joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:42 am
ehBeth wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Depends on how you define "deaths due to overuse of marijuana."

well, let's take a look at a reasonably recent government study

SAMSHA study - p.31

marijuana only - deaths - total - 0

As I pointed out to Cyloptichorn above, if harm to the users was the only harm that we were concerned with, then I'd be impressed with such statistics.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:08 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Data which showed direct and material harm to users. Data which showed direct and material harm to those who are around the users. I have been unable to locate said data.

Well, maybe it's because you haven't been looking hard enough.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Latin Americans, as in 'citizens of the US who come from Latin descent. Latin Americans make up a hefty percentage of the American population. They brought their culture with them. It is now a part of our culture. And their traditions deserved to be treated with the same amount of cultural respect as anglo-saxon ones.

If you believe that everyone who comes to the United States automatically qualifies his or her own cultural background as "American culture" due to some sort of "melting pot exception," then you're right: Latin American culture is now part of our culture. Of course, the Egyptian immigrant whose cultural heritage includes female genital mutilation would also be following "American culture" when he mutilated his daughter, just as the Pakistani immigrant whose cultural heritage includes honor killings would also be following "American culture" when he killed his daughter. For my part, I don't agree with that definition of "culture," and I'm certainly glad that I don't have to try to defend it with a straight face.

You are Appealing to Extremes, which is bad form. The 'honor killings' and genital mutilation that you describe have a tangible and real effect upon people other then the individual. This correlates to marijuana in no way, shape or fashion whatsoever. My ingestion of a substance, which hasn't been shown to have any great short-term or long-term harm upon me and which hasn't been shown to have any great short- or long-term effect upon those around me, isn't in the same category whatsoever.

In what way can it be shown that marijuana increases the risk of harming others than the user? I have seen no data - and please don't trot out the 'maybe it's because you haven't been looking hard enough' line. I've been studying this issue for years, and have found nothing of the sort. You seem to propose that there is in fact a potential harm to others, but you have neither pointed out what that harm would be, nor provided any sort of data which leads you to believe that there would in fact be harm.

Not exactly a strong nor persuasive argument.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:15 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
As I pointed out to Cyloptichorn above, if harm to the users was the only harm that we were concerned with, then I'd be impressed with such statistics.

What other harm have you identified?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You are Appealing to Extremes, which is bad form.

And you're confusing two entirely different arguments, which is bad logic.

You said that the culture of Latin American immigrants to the US constitutes American culture. That is, of course, wrong, and no appeal to the differences in the harmfulness of various cultural practices can save that argument. Now, if you want to argue that smoking marijuana is less harmful than female genital mutilation or honor killings, I suppose you might be right, but that's not an argument in which I am particularly interested, nor is it in any way analogous to the argument that I actually made.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
In what way can it be shown that marijuana increases the risk of harming others than the user? I have seen no data - and please don't trot out the 'maybe it's because you haven't been looking hard enough' line. I've been studying this issue for years, and have found nothing of the sort. You seem to propose that there is in fact a potential harm to others, but you have neither pointed out what that harm would be, nor provided any sort of data which leads you to believe that there would in fact be harm.

As I said, I have no interest in doing any in-depth research on this topic. For every study sponsored by anti-marijuana advocates that pro-marijuana advocates reject, there's a study sponsored by pro-marijuana advocates that anti-marijuana advocates reject. It seems to me, in my limited research, that the results of the competing (and incompatible) studies just about even out, which leaves us no smarter than we were before.

Rather than engage in a battle of scientific studies, which I am neither qualified nor inclined to do, I will just accept the word of those marijuana advocates who claim that marijuana usage is as harmful, but no more harmful, as alcohol usage. On that basis, I think I can reasonably conclude that marijuana is also as harmful to others, but no more harmful, as alcohol usage.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:22 pm
ehBeth wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Harm to others.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:34 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
I think I can reasonably conclude that marijuana is also as harmful to others, but no more harmful, as alcohol usage.

So you're assuming something because you want to.

<shrug>

Certainly your right.

~~~
~~~

Given your conclusion/assumption - if it's as harmful, but no more harmful, than alcohol - why the different legal status?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:55 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
woiyo wrote:
I would agree with you if there was consistant policies in this regard. Govt "regulates" private behavior in some cases by taxing the product (Booze and tabacco). Some products are illegal (pot, heroin etc...).

While some drugs, both legal and illegal, alter behavior (anti-depressents/pain killers for example), who and how does one MEASURE the potential for harm to the general public?

