have neither, do you go ahead and give them access to use all the workout equipment?

If you are the government of a state, and you ask a person for proof of being there legally, either as a citizen or legal visitor and they don't have any, do you give them access to all the rights and privileges of being there? After all, driving is a privilege.

This whole argument is preposterous, and I find it incredible that some here actually are attempting to say it makes sense. Some of the arguments put forth here on a2k, I have to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming.

Maybe you are dreaming, did you ever think about that? And what a bad ole dream you're having. Surely you can see that your examples do not fit the complicated situation we have with immigration.

One complication I can think of is that no one will live or die based on whether they get into some hoyie toudie athletic club in Oklahoma or Portland. The United States is a very prosperous, if paranoid country. I think we often think we're better than everyone else........but we are very well off. There are billions of people outside our borders who are struggling to make it. They're don't care at all about doing the Stair Master in a brand new little latex suit.

There are no really good answers, but some are surely better than others. Do you not have some admiration for hard working people who don't give up?

Hopefully we can evolve into a people who can be more humane and less interested in how much we can get for ourselves. If we can grow to be a little less scared, less stuck up, less arrogant, we'll think of a way to focus much more of our attention and money on people and less on contributing hot air to fatten up the big fat asses of huge corporations and their buddies, the very select over-privileged few.

Wow! Listen to me. Because I've got my head in lots of social work books this week, I believe I'm finding myself back in 1972 when I went to social work school in New York City.....nice memory, a good time in my life.

I think we should spend a lot less money and lives on narcissistic, grandiose and paranoid fantasies of forcing the world to do it our way. We'd be better off if we tried to supply some of the vital things the third world people need. That would be a powerful motivator when it comes to negotiation time. I know that's a complicated thing too. It would be hard to regulate. But it's a better direction to go in than the deep abyss we've been sucked into with this spoiled brat administration.

Oh well, never mind me. I'm just a little flower chilelle.

But anyway.................you need a better example.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:09 am
Centroles wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

A NYS drivers license is a gateway document. With a license, you gain access to other documents and programs. That is because it is assumed that if you have a license, you are a citizen as you had to produce valid documentation to get a license.

Yet again, we hear the same straw men argument that Lou Dobbs and so many misinformed people throw up there.

Under Spitzer's plan, there would be three seperate types of licenses a person could get. The first would be a stand in for a passport to go to Canada or Mexico. The second would be a traditional drivers licence usuable for federal identification purposes. And the third would be clearly marked as not valid for federal identification purposes and would be unusable for any purpose other than driving.

Illegal immigrants would only be getting that third type of ID. They would not be getting a traditional drivers licence. Traditional licenses aren't marked that they are not usable for federal verification purposes. And thus they will not be able to do anything with that ID other than the ability to drive.

Thanks for this, centroles. I'm sure glad you do your homework.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:12 am
okie wrote:
We aren't talking about being legally here as a non-citizen, Thomas. Surely you see the difference?

Of course I do. And my point is that legal driving and legal residing are separate issues. There is nothing wrong with having visas to attest lawful residence, drivers licenses to attest lawful driving, and a processes for issuing each that ignores the other.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 07:05 am
Centroles wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

The baseline issue is WHY should ILLEGAL immigrants get ANYTHING (other than deported).

You use the "straw man" argument that "the majority are hard working people". That is irrelevant. They can still be hard working people AND be here legally and work safely and enjoy the benefits of this society.

Those who overstay their Visa's are just as guilty as those who "swim accross the border".

Apparently, foreigners have no respect for our laws, yet demand we respect their wishes? Let me see an American try that in Mexico or Europe.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 07:06 am
By the way, what exactly was Hillary "right" about? Being for it or against it or understanding it or blaming Bush for it?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 07:25 am
woiyo wrote:
The baseline issue is WHY should ILLEGAL immigrants get ANYTHING (other than deported).

Because Spitzer's plan will increase traffic safety if he is right, I am wrong, and illegal immigrants will accept the new licenses. The plan would encourage incompetent drivers among illegal immigrants to drive less, and competent drivers among them to drive more. Spitzer's initiative isn't about taking a stand on illegal immigration. It's about a pragmatic improvement in the safety of New York's roads.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:12 am
It is a bit difficult to credit this legality protest. Libby, or course, will be pardoned, illegal acts notwithstanding. Or there is the example of the retroactive erasing of illegal acts by the telecoms and the administration re wiretapping. So, all that is needed to remove the 'they are here illegally and that's what we care about' proclamation is to grant amnesty.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:38 am
Thomas wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Because Spitzer's plan will increase traffic safety if he is right, I am wrong, and illegal immigrants will accept the new licenses. The plan would encourage incompetent drivers among illegal immigrants to drive less, and competent drivers among them to drive more. Spitzer's initiative isn't about taking a stand on illegal immigration. It's about a pragmatic improvement in the safety of New York's roads.

Since when does a license make you a "better" driver?

HOW does his plan "encourage incompetent drivers to drive less"?

WHY should taxpayers incur the cost "training" illegal immigrants to be "better drivers"?

Your argument is not convincing and I still feel there are only "political" reasons for Spitzer to suggest this plan. It has nothing to do with "improving the safety of NY Roads, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:45 am
this issue is complicated. I agree with woiyo (holy ****) that an illegal is illegal and that's really the only point. They don't belong here.

Having said that, we can't just put the cat back in the bag. this is 13 million people for god's sake, and no matter who says what they're not going to be depoerted.

Meanwhile we argue this nonsense and more and more illegals sneak in because we're so busy arguing we're not tightening up our borders and security.

Makes great party conversation though huh?
Laughing
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:48 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
this issue is complicated. I agree with woiyo (holy ****) that an illegal is illegal and that's really the only point. They don't belong here.

Having said that, we can't just put the cat back in the bag. this is 13 million people for god's sake, and no matter who says what they're not going to be depoerted.

Meanwhile we argue this nonsense and more and more illegals sneak in because we're so busy arguing we're not tightening up our borders and security.

Makes great party conversation though huh?
Laughing

They don't have to be "rounded up " and deported.

One thing that will slow illegal immigration is stopping the incentive, which is jobs. Penalize the employer.

Force these day laborers to come legally.

Why is this hard for Washington to understand?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:55 am
Lola wrote:

There are no really good answers, but some are surely better than others. Do you not have some admiration for hard working people who don't give up?

Try enforcing the law for the first good answer.
No I do not admire people for entering a country illegally. Most people would not consider it, so why admire it. I admire hard work, but let us allow hard working people enter legally, so that they can be equals to the rest of us. Why do you guys want to keep them down? And why do you insist on dissing the people that worked hard, did things legally, and are here legally?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:59 am
woiyo wrote:
Since when does a license make you a "better" driver?

It doesn't. But If I can't drive, I'm likely to fail the test to get the license, and if I don't have a licens, I'm less likely to drive than if I do.

woiyo wrote:
HOW does his plan "encourage incompetent drivers to drive less"?

By giving competent drivers among the illegal residents the chance to get a driver's license, which in turn gives the incompetent drivers an opportunity to delegate their driving to them.

woiyo wrote:
WHY should taxpayers incur the cost "training" illegal immigrants to be "better drivers"?

They shouldn't -- and I don't see where Spitzer's plan to train illegal immigrants on taxpayer money.

woiyo wrote:
Your argument is not convincing and I still feel there are only "political" reasons for Spitzer to suggest this plan. It has nothing to do with "improving the safety of NY Roads, in my opinion.

That's fine; neither of us has any obligation to convince one another.
0 Replies