Surgery--Again

Izzie

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 04:25 pm
@dyslexia,
Roberta wrote:

Went to the hospital today for a checkup. Cholesterol--under control. BP--fantastic (without medication). Heart--OK. Legs--still not operational. I told the doctor that I had an appointment for physical therapy in September. He was stunned that I got one so fast.

Thursday, I'll be back at the hospital to have my thyroid checked. Also to get the results of my bone density test and my chest X-ray.

good on the check, let us know how the thyroid goes... crahp on the legs tho...

dyslexia wrote:

Roberta wrote:

deb, My legs feel heavy and don't move well. Walking is a major chore. For example, when I wake up from sleeping, I can stand up ok, but to get moving, I have to hold on and take it very slow. In fact, I have to take everything very slow.

Pfffffft.
I hear that loud and clear.

ditto what him 'n her up above said... pfffffffffffft on the legs - my knees are pathetic - collapsing - ack.

The indignity of it all a? Rolling Eyes

thinking of you Boida, sending you love, hugs and hoping something will lift you to help you walk better. xxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 05:17 pm
@Roberta,
Have they checked the lymph flow from your legs?

(Like they won't have...your EVERYTHING must have been checked.)

You must have a lot of muscle wastage. I do hope the physio works.

Roberta

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 05:33 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Have they checked the lymph flow from your legs?

I don't know about this. They checked flow in my legs. Don't know whether it was lymph or not.

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 08:25 pm
@Roberta,
From memory it was blood.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 09:02 pm
@Roberta,
in the hosp they kept checking my left leg (3-4 x daily) finally someone told me they were looking for bone fragments because they could find all of the hip when they did the surgery and I had various pains in different parts from my hip down to my toes, finally they started the whole procedure with my abdomen still looking for fragments. some nights I was down in what they called nuclear medicine til after midnight then back to my room for 2 a.m. meds. I was very tired after 10 days of that and very glad to go home.
Roberta

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 11:15 pm
@dyslexia,
dys, I don't think there's anything floating around. This is both legs. It's possible that it's related to the brain gamma thing I had done--along with some other effects I intend to ask about.

BTW, when the doctor was examining me, he poked me in several places in the abdomen. I said ouch. He asked me how long that had been bothering me. I said, "Since you poked it."
dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 12:50 am
@Roberta,
Smartarse!

I thought the legs had been a problem for ages?
Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 04:14 am
@dlowan,
Not really. I've had trouble getting around in the past because I can't breathe. But my legs started to bother me only fairly recently. E.g., a while back I met Thomas for dinner at a restaurant eleven blocks away. I walked. It took me a while, and I was huffing and puffing when I got there. But I did it. More recently, he and I were going to walk two blocks. I couldn't do it.
dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 04:44 pm
@Roberta,
Well, damn.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 05:02 pm
@Roberta,
I'd squawk about that - you're a good squawker..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:33 pm
Saw the endocrinologist yesterday. My thyroid levels are still too low. My Vitamin D levels are still too low. I have a stronger scrip for the thyroid, and I gotta take three times as much Vitamin D as I'm currently taking.

I asked about lymph nodes and my legs. She said that a lymph node problem would affect one leg, not both. She suggested it might be a side effect of the gamma knife. The third doctor to suggest this. I'll find out Tuesday.

I was back at Bellevue today. Saw my therapist. Didn't stay to see the art therapist. I was too hysterical. Got a scary letter from the IRS. It's been resolved. Sigh.
Izzie

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:49 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I was back at Bellevue today. Saw my therapist. Didn't stay to see the art therapist.

Can you draw/paint at home Boida... or is it one of those things that you focus on more when you're with the art therapist?

Glad the IRS thing was sorted. Ugh tho!

hmmmmm... re the legs... have any of the doctors suggested this can be fixed? Is it all the time now? Hoping that on Tuesday someone will be able to give you more information on this.

((((Boida)))) - sending you hugs xxxx

edit:
Vitamin D

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/vitaminsandminerals/vitamind/

fish steak Vitamin D is found in a small number of foods. Good food sources are oily fish and eggs. Other food sources include fortified foods such as margarine, breakfast cereals and powdered milk.

But we get most of our vitamin D from sunlight on our skin. This is because the vitamin forms under the skin in reaction to sunlight. The best source is summer sunlight but remember, if you're out in the sun, take care not to burn.

Liver and liver products are also good sources of vitamin D, but they are also a rich source of vitamin A. So if you already eat them every week, you might want to choose not to have them more often.

<I ate Salmon for dinner Shocked>
<actually, kinda live on fish>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:05 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Saw the endocrinologist yesterday. My thyroid levels are still too low. My Vitamin D levels are still too low. I have a stronger scrip for the thyroid, and I gotta take three times as much Vitamin D as I'm currently taking.

I asked about lymph nodes and my legs. She said that a lymph node problem would affect one leg, not both. She suggested it might be a side effect of the gamma knife. The third doctor to suggest this. I'll find out Tuesday.

I was back at Bellevue today. Saw my therapist. Didn't stay to see the art therapist. I was too hysterical. Got a scary letter from the IRS. It's been resolved. Sigh.

So sorry you missed your art therapy, and had a panic, but glad the IRS thing is resolved.

On Tuesday you find out if the legs thing is a result of the gamma knife???

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:26 pm
@Roberta,
thought I'd get a little jig going over here from LettyBettyLetty's thread

crank up the volume....

Hooked On Classics

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Jobs_and_People/Musicians_and_Singers/Conductor.gif

ddadadadaddadadaddudmdddaadaadadallllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllaaaaaaaaaaallllllaaaaaaaal

[/quote]

makes me feel like I wanna be cantering along the beach like this..

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Animals/Horses/Jockey_4.gif

edit: uh oh Osso - k, will take it off in case it freaks Boida too Very Happy 'tis over on Letty's thread so will leave the animals dancing over there, tho I'll keep the conductor conducting Razz
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:31 pm
@Izzie,
That freaks me, girl, in a negative way. obviously my problem.
Izzie

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
sorted girl... no worries Very Happy
Eva

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:57 pm
@Roberta,
You are going to feel SO much better when you get your thyroid level back up to normal!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 11:12 pm
I probably have the vitamin D problem, because I'm so rarely up and out in daylight. I rarely eat fish. And as much as I like liver, it's not in my supermarket. Hence, 3 pills a day.

Yes, I'm hoping to feel better when the thyroid is adjusted. The doctor told me that it will also help me to lose weight, which I've been trying to do since the manic state. Despite cutting back on everything, I haven't lost an ounce. Haven't eaten an Oreo in over a month.

Sure I draw at home Izzie, if the mood strikes me. It was at home that I drew the goofy stove.

Didn't feel like drawing today. The stress of the IRS letter left me exhausted.

Being a grown up can be a gigantic pain in the patoot.

Izzie and osso, Don't know what you guys are talking about. I gotta go hunting on another thread to find out. No rest for the weary.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 11:18 pm
@Izzie,
I think that was just my thing, Iz... sorry! Something about that bothered me and I just said so. I should have, of course, just not looked. That was yesterday.

Not a good evening here with the psychodramatist.
Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 11:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Found it. Liked the hippo on keyboards.
0 Replies