The same way that we, in a democratic society, measure the potential for harm of any substance or activity: through the process of passing legislation. Granted, that may be an imperfect way of evaluating risk, but it's the way that we've settled upon, for better or worse.

woiyo wrote:
So my question you you is HOW do your measure the potential and WHO should be making that decision?

The potential for harm is measured in the course of the legislative process. The persons making that decision are the elected representatives.

That is a cop-out answer relative to this discussion. Pot was not made illegal, at least initially, due to it being a "drug". The legilsation that initially made pot illegal was to protect commerce relative to making things like ROPE and fabric. So no one has actually measured the so called "HARM" in quite sometime, especially those legislatures you speak of (many of whom are DRUNK anyway).

Can you describe what harm pot does to OTHERS which would support your position that it should stay illegal to grow, sell or use.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:09 pm
Sounds to me that so far the only good case that has been made is for the banning of alcohol.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:27 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Harm to others.

You 100% have not identified any potential or possible harm to others. I am actually surprised you would claim such a thing. When asked, you profess to not wish to actually do any research, yet you pretend to speak from authority on this issue?

C'mon, man...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:45 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Given your conclusion/assumption - if it's as harmful, but no more harmful, than alcohol - why the different legal status?

Joe has stated earlier in this thread that alcohol is more deeply rooted in American culture as marijuana is, and that this should make a legal difference. Why cultural roots should make a legal difference I don't understand. After all, if a drug is bad, passing it down the generations doesn't make it any better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:46 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Sounds to me that so far the only good case that has been made is for the banning of alcohol.

Weird, eh. That's how it reads to me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:57 pm
Also,

Quote:

And you're confusing two entirely different arguments, which is bad logic.

You said that the culture of Latin American immigrants to the US constitutes American culture. That is, of course, wrong, and no appeal to the differences in the harmfulness of various cultural practices can save that argument. Now, if you want to argue that smoking marijuana is less harmful than female genital mutilation or honor killings, I suppose you might be right, but that's not an argument in which I am particularly interested, nor is it in any way analogous to the argument that I actually made.

I most certainly did not confuse two different arguments. You appealed to extremes when you said,

Quote:
Latin American culture is now part of our culture. Of course, the Egyptian immigrant whose cultural heritage includes female genital mutilation would also be following "American culture" when he mutilated his daughter, just as the Pakistani immigrant whose cultural heritage includes honor killings would also be following "American culture" when he killed his daughter. For my part, I don't agree with that definition of "culture," and I'm certainly glad that I don't have to try to defend it with a straight face.

I 'might be right' that female genital mutilation and honor killings have a pernicious and easily identifiable negative effect upon others, whereas marijuana does not? Of course I'm right. Appealing to Extremes on your part, to say that if we accept the fact that other cultures who came to America smoke marijuana, we should accept acts which are harmful to others.

Also, I didn't say anything about 'immigrants' at all. The Latin American culture is a part of the US culture, because many generations of people of Latin descent were born here in America, and have helped to shape that culture. You may want to actually do a little research into the history of marijuana use in America before you make claims like this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:08 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
2. If you are satisfied with the legality of alchohol, and if pot and alchohol are equally dangerous, then you would be satisfied with making alchohol illegal and pot legal, n'est pas?

Only if marijuana held the same place in society and culture as alcohol does. But it doesn't.

An appeal to tradition doesn't hold any water with me.

If you're interested in actually discussing the issue, then give us some real evidence of the harms of marijuana. Otherwise, one might say you're just blowing smoke.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:14 pm
ehBeth wrote:
So you're assuming something because you want to.

No, I'm assuming that because the advocates of marijuana assume that.

ehBeth wrote:
<shrug>

<yawn>
<scratch>
<burp>

ehBeth wrote:
Certainly your right.

Thanks. I think I'm right too.

ehBeth wrote:

Because alcohol usage can no longer be eradicated. It is too strongly ingrained in our culture. At most, it can be controlled through legislation. Marijuana usage, in contrast, is not so thoroughly ingrained in our culture that it cannot be eradicated, or at least kept at minimal levels through a general prohibition.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:16 pm
Drug War Facts

Quote:
The Netherlands and the United States: A Comparison

The Netherlands follows a policy of separating the market for illicit drugs. Cannabis is primarily purchased through coffee shops. Coffee shops offer no or few possibilities for purchasing illicit drugs other than cannabis. Thus The Netherlands achieve a separation of the soft drug market from the hard drugs market - and separation of the 'acceptable risk' drug user from the 'unacceptable risk' drug user.

