Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 11:55 pm
So about an hour after I got home, I didn't feel right. Started to feel nauseous. Then stomach pains. Then sweating and drooling. Then vomiting and the runs.

I slept for a while. Had some ginger ale. Seem ok now.

Can't imagine what I ate that would cause such a reaction. Is it the steroids? I've taken them before. Nothing like this.

Maybe healthy organic food doesn't agree with me.

Blech!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:02 am
@Roberta,
Oh Roberta! Sad Let me at that organic food and I'll beat it up for ya!

Ginger ale is indeed a food of the gods!
Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:11 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsar, you're my hero.

Just checked. I have a bit of a fever (100.5). This seems like some kinda allergic reaction. Can't figure out to what.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:13 am
@Roberta,
Maybe you had a bug?
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:16 am
@tsarstepan,
Those bastards, they killed Tsar's memories!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:22 am
@dlowan,
A bug is possible, but the timing is suspicious.
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:25 am
@Roberta,
You're born suspicious.

I hope it ain't the food.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:31 am
@Roberta,
Well damn.
Sorry to hear of your bug, or whatever it is, Roberta.
Hope you're feeling much better, soon.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 02:11 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
So about an hour after I got home, I didn't feel right. Started to feel nauseous. Then stomach pains. Then sweating and drooling. Then vomiting and the runs.

I slept for a while. Had some ginger ale. Seem ok now.

YIKES! It sure sounds like whatever it was that got in there wanted O-U-T!

Quote:
I had a tartine of smoked salmon with cut leeks, sliced avocado and a small salad of meslan leaves, radishes tomato, and cucumber. For dessert I had a pistachio tart.

Are you still ok or did the sickness return? Have you eaten anything since last night? Man, that sounds rough. I'm sorry you went through all that.

Anything is possible, but I think you should call the restaurant to report it. You can call directly to the health dept if you think it's related to food quality, but the restaurant should be somehow notified that you became seriously ill after eating their food. Maybe it was an individual reaction and not at all related to food quality but you could be one of dozens of people who got sick and they may be able to connect it back to a single food item - and STOP serving it!!!.

Assuming it wasn't some kind of food poisoning, if I had to guess at an item that might bring on that kind of reaction not related to food quality it would be the tart. How often do you eat nuts?

Sheesh -- I can't believe you had such a hard attack after such a good meal. I hope you're still feeling ok.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 02:57 pm
@JPB,
Agreeing with JPB, definitely report it to the restaurant, possibly by an email so there's a record.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 03:12 pm
Maybe there's a connection between organic and bug, but at least it sounds healthy.
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 03:47 pm
@roger,
How is Boida?

I do hope feeling at least somewhat better?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 03:58 pm
On food poisoning, my memory is that 'bugs' like salmonella take longer to show up before the powie-zowie episode. I don't know nuttin' about the fancy new e. coli critters., and less than nothing about food allergy that might cause that kind of reaction as a sort of one time thing. (just looked it up, salmonella takes from 12 - 72 hours to get going)

Back in the seventies, there was a deli in the village that had some negatives known about it. My boss and one of the techs got different sandwiches to go for lunch one day. They both woke up in the middle of the night with extreme food poisoning, later determined to be from the mayo, if I remember. So, that was something like fifteen hours.

Oh, and I so hope this has passed by, Roberta!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:01 pm
Feeling better. Temperature is under 100--I don't count that as a fever.

I had 5 Ritz crackers and some water last night. Not sick.

Still have a bit of the runs.

I believe it was an allergic reaction. I just don't know to what.

Thanks, all, for you caring. It means a lot.

Gonna have breakfast and see what happens.
sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:35 pm
@Roberta,
Yikes, just catching up, looks like the news is better. Good luck with breakfast.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:49 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Gonna have breakfast and see what happens.

You go girl! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:13 pm
Um. I wouldn't get all wonkers about being you, Roberta, suddenly being allergic to something.

Allergy doesn't work that way.
msolga

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:24 pm
@Roberta,
Very glad & relieved you're feeling better, Roberta.
I hope you're feeling 100% recovered before much longer.
I hope your breakfast agrees with you!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:18 am
@ossobuco,
osso, Not suggesting I'm all of a sudden allergic to something. I'm suggesting that there was something in the food that I'm allergic to. They didn't list every ingredient.

There's stuff in Indian and Mexican food I'm allergic to. Don't know what it is, but it makes me sick. I'm deathly allergic to duck and goose.

It's also possible that there's a stomach problem. I'll get it checked out.

I'm definitely feeling better. I ate (blandly) yesterday.

Gotta agree with tsar. That ginger ale is the nectar of the gods when you're stomach is ailing.

Edit: PS, I'm now up to page 802 in that thousand page book I'm editing. Is the end in sight?
Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:35 am
@Roberta,
Some steroids mess with your immune system. Public places like restaurants are hubs for people, and hence for infections. I would guess it's the combination of the two that got you. Perhaps you want to ask your doctors about your steroids.