Well, this is my last night in this house...

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 07:52 pm
This is our last night together and my husband and I went out for dinner, did some banking, and ran some errands, etc. Tomorrow he heads for Strasbourg to a conference and I'm off to Vancouver Island and my new temporary home.

Our banker, who's taking care of the title transfer, etc. said that we were an anomaly. She'd never seen such an amiable separating couple. But we both feel that we are friends, we still love each other and we're taking care of each other via the separation agreement. We both dumped our lawyers due to their 'adversarial' approach and we decided to let our original agreement (that we wrote) stand.

Anyway, I am sad, but I hope to remain in close contact with him throughout the ensuing months. I mean, I'm relieved to be on my own and excited to be starting anew and getting my own home, but I still don't want to lose him from my life.

I don't know any other way to do things. Why fight? Why be acrimonious? If you love someone, you want to ease it for them, not shoot them in the head, right?

I'm so mired in this that I don't know what's normal anymore. I just know what's us. So, is this weird? Are we anomalous? I hope not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,032 • Replies: 85
No top replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:00 pm
Mame you are one brave lady and I know you can make a successful transition.

My best wishs for your new life. You are going to have trials and tribulations, but I know you are one gutsy lady.

seaglass
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:13 pm
Did you just grow apart?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:13 pm
I think that's cool and wish you both very well. I'm still in contact with my ex. We do love each other, but the separation made sense. I was upset at the time, but even then we handled matters amicably. I see him when I go to Los Angeles and we talk on the phone once a month or so. I'm still a fan of his writing and many of his work efforts.

He has a new wife, and I've not talked with her. Different people, different lives.. I'm not jealous. I don't want him back as a husband, but the friendship didn't die.

It did near kill me to leave our house, but that was some time later.

I'm excited for you, for the new place and all that involves.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:20 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I think that's cool and wish you both very well. I'm still in contact with my ex. We do love each other, but the separation made sense. I was upset at the time, but even then we handled matters amicably. I see him when I go to Los Angeles and we talk on the phone once a month or so. I'm still a fan of his writing and many of his work efforts.

He has a new wife, and I've not talked with her. Different people, different lives.. I'm not jealous. I don't want him back as a husband, but the friendship didn't die.

It did near kill me to leave our house, but that was some time later.

I'm excited for you, for the new place and all that involves.

Thank you! Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm so glad to hear about the amiability of things in your life. Life's too short for shite.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:24 pm
Thank you, Sglass - I take that as a real compliment coming from you.

Chai: No, we didn't grow apart - we're still very much on the same level, but our priorities have shifted. His whole life has become his work or vice versa. He's at the peak of his career and he deserves all the accolades he's getting, but it's like living with an Einstein. I am happy for him, but want something different for me.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:20 pm
Looking forward to hearing you chronicle your new life as an Island girl!

Can't wait to see what you do with the gardens and the house decorating...

So when is the Housewarming party?

Here's my gift to you for your new beginning:

http://www.devynns.com/pictures/Gourmet-Housewarming-fruit-gift-Basket.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:37 pm
A time for mixed emotions, I guess, Mame. Sad about the end of the marriage. (Impressed with the lack of acrimony.) But this is blended with excitement about what the future may hold.

I wish you the best, kid.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:20 pm
All good wishes, Mame.

x
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:28 pm
(NickFun hears that Mame is now single! Now's his chance!) Just kidding Mame! You are a remarkable woman! Good luck to you!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 05:44 am
I am completely impressed .
What an amazing thing for the two of you to accomplish.

I wish everyone would treat each other with respect and caring the way it sounds like you two are still doing with each other.

Will you remain in each others lives? Friends? Visits? Or are you both just wanting to bring it to a close?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:08 am
No, you are not anomalous. It can be done, it's just rare to hear about it. Who would buy the Enquirer if it said "Ben and Jen Separate Anomalously?"

Enjoy the quiet... and knowing where everything is, and that if the lids not back on the toothpaste, it was you.

