Will Hillary Give Obama The Vice Pres Nod?

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
nimh, soz, snood...l wrote a big thing but chucked it as it seemed rather reiterative and with not much value.

My protest here was to snood's description of Hillary... "the depth and breadth of Hillary's ambition". Given the rigors and money necessary for anyone to run for Pres, serious ambition is a given for all of them. I fathom no good reason to single her out (in this respect) other than that she is female and thus such ambition is in bad taste...like a low caste Hindu trying to purchase a Rolls Royce.

nimh, you described Hillary as "an aggressive and shrewd political animal" (I won't even bother with the 'shrew' etymological root) but that's a description that easily matches what we know of Lincoln, for example. I think we understand that if Obama didn't match those two adjectives, he'd simply fail in his run for top office. So, why does it have traction re Hillary?

As to my notion that perceptions of her are in the process of change away from these (for lack of a better term) conventional wisdom negatives, that's somewhat predictive for sure, but it is based on the premise that we are seeing this change now among those who are paying close attention and that we'll see a similar trend as exposure and familiarity increases and broadens. I might be wrong, but I see the evidence pointing that way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 02:51 pm
I mostly see it as equal and opposite political machinery. Her machinery has been doing a really good job. I don't think it's scales falling from people's eyes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:02 pm
while everyone is picking Hillary apart remember this... there is going to be a general election.... Hillary IS going to be the candidate.... the repubs will put up one of the pieces of unacceptable **** you're seeing on the news.

Do you want to support Hillary or give your vote away to an independent which will give the white house back to 4 more years of war and bush style leadership, or outright vote for a republican who will continue us on exactly the same path that has damn near ruined us?

Those are the realistic choices.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:44 pm
soz

I'll stop after this post. Is this relevant?...our household here has given money to just one candidate this year...Barack.

I said earlier that her campaign has done just about everything right and that includes changing peoples' minds about who she really is (who she is perceived to be, is of course what that means). Therefore, one could argue that blatham has been as influenced by positive PR as others have been by negative PR. I guess it isn't a discussion that can go much further. We'll just have to wait and see how she comes to be regarded over the next bit of time, and after if she attains the top job.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:50 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
while everyone is picking Hillary apart remember this... there is going to be a general election.... Hillary IS going to be the candidate.... the repubs will put up one of the pieces of unacceptable **** you're seeing on the news.

Do you want to support Hillary or give your vote away to an independent which will give the white house back to 4 more years of war and bush style leadership, or outright vote for a republican who will continue us on exactly the same path that has damn near ruined us?

Those are the realistic choices.

What do you mean, BPB? Which independent?

I've said plenty of times that if Hillary is the nominee, I'll most likely vote for her. (Some very small chances of non-Democrats getting my vote.) Part of my objection to her is that I DON'T think she has the best chance of winning in a match-up against the Republicans. I feel less strongly about that now than earlier, dunno where things will go from here. I'm still far from convinced that she has the best chance out of the Dems, though.

I know you like Obama too, blatham, that's cool.

I'm so interested in what's going to happen in the primaries. Things could easily go kabloom in a few different directions.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 03:58 pm
blatham wrote:
nimh, you described Hillary as "an aggressive and shrewd political animal" (I won't even bother with the 'shrew' etymological root) but that's a description that easily matches what we know of Lincoln, for example. I think we understand that if Obama didn't match those two adjectives, he'd simply fail in his run for top office. So, why does it have traction re Hillary?

Eh - not sure what your issue with my point there was, then, since I actually affirmed that this perception could now actually be playing out as a favourable thing for her. Here:

nimh wrote:
Its not that voters are finding out that she is really not the agressive and shrewd political animal her critics have tried to make her out to be; perhaps she's in the lead because voters still think that's what she is - and that's what they want at this moment in time.

If there is one element that attracts me in Hillary over Obama, it's exactly that -- that she does seem like more of "an aggressive and shrewd political animal" - and I think thats exactly what the Dems need.

For now I'd still rather go with Obama of the two though, but thats purely for policy reasons - I think he's a real progressive, and she's a 'Beltway realist'. The electability issue doesnt play a role for me anymore in the comparison, because by now I dont think Obama is any more inherently electable than Hillary.

Edwards, on the other hand, I deem both the most progressive and the most electable - an irresistable combination, really.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 04:05 pm
Yeah, I like Edwards as well. But as regards progressive, my perception of that element is his strategic decision to place himself in what looked to be something of a vacuum. Still, I'd be pleased as punch with either of the three.

