Surgery--Again

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:50 pm
@littlek,
Yes, make them help you. Do you want me to start with the swearing?
msolga

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know about Roberta, osso .... but I don't mind at all if you do! Wink
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:58 pm
@msolga,
Ok, **** it, the precipice of medical care is slow in general to get a clue re individuals. Admittedly, med facilities are under financial storming as profit providers. Don't get me going...

Or do get me going, but I'm not a data person. At the same time I'm not a data person per se, I can scan, and I can see fuckcity.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@ossobuco,
All right, I'm not so clear re data when I swear.

Gather some lunch and wait 72 hours, I'll get back to you.
margo

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
US is supposed to be the greatest country in the world - well according to Americans - but your health system is absolutely ****.

How many threads have we seen about A2Kers struggling with the health system, especially the financial side.

Sheesh!
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:38 pm
@margo,
(I'ts worse than that...)

Embarrassed
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:43 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

(I'ts worse than that...)

Embarrassed

Yes.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Love it when you do the angry swearing thing, osso! Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:55 pm
@Rockhead,
It appears that people on pensions and/or without health insurance only have access to what appears to be an almost third world health system.

Why do you let your politicians get away with this crap!???
Eva

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:09 pm
@margo,
Because our country is set up to reward those who look out for themselves.

Remember, America was started by a bunch of people who didn't care for the existing systems. Most came here figuring they could do just as well (or better) for themselves without so much societal and governmental interference. So, self-reliance is a basic tenet of our society. Which is a good thing....except, of course, when one needs help.

An old joke here:
Q: What is a Democrat?
A: A wounded Republican.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:19 pm
I imagine that if I was sufficiently incapacitated, I could get transported from one place in the hospital to another. If I were sufficiently incapacitated, it would be worth the wait. Otherwise, it ain't. The friends who got me out of the hospital (from the biopsy and nonsurgery) had to go to considerable lengths to get a wheelchair. They pushed.

This is a gigantic public hospital with no money. It serves I don't know how many thousands of people, many with little or no money. As annoyed as I get at dealing with the place, the fact is that this hospital is taking mighty good care of me. It's the peripheral crap that drives me nuts, and that's what I've been complaining about.

As for my allowing politicians to get away with this? I vote. Nothing happens.

IMO, the health-care system in the US is a national disgrace. Also IMO, the US is not the greatest country in the world, on a bunch of fronts. Still, I'd rather be here than elsewhere, but I'm not one for moving.

osso, You raised a good point about my penchant for gagging. I will discuss that with the dentist when I pick up the tray. I'm a major gagger even when my larynx isn't swollen. Oy.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:23 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta is nicer than me, please stamp that on the page.
Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:42 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Roberta is nicer than me, please stamp that on the page.

Not that nice, osso. But my perspective is that of the insider/sicky. Two malignancies. One in remission. One to be treated. One other surgery.

Endless waits. Bureaucratic idiocy. Rudeness. Thoughtlessness. Idiotic trekking. Prepayments (a hostage situation, IMO). All true. But I'm alive.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:51 pm
@Roberta,
I remain enraged, deal with it, bubele.

Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:14 am
@ossobuco,
Dealing with it. And enraged too. Palenty! A lot! Tres pissed.
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:21 am
@Roberta,
Thinking of you ((Boida)) x
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 09:08 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

It's the peripheral crap that drives me nuts, and that's what I've been complaining about.

You'll find that this is the case in most, if not all, healthcare organizations today, if you're the average, middleclass, insured patient. If you're among the wealthy, the situation will be very different. Consider the excellent care and treatment of Edward Kennedy at the MGH in Boston. Did he have to run out to Cambridge Street ( Boston) to find a wheelchair? Of course not...so why should anyone else?

The average patient never sees such tenderness , as Kennedy received , in this day and age.

I realize that most healthcare employees are overworked and often underpaid, but why is the patient the recipient of this abuse?

By the way, from my experience in healthcare, the most caring and gentle hospital employees are usually those individuals with the least education and of course, the least pay.

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 03:01 pm
@Roberta,
Checking in on the Boid....

x
Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 03:29 pm
Sputt[img][/img]ering with rage.

Paid and registered in the new building. Then I was told that the test (barium swallowing) was in the old building. As promised, I pitched a hissy fit. I said I couldn't get there. I couldn't walk. I couldn't breathe.

Wanna know what I was told? "Sure you can get there. Just walk slow." Then she turned and left.

My eyes welled up with tears. Rage. Fatigue. Disgust. I walked to the old building, slowly. Had the test. Also got an appointment for swallowing therapy for next Wednesday. I was assured that the appointment and therapy would be in the new building.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

http://american.edu/ted/images3/Growling.jpg
littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 03:38 pm
@Roberta,
<muttermuttermutter>

Glad at least something got accomplished! Who told you to go ahead and walk so unsympathetically? A receptionist? A nurse?