Surgery--Again

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 01:09 pm
@Roberta,
He’s sitting on my stomach looking a bit miffed because it’s only 4.32 am and I just turned the light on and I’m reading for a bit. I had a big sleep when I got home today.

He doesn’t seem affected much by his eye loss....I think it was just a huge relief for him when he woke up and it wasn’t hurting any more and he’d been blind in it for the weeks they persisted in trying to treat him.

His new super duper food seems to have stopped his vomiting and I hope his stomach feels better too. His coat looks good.

He’s slowly growing his fur back where they shaved him. He wants walks all the time.
Roberta

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 10:29 pm
@dlowan,
I'm glad he appears to be on the mend. How is Viola doing through all this?

I saw the gastroenterologist yesterday. They were unable to check the right side of me intestines. She wants me to have another colonoscopy. Bleh and feh.

glitterbag

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 10:39 pm
@Roberta,
oh dear God, another one!!!!! Can't they do a sonogram or something else.
Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 04:45 am
@glitterbag,
Yes, they can do a kind of X-ray but I'd still have to drink the horrible liquid and run to the bathroom every ten minutes. It's an option.
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 02:44 pm
@Roberta,
I’m trying to figure why it didn’t work properly last time.

Sturgis

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 02:49 pm
@dlowan,
The not always so wondrous wonders of modern medicine and technology?

There are frighteningly high numbers for test re-dos. Various reasons.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 05:51 pm
@Roberta,
Deb: I had hernia surgery about 10 years ago. As a result (unknown until now) the right side of my intestines is much narrower than the left side. A smaller (pediatric) instrument is needed to check the right side. One wasn't available when I had the colonoscopy.

sturgis: Tell me about it. Didn't I have biopsy surgery and there was nothing to biopsy. The CT scan machine must have had the hiccups.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 08:39 pm
@Roberta,
Geez Roberta, I had a hiatal hernia repaired about 15 years ago, then had to have it redone after blowing it out during a rugged case of bronchitis. Those two surgeries combined with an old fashioned gallbladder surgery when I was 28 messed up my innards like you wouldn't believe. This past winter I was supposed to have a colonoscopy but a pretest showed another (new) hernia that allowed the colon to migrate up into my chest and press against my lungs. I was finally scheduled for surgery on 28 May and when they got in they discovered a vast array of scar tissue and some serious adhesions. My spleen had become attached to my colon and part of my stomach and when they tried to remove it from the other body parts it started to hemorrhage so they yanked it out. Oh yeah, then my left lung collapsed and they had to shove in a chest tube (good times in the OR)

I think my point is that when they monkey around in your innards, the innards take on a life of their own and occasionally rearrange themselves. I kind of expect doctors (esp surgeons) to remember this when they are treating people who have had multiple procedures of the non-cosmetic kind.

I'm sorry about the narrowed innards, I feel your frustration.
Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 09:14 pm
@glitterbag,
GB, Ouch and oy and a half. What a mess.

As far as medicine has come (hey, I'm still alive), there's still a lot that's a mystery--to doctors.

I had throat cancer and I have COPD. I had the cancer dealt with more than ten years ago. Doctors are still arguing about whether my chronic cough is a result of the throat problem or the lung problem Hey, what difference does it make. I'm still coughing. (BTW, my hernia is back.)

glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 09:25 pm
@Roberta,
My only symptom from the acid reflux was coughing. They sent me to cardiologists, pulmonary docs, a thoracic surgeon, 3 different ENT's, 4 GI's and a lot of attitude from lazy doctors.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 04:16 pm
Hey Roberta!!!!!! What's happening?? You OK?
Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 08:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Hey, gb, I'm fine. They want me to go for another CT scan just to be on the safe side.

Udderwise, I'm peachy.

How you doin' after the surgery?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 09:32 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Hey, gb, I'm fine. They want me to go for another CT scan just to be on the safe side.

Udderwise, I'm peachy.

How you doin' after the surgery?

Holy ******* ****....I am shocked and thrilled that you are still alive!

I hope that you agree.
Roberta

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 03:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, You, me, and some of my doctors. Well, the docs may be shocked, but I don't know how thrilled they are.

In some ways, I'm a medical anomaly. A friend of mine thinks I have an iron constitution. Whatever. Here I am, kvetching and schlepping my way through life.
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 08:06 am
@Roberta,
Thank goodness
Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2019 06:04 pm
@dlowan,
How's by you, bunny? How are the woollies?
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 02:02 am
@Roberta,
Well, I’m unexpectedly and grumpily retired.

House tried to burn itself down on Friday so woollies are boarding as the house is not liveable. No word as to when insurers will be fixing it as presently they are more concerned about what caused it in the first place....it was in the fuse box and extended up through the wiring as the wiring insulation burned its way up toward the ceiling behind the wall.

Curtains on fire as well, but I put them out, smothered the electrical fire with a towel, and thought I’d put it out. It reignited a few minutes later as I was waiting for the fire brigade and I was able to persuade a police officer who got there first to put it out with the universal extinguisher in the police car.

Much better outcome than you’d expect, really.

I’m with neighbour for now, waiting to see how long I am going to have to stay out of home.

Also it’s my birthday!
Lash

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 03:11 am
@dlowan,
I can’t imagine how you must feel in the aftermath of that experience. I’m sorry this happened. The act of fighting a house fire alone must have upset your psyche, but if I remember your professional background correctly, I’m sure you’re on the lookout for PTSD symptoms.

Thankful that you have a good neighbor. Finger-crossing for that situation and a quick fix for home.

So thankful you were awake when it happened.🌹

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 07:38 am
@Lash,
I’m pretty ok actually, thank you.

Probably because I was able to channel all the adrenaline into useful action and save the house.

I’m very suspicious of fuse boxes though!

Forensic insurance guy is too. Since there are ten other houses built at the same time using same electrical company, this may be a lucky warning for everyone.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 02:38 pm
@dlowan,
Yikes!

Oh, and Happy birthday!
0 Replies