If it ends up being Romney vs Edwards, the cartoonists will have a bloody field day with the hair thing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:31 pm
Hope you folks don't mind, but I just found this piece by one of my favorite writers and it is just too close a fit to not post here...
Quote:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:31 pm
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2007/10/15/071015taco_talk_hertzberg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:37 pm
How, though, blatham? Is anyone saying that she isn't the subject of silly criticism as well as substantial criticism? (And I agree with Hertzberg's substantial criticism in the last paragraph.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:42 pm
First Blatham, then Fidel Castro and now Rudy...
Quote:
Rudy Giuliani is predicting pretty unequivocally that Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic presidential nominee for 2008, and that she'll pick Barack Obama to be her running mate. "He's kind of earned it," Giuliani says. "He brings a kind of enthusiasm to the ticket that everyone desires and likes to have."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:06 pm
Well, from the other two I could understand such a wrong call... Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 07:28 pm
In light of Blatham's argument, I thought this bit from Soz on the other page was worth repeating..

sozobe wrote:
blatham wrote:
But for God's sake, if we consider the number of elections we have all seen in our lifetimes in western nations and then consider how few women have managed to achieve national leadership positions, I don't know how we can think about that fact without concluding that there is a bunch of stuff going on below the level of consciousness for most of us.

[..] But that's where I agree with nimh, too. This is not as zero-sum as you seem to make it. Of course, there is sexism. [..] But it's too simplistic to say that if you do not want Hillary to be the Democratic nominee, it's because of sexism.

There has been plenty of discrimination against Mormons. That's why you don't like Romney, right? Or even Richardson -- surely if you don't favor him over the other Dems it is because of your latent fear of Hispanics. [..]

You see?

Again, yes, smears occur, and yes, they're frequently damaging. But the fact that a smear is aimed at someone doesn't mean that they automatically become someone to support. One must look through and around the smears -- and when I do, there are things about Hillary that give me pause. [..]

Seems straightforward enough..
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 09:29 pm
nimh wrote:
In light of Blatham's argument, I thought this bit from Soz on the other page was worth repeating..

sozobe wrote:
blatham wrote:
But for God's sake, if we consider the number of elections we have all seen in our lifetimes in western nations and then consider how few women have managed to achieve national leadership positions, I don't know how we can think about that fact without concluding that there is a bunch of stuff going on below the level of consciousness for most of us.

[..] But that's where I agree with nimh, too. This is not as zero-sum as you seem to make it. Of course, there is sexism. [..] But it's too simplistic to say that if you do not want Hillary to be the Democratic nominee, it's because of sexism.

There has been plenty of discrimination against Mormons. That's why you don't like Romney, right? Or even Richardson -- surely if you don't favor him over the other Dems it is because of your latent fear of Hispanics. [..]

You see?

Again, yes, smears occur, and yes, they're frequently damaging. But the fact that a smear is aimed at someone doesn't mean that they automatically become someone to support. One must look through and around the smears -- and when I do, there are things about Hillary that give me pause. [..]

Seems straightforward enough..

I don't perceive this in terms of absolutes (which I take 'zero sum' to be a synonym of). If I did, I'd have to completely reformulate my notions of Thatcher. Discomfort with Hillary doesn't necessarily point to some underlying sexist presumptions or biases or remnants of twenty years of right wing smearing. But it can and it very often does, at least in some part. I have the notion that these things have affected many of us, myself included, in ways which I have only recently begun to more fully appreciate.

So let me just leave off with a simple request that we attend to the wisps of this floating about in american political culture.

the end.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:00 am
Time for some cheering news. This is a piece from Krugman's new book and it is certainly relevant to Obama's situation as an african american...
Quote:
Beyond the blunt, crude fact that America is getting less white, there's a more uplifting reason to believe that the political exploitation of race may be losing its force: As a nation we've become much less racist. The most dramatic evidence of diminishing racism is the way people respond to questions about a subject that once struck terror into white hearts: miscegenation. In 1978, as the ascent of movement conservatism to power was just beginning, only 36 percent of Americans polled by Gallup approved of marriages between whites and blacks, while 54 percent disapproved. As late as 1991 only a plurality of 48 percent approved. By 2002, however, 65 percent of Americans approved of interracial marriages; by June 2007, that was up to 77 percent.
http://www.salon.com/books/review/2007/10/15/paul_krugman/
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:19 am
I guess that explains why some factions have resorted to this kind of humor:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2894754#2894754

They know that the old prejudices aren't too far below the surface.

Some of the stuff I've seen circulated in emails is very ugly.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:38 pm
Hhmmm... I think we might have to shelve the idea of a Hillary/Obama ticket..

"When talking to Clintonites in recent days, I've noticed that they've come to despise Obama. I suppose that may be natural in the final weeks of a competitive campaign when much is at stake. But these people don't need any prompting in private conversations to decry Obama as a dishonest poser. They're not spinning for strategic purposes. They truly believe it. [..] "They really, really hate Obama," one Democratic operative unaffiliated with any campaign, tells me. "They can't stand him. They talk about him as if he's worse than Bush."