Go forth and live, Sister.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:50 am
Re: Well, this is my last night in this house...
Mame wrote:
This is our last night together and my husband and I went out for dinner, did some banking, and ran some errands, etc. Tomorrow he heads for Strasbourg to a conference and I'm off to Vancouver Island and my new temporary home.

Our banker, who's taking care of the title transfer, etc. said that we were an anomaly. She'd never seen such an amiable separating couple. But we both feel that we are friends, we still love each other and we're taking care of each other via the separation agreement. We both dumped our lawyers due to their 'adversarial' approach and we decided to let our original agreement (that we wrote) stand.

Anyway, I am sad, but I hope to remain in close contact with him throughout the ensuing months. I mean, I'm relieved to be on my own and excited to be starting anew and getting my own home, but I still don't want to lose him from my life.

I don't know any other way to do things. Why fight? Why be acrimonious? If you love someone, you want to ease it for them, not shoot them in the head, right?

I'm so mired in this that I don't know what's normal anymore. I just know what's us. So, is this weird? Are we anomalous? I hope not.

If you're not normal, it's a GOOD not normal.

Bless you both, and I hope all goes well for you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:13 am
Mame--

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 09:33 am
Wow, big changes, Mame. It will be different for awhile but I've not doubt you'll do well. Best wishes.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 08:45 pm
Well, he left at 7:00 a.m. Friday for Strasbourg and I left at 9:00 a.m. for the Island.

I got here and tried to feel free and happy but all I felt was this overwhelming sadness that this was where we ended up. Mr. Scientist called it a "failed experiment" but his emails since then tell me it was more than that to him, too, thank goodness. He called me today from his computer (yay Skype) in Strasbourg and we had a good chat.

Anyway, yesterday I settled in, got some grocs, hunkered down, and then reality set in. So, I set about feeling sorry for myself for an hour or two (yep, a little tears here).

Then I called a sister and got through all that; went to bed and woke up this morning feeling a whole lot better. Did some exploring down the TransCanda Highway (transation: I now know which way is North) and finally got on the internet and put out a couple of feelers for jobs, and found some activities that might be fun. I've got a craft table at the Cobble Hill Craft Market or whatever it's called for next Sunday where I can sell my stuff, and there are Spanish lessons going, and dancing lessons, and all kinds of whatnot, all around town.

It's probably going to be bad and good, off and on, for a while, esp. since so many things have happened at once, but I can actually breathe again. I tell you, this isn't as bad as the other thing that happened. And you know, the only two pictures I found in my stuff were of my two guys - him and Ollie. Weird. I had no idea I'd done that. Is that Freudian? Or Karmic? Or what? Who knows?

Anyway, taking deep breaths and knowing it will all be for the best and we'll both get through it, minorally unscathed.

Thank you for all your support. Breaking us really IS hard to do, even when it's the right choice. No wonder there are so many songs about it.

My goal is that we have a really nice transition out of this relationship into a wonderful, supportive friendship.

Will let you know when I get a job and what it is. I've applied for a p-t bartender position at a curling rink Laughing just for the fun of it. There are other prospects, but not too many, but I mainly get my jobs via word of mouth, though, so we'll see...

It is an adventure I'm on, well, we're all on it, aren't we?, and I'm looking forward and trying not to look back too much.

Thanks to everyone who replied... will keep you posted Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 08:51 pm
That's a lot for a day or so, Mame. Yes, it'll be good and bad, an interesting evolution. ((hugs)).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 08:53 pm
I hope everything works well for you and your new and exciting life....and for that friendship.

Not being friends after a break up sends me nuts....alll that love and knowledge of each other and fun and shared experience and fighting to understand and all that....what a WASTE if you can't be friends.

Well, no experience is wasted, but you get what I mean.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Mame)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 08:54 pm
OK girlfriend wipe your tears, pack your bags and get your butt to the Big Island and we will go holo holo.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 09:26 pm
All the best, Mame. You might not be in the majority, but you are definitely doing it the right way. Where do I send the pink fuzzy slippers and the tub of Rocky Road?
0 Replies