Electricity Blackout

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:53 pm
I just saw videos from New York and Toronto, heard live reports via satelite telephone.

Incredible!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,898 • Replies: 214
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:06 pm
New York, Cleveland, Toronto, Ottawa -- lot's of places. There are outages as far south as Marion, Ohio, a good 100 miles south of Cleveland. Could be something similar to the great 1967 blackout, when the entire grid based on Niagara Falls collapsed. There's a slew of power generating stations there--and if they start to go down, it overloads the others, and they shut down.

Still waiting for more news . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:07 pm
NPR says Detroit also, that it is not a terrorist attack, but that there was a fire at a Manhattan power plant, and the system started to shut down as overloads backed-up. This is exactly what happended in 1967.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:08 pm
So that means I have to go to the closest safest place if I have no electricity at home ... I know! ... I'll drop into the nearest bar and wait it out, even if it takes all night!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:11 pm
NPR's talkin' to a guy in New York right now, who says the clock in Time's Square is stopped at 4:08 p.m.

Heeven, you'll need to be fortified against all possibilities, but i'm sure you'll take care of that when you get to the local.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:13 pm
Just heard it started with the biig northeast grid connected with the Niagara River - tv just showed flights over NY area didn't show fire - but I'm not sure, because we have flickering on and off here.

Power seems to have come back now - I hope. NY streets look like marathon races - all those people walking. And I just heard that they are getting those poor people out of the subways in orderly fashion.

I thought the last time this happened (same grid) they were supposed to fix it because they'd learned a thing or two?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:14 pm
Well, our late night news is nearly only live reporting from the East coast - now 15 mins longer than usually.

We are rathewr sure here that such couldn't happen in Europe due to the net of different power stations from different places/countries here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:18 pm
Big cities like those sound like deathtraps without electricity. Surprisingly, this is the first I've heard about it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:20 pm
And it's hot, too?
Things look civil now but I dread when night falls.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:34 pm
roger wrote:
Big cities like those sound like deathtraps without electricity. Surprisingly, this is the first I've heard about it.

Indeed, the tv reports in out tv-news were already running before the news alert of the NYT was sent out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:38 pm
I was in the subway when the lights went out in 1965. At least that was November........not too hot, not too cold. This is horrendous!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:06 pm
For all of you folks who were laughing at us Californians with our energy problems, all I can say is, what goes around comes around. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:10 pm
wow. Finally someone is talking about this outage. Remember what happened when the elevators got stuck the last time? The population suddenly increased. Cjhsa, Stop that. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:11 pm
Wow, this is huge! The first I've heard of it, as well.

eoe, agreed about concerned about tonight...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:15 pm
I remember those blackouts in the the '60s. Of course back then, no one speculated about terrorism as a possible cause. Now, I'll bet, it was most people's first or second thought!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:16 pm
Hubby is in Cleveland on business. I wonder if he'll be able to call tonight? They said cell phones were unsupported. Oh well, I don't suppose I should worry about him being without electricity. "Hot" in Cleveland is the same as a nice spring day here at home, so he will not suffer. Except that his computer won't work, grrrrr.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:32 pm
We have power
Here in Québec, no cities had been touched by this outage.

Seems that the problem originated at the Niagara Mohawk Power Company which is located in Syracuse, N.Y.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:35 pm
Encouraging news
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:45 pm
Don't you love it how the media focuses on New York and none of the other major metropolitan areas this has affected? What a joke.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 05:14 pm
I agree
cjhsa wrote:
Don't you love it how the media focuses on New York and none of the other major metropolitan areas this has affected? What a joke.

I watched CNN and they were only talking about New-York!

Fortunately here in Canada they were focusing on the cities in Ontario, but were only fed back images of New-York no other american cities.
0 Replies