Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:58 am
Rescheduled the appointment. You coulda knocked me over with a feather. The appointment is for next week.

Iz, The ginger ale will have to wait until I feel up to getting dressed and hauling myself to the supermarket.

The company in India says that it's expediting my payment. I should have the check next week. It's not here yet, but that's thudworthy on general principle.

No fever last night. Good. From the wretched retching my entire diaphragm is sore. It hurts when I cough or take a deep breath. Not good. This too shall pass.

Gonna try to get back to sleep.

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:59 am
@Roberta,
Hey, two pieces of good news there!!

Hope that check comes through as speedily as promised.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 07:02 am
@Roberta,
Oh crap, Roberta!
This sounds awful, you poor thing!
I hope you're feeling a lot better ... & soon!
I wish you didn't have to keep working while you're feeling so unwell ....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:52 pm
Temperature below 100, which I consider normalish.

Feeling a bit better.

Got a few hours of sleep.

Behind on work. Here I go.
Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:59 am
@Roberta,
I think I figured out why I've been having so much trouble falling asleep.

Restless leg syndrome. I'm lying there, drifting off, and then whammo, one of my legs tenses up and has a mini spasm. I'll add it my list of things to discuss with the internist.

I read up about it on google. Didn't find anything especially helpful that I would do without first having a legitimate diagnosis.

How do I come up with this stuff. I'm kinda impressed.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:52 am
@Roberta,
I don't know about restless leg syndrome, so no guesses on whether you have it.
I do know a smidge about leg or foot cramps, and we've had threads on that. My cureall is to drink some of one the mineral waters (gerolsteiner or apollonaris) that have potassium and manganese in them, but it can get expensive keeping some in the house. Or eat a banana. Or take my vitamins. Others say quinine water helps. Anyway, that's another thing to look up and see if it fits.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 11:17 am
@ossobuco,
Like osso suggested. Bananas are cheap and even if the problem isn't restless leg syndrome, bananas are good for ones soul even if one doesn't need the extra shot of potassium.

That's something to contemplate on:
http://www.gonomad.com/features/0510/images/congo-banana.jpg
Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 03:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
I just finished the last of a bunch of eight bananas.

According to what I read, restless leg syndrome is not cramps. And the symptoms can vary.

Thanks, you guys.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 03:18 pm
@Roberta,
Restless leg runs in my family. For us there is a sudden, creeping sensation and an uncontrollable urge to kick (or at least jerk) our legs. My mother takes gabapentin for her restless leg (and my dad takes it for his nerves). Gabapentin is a drug used to treat epileptic seizures, but it turns out to be quite a nerve tonic! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000940/
Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 03:23 pm
@littlek,
Thanks, k. Don't know for sure that I have restless leg syndrome. Appreciate the info.
littlek

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 01:59 pm
@Roberta,
So.... is it more like cramps?
Roberta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 06:36 pm
@littlek,
No, not like cramps.

My leg jumps.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 07:23 pm
Just checking in with you, Roberta. Are you well-stocked with food, medicines and whatever else you need to get you through the next several days of storms and the aftermath?

Got candles or fresh batteries and flashlights for if the power goes out so you'll be able to find your way around in your night owl hours?
Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hiya Butrflynet, I don't have much food. The lights don't go out here because of bad weather. Never have.

The forecast is for one day of bad weather on Sunday. I'm sure I'll manage if I get in a supply of food before then.

Thanks for asking.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:39 pm
Back from Bellevue. Had my last session with my therapist today. I'll miss her. A truly wonderful woman, and a very fine therapist. And she's available if things take a turn for the worse.

Also back from Staples (needed printer ink) and the supermarket. What a madhouse! At 3 p.m. on a Friday afternoon. Do people think they're gonna be stranded? In NYC?

Going out to dinner later with a very nice a2ker (first initial S). We're going to a kosher deli that recently opened a branch in my neighborhood. Great corned beef. Slurp. I'll have a pototo knish with that. Big decision. Do I want the corned beef on a roll or on rye? I got time to decide.

Watch out for Hurricane Irene. My middle name is Irene.

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:43 pm
@Roberta,
I'm glad you got your errands run and you have a nice engagement planned for tonight.

I was just reading about a mandatory evac of low-lying areas of NYC. It's sounds like they're preparing for the worst.

Quote:
New York City
Bloomberg ordered an evacuation by 5 p.m. Saturday for low-lying areas that include the Battery Park City complex on the southern end of Manhattan; Coney Island, famed for its boardwalk and amusement park; the beachfront community of the Rockaways; and other neighborhoods around the city.

Meanwhile, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said subways, buses and commuter trains in the city, on Long Island and in the northern suburbs will be suspended starting around noon Saturday.

Cuomo added that 1,000 National Guard soldiers and airmen would help over the weekend

The George Washington and Tappan Zee bridges, among others, were ordered shut if winds top 60 mph, as was the New York State Thruway.

Stay safe!
Roberta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 01:52 pm
@JPB,
Thanks for the info, JPB. Sounds kinda extreme. Not for the areas near the ocean. I tend to not get worked up over weather, but I'll be indoors, probably working when it hits.
Izzie

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 03:46 pm
@Roberta,
Charlie and I were talking about your earlier Boida... fretting a tad about the news of the weather warnings heading up the East coast, hoping all will be OK.

I'm sorry too that you had your last session with your lady but I'm glad to know that she will still be there if needs be.

hmmmmmmm... just wanting to send you hugs and love

((((((((((Boida)))))))))) love...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:33 pm
@Roberta,
Awwww.....sorry to hear re therapist.

Irene....watch out for Boida.
Roberta

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:39 pm
@dlowan,
Hey gang, I'm Roberta Irene. That storm better not piss me off.

I got my first name from my father's father (in English and Yiddish). I got my middle name from my mother's aunt. It's against some kinda rule to name somebody after a man and a woman. Therefore, my middle name is only in English and doesn't appear in my Jewish name. Uh, oh. Not going there. The name business can drive a sane person nuts. And I'm now officially and certifiably sane.
0 Replies