Surgery--Again

Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:29 pm
Picked up from a med site.

What side effects can this medication cause?Prednisone may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
•headache

•dizziness

•difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep

•inappropriate happiness

•extreme changes in mood

•changes in personality

•bulging eyes

•acne

•thin, fragile skin

•red or purple blotches or lines under the skin

•slowed healing of cuts and bruises

•increased hair growth

•changes in the way fat is spread around the body

•extreme tiredness

•weak muscles

•irregular or absent menstrual periods

•decreased sexual desire

•heartburn

•increased sweating

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
•vision problems

•eye pain, redness, or tearing

•sore throat, fever, chills, cough, or other signs of infection

•seizures

•depression

•loss of contact with realityThis happened to me after I was given prednisone intravenously for more than a week when I was in the hospital.•confusion

•muscle twitching or tightening

•shaking of the hands that you cannot control

•numbness, burning, or tingling in the face, arms, legs, feet, or hands

•upset stomach

•vomiting

•lightheadedness

•irregular heartbeat

•sudden weight gain

•shortness of breath, especially during the night

•dry, hacking cough

•swelling or pain in the stomach

•swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, throat, arms, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs

•difficulty breathing or swallowing

•rash

•hives

•itching

Izzie

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:30 pm
@Roberta,
ha - I have tootache - bottom left at bottom front... nasty achy rubbish - be gone by morning I hope

<sheeeeit, out of it, mustn't post again, too knackered) love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:35 pm
@Izzie,
Eek, if steroids will decrease quantity of life that's a pretty bad side effect!

I'm sure there are lots of different specific medications and dosages under the "steroid" umbrella, too, so I'm definitely not saying that the fact that my husband took them for a long time and was fine means that you will be fine if you take them for a long time -- I'm not sure enough of what "them" means, for starters. I assumed it was probably similar since it was asthma-related though.
sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:37 pm
@Roberta,
Ah just saw this, Prednisone, OK. *I* was actually on that for a while when they were throwing various things at my hearing loss and seeing if anything would stick.

Every medication known to humankind has a long list of side effects, seems like -- what I'm sure of is that I regularly freak myself out and then have to talk myself down when I read the side effect insert for any new medication for myself or sozlet.

Talk to a doc about cost/ benefit, see what the doc has to say.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:39 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

Steroids will give you energy, your nails will grow longer and stronger...

Oy gevalt. This is a quote from me from my Kvetch thread:

My nails grow like weeds and are as hard as rocks. I'm sick and tired of clipping and filing, filing and clipping. Can't somebody come up with some kinda nail not grow thing--like a weed killer? Is there much call for this?

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 04:03 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Eek, if steroids will decrease quantity of life that's a pretty bad side effect!

oh no no Soz, sorry, that's not what I was trying to imply at all

many folk are very resistant to taking high dose steroids (me for one after many years on them but due to the side effects I experienced and my age at the time in my 20's) - I was trying to get across (albeit not clearly), like any medication, there are side effects to every med; if steroids work for a person and their quality of like is improved - the balance needs to be between taking these "heavy" drugs as opposed to not wanting to take them because of ALL the side effects - of which it's unlikely for one to get ALL side effects. Steroid have there place and and if they improve your quality of like - do fer sure take them...

Steroids are heavily monitored too - usually monthly/bi monthly if on a high dose (30mg is considered high) with blood and urine tests (specifically for kidney ailments for the latter)

I am an avid believer that quality of life is always better than quantity of life and personally take meds for that reason despite the possible side effects - but was not meaning to throw in any suggestion at all that prednisolone will reduce quantity of life. To my knowledge, that would be a false statement. I am also not medical so...

Hope this clarifies. Didn't mean to cause any concern whatsoever.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 04:42 pm
@Roberta,
Permanent loss of what?
Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:20 pm
@dlowan,
Breathing ability. The doc mentioned oxygen.

Each time I've been intubated (sp?) for surgery, I lost some breathing ability. I haven't lost anything whenever I've had an attack. It usually all comes back. This time, I'm not seeing it--yet.

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:25 pm
@Roberta,
Damn. Hope the beastly steroids do some good.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:27 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
•inappropriate happiness

greatest side effect ever

sorry i can't come to the funeral, i might burst out laughing

Razz
Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 05:36 pm
@djjd62,
Funeral? What funeral? I ain't dead yet, kid.

Deb, The steroids always do some good. And some bad. No sleep. Nonstop eating. An unreal and unrealistic sense of well-being. And I can breathe! Who thinks about breathing unless you can't. But I've grown rather fond of it.

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 06:17 pm
@Roberta,
Well, if I dare mention a bright side, one of my friends becomes instantly and profoundly depressed on prednisone. It's like she changes into a different person overnight. And she has terrible asthma.

Sigh.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 07:12 pm
@Roberta,
i'm glad you're alive and kicking (kvetching)

i was just thinking anyone taking the medication might have to avoid funerals
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:22 pm
All meds have side effects.

Most people may experience some, often minor, especially on starting. They're dose related usually, so the lower the dose the fewer the problems. And the problems may not persist, once your body adjusts. (spoken with my medinfo hat on!)

Breathing is a good thing - better than the alternative.

Perhaps I need some steroids - I have crap nails!

About of 2% of people over all
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:05 pm
Back from Bellevue. Saw both therapists.

I just checked my calendar for next week. For the first time in 2011, I don't have an appointment at the hospital. Thud.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:08 pm
@Roberta,
Good work, there.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:54 pm
@Roberta,
Now that you're back on the steroids, did you walk both ways, uphill, in a heatwave, while whistling and wearing your fancy skirt and blouse?

Enjoy the week off from medical appointments. Pencil in an appointment with yourself next week for something fun.
Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
Exhibiting some unfortunate side effects of the steroids. Maybe a vision problem. Maybe a slightly elevated temp.

Did some walking but not to and from the hospital. It's good to walk and breathe simultaneously. Who knew?

Don't know if I'll be able to find the time for a major fun event. Too much work. But I'm having linner (late lunch/early dinner) with Thomas manana. We're trying a new place. Sounds like fun to me.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 06:08 pm
@Roberta,
Walking good.......possible steroid related problems not so good.

Can we have photos of fun meal out?

Fine if we can't.

Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 10:37 pm
@dlowan,
I'm camera shy. Had dinner with Stephen and Penny last week. No pics. I'm a pain in the ass.