Quote:
Hillary on Obama: Fear and Hatred on the Campaign Trail

Hillary on the attack. That's the narrative of the Democratic contest this week [...] Senator Clinton has begun to swing hard at the Illinoisan. Not just at his ideas, but at him, at his character.

Clinton spokesperson Howard Wolfson said the other day, "Senator Obama is a fabulous orator, but we need more than words. We don't need someone who says one thing and does another, somebody who talks a good game but doesn't have the courage of their convictions. And on issue after issue, Senator Obama says one thing and does another." The Clinton campaign sent out an email on Monday calling Obama Karl Rove's preferred Democratic (ouch!) and blasting Obama for supposedly not understanding his own health care proposal, for lying when he has said he has not harbored presidential ambitions for years, and for allegedly running a slush fund (meaning a leadership political action committee, which he manages in the same manner Clinton runs her own leadership PAC). In other words, the fellow who has inspired thousands--if not millions--is a sleazy, hypocritical, incompetent sham. On Monday, Clinton called Obama a "talker" not a "doer" and a purveyor of "false hopes." [...]

This is much tougher an attack than anything Obama has hurled at her--and he has been critical of Clinton. [...] And it shows--take your pick--either the meanness or toughness of Clinton and her posse. [...]

When talking to Clintonites in recent days, I've noticed that they've come to despise Obama. I suppose that may be natural in the final weeks of a competitive campaign when much is at stake. But these people don't need any prompting in private conversations to decry Obama as a dishonest poser. They're not spinning for strategic purposes. They truly believe it. And other Democrats in Washington report encountering the same when speaking with Clinton campaign people. "They really, really hate Obama," one Democratic operative unaffiliated with any campaign, tells me. "They can't stand him. They talk about him as if he's worse than Bush."

What do they hate about him? After all, there aren't a lot of deep policy differences between the two, and he hasn't gone for the jugular during the campaign. "It's his presumptuousness," this operative says. "That he thinks he can deny her the nomination. Who is he to try to do that?" [..] A senior House Democratic aide notes, "The Clinton people are going nuts in how much they hate him. But the problem is their narrative has gone beyond the plausible." [..]

But the Clinton attacks [..] say something about Hillary Clinton. She's adopting a whatever-it-takes strategy, mixing legitimate criticisms with truth-stretching blasts. [..] Whatever-it-takes often works in political campaigns. But we all know that hatred can be blinding. Clinton is, as has been noted, running the risk of alienating those kindhearted souls of Iowa by slamming the lovable, likable and inspiring Barack Obama. She could end up looking a bit desperate. [..] If the Clinton campaign throws anything it can against Obama--with little regard for accuracy or decency--that will reflect her own character and values. It could, to turn her words against her, be a disqualification for the job.

Clinton is playing with fire. In explaining to reporters that she will be tougher on Obama, she said, "Now the fun part starts." That was tasteless. It's a remark that certainly can--and will be--used against her. And some Democratic voters might worry that the comment reveals too much desire for (political) blood.

In politics, there can be a thin line between tough and mean. (Ask Rudy Giuliani.) The future of Clinton's campaign--and perhaps the future of the United States--will be determined by how this woman navigates the difference.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:10 pm
I don't think their hatred of Clinton (which I beleive is simply a hatred when compared to Obama, when compared to Rudy McRomney I'm sure they love Clinton) would keep them from voting for a Clinton/Obama ticket.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:34 am
maporsche wrote:
I don't think their hatred of Clinton (which I beleive is simply a hatred when compared to Obama, when compared to Rudy McRomney I'm sure they love Clinton) would keep them from voting for a Clinton/Obama ticket.

Whose hatred of Clinton? I dont know if you're responding to my post, but that was about the apparent hatred of Obama among Clintonites. And with Clintonites, they mean the people in the Clinton campaign, so that would definitely keep them from choosing Obama as Veep.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 05:21 am
Quote:
What do they hate about him? After all, there aren't a lot of deep policy differences between the two, and he hasn't gone for the jugular during the campaign. "It's his presumptuousness," this operative says. "That he thinks he can deny her the nomination. Who is he to try to do that?" [..] A senior House Democratic aide notes, "The Clinton people are going nuts in how much they hate him. But the problem is their narrative has gone beyond the plausible."

I think the nature of this "hatred" is described in this quote. How dare ANYONE presume to actually run against Hillary? I mean, the GALL!

Much ado about not much. Has nothing to do with Obama. If you believe this pap, they'd "hate" anyone who dares challenge Hillary.
0 Replies