Source: Abraham, Manja D., University of Amsterdam, Centre for Drug Research, Places of Drug Purchase in The Netherlands (Amsterdam: University of Amsterdam, September 1999), pp. 1-5.

Comparing Important Drug and Violence Indicators
Social Indicator Comparison Year USA Netherlands
Lifetime prevalence of marijuana use (ages 12+) 2001 36.9% 1 17.0% 2
Past month prevalence of marijuana use (ages 12+) 2001 5.4% 1 3.0% 2
Lifetime prevalence of heroin use (ages 12+) 2001 1.4% 1 0.4% 2
Incarceration Rate per 100,000 population 2002 701 3 100 4
Per capita spending on criminal justice system (in Euros) 1998 €379 5 €223 5
Homicide rate per 100,000 population Average 1999-2001 5.56 6 1.51 6

Source 1: US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Volume I. Summary of National Findings (Washington, DC: HHS, August 2002), p. 109, Table H.1.

Source 2: Trimbos Institute, "Report to the EMCDDA by the Reitox National Focal Point, The Netherlands Drug Situation 2002" (Lisboa, Portugal: European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, Nov. 2002), p. 28, Table 2.1.

Source 3: Walmsley, Roy, "World Prison Population List (fifth edition) (London, England: Research, Development and Statistics Directorate of the Home Office), Dec. 2003, p. 3, Table 2.

Source 4: Walmsley, Roy, "World Prison Population List (fifth edition) (London, England: Research, Development and Statistics Directorate of the Home Office), Dec. 2003, p. 5, Table 4.

Source 5: van Dijk, Frans & Jaap de Waard, "Legal infrastructure of the Netherlands in international perspective: Crime control" (Netherlands: Ministry of Justice, June 2000), p. 9, Table S.13.

Source 6: Barclay, Gordon, Cynthia Tavares, Sally Kenny, Arsalaan Siddique & Emma Wilby, "International comparisons of criminal justice statistics 2001," Issue 12/03 (London, England: Home Office Research, Development & Statistics Directorate, October 2003), p. 10, Table 1.1.

"There were 2.4 drug-related deaths per million inhabitants in the Netherlands in 1995. In France this figure was 9.5, in Germany 20, in Sweden 23.5 and in Spain 27.1. According to the 1995 report of the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction in Lisbon, the Dutch figures are the lowest in Europe. The Dutch AIDS prevention programme was equally successful. Europe-wide, an average of 39.2% of AIDS victims are intravenous drug-users. In the Netherlands, this percentage is as low as 10.5%."

Source: Netherlands Ministry of Justice, Fact Sheet: Dutch Drugs Policy, (Utrecht: Trimbos Institute, Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, 1999), from the Netherlands Justice Ministry website at http://www.minjust.nl:8080/a_beleid/fact/cfact7.htm.

"The number of problem opiate/crack users seems to have remained relatively stable in the past ten years (3.1 per 1000 people aged 15-64 years). In the past decade, local field studies among traditional groups of problem opiate users have shown a strong in-crease in the co-use of crack cocaine, a reduction in injecting drug use, and an increase in psychiatric and somatic comorbidity."

Source: Trimbos Institute, "Drug Situation 2006 The Netherlands by the Reitox National Focal Point: Report to the EMCDDA" (Utrecht, Netherlands: Trimbos-Instuut, 2007), p. 9.

"Cannabis use among young people has also increased in most Western European countries and in the US. The rate of (cannabis) use among young people in the US is much higher than in the Netherlands, and Great Britain and Ireland also have relatively larger numbers of school students who use cannabis."

Source: Netherlands Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, Drug Policy in the Netherlands: Progress Report September 1997-September 1999, (The Hague: Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, November 1999), p. 7.

"The figures for cannabis use among the general population reveal the same pictures. The Netherlands does not differ greatly from other European countries. In contrast, a comparison with the US shows a striking difference in this area: 32.9% of Americans aged 12 and above have experience with cannabis and 5.1% have used in the past month. These figures are twice as high as those in the Netherlands."

Source: Netherlands Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, Drug Policy in the Netherlands: Progress Report September 1997-September 1999, (The Hague: Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, November 1999), pp. 7-8.

"The prevalence figures for cocaine use in the Netherlands do not differ greatly from those for other European countries. However, the discrepancy with the United States is very large. The percentage of the general population who have used cocaine at some point is 10.5% in the US, five times higher than in the Netherlands. The percentage who have used cocaine in the past month is 0.7% in the US, compared with 0.2% in the Netherlands.*"

Source: Netherlands Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, Drug Policy in the Netherlands: Progress Report September 1997-September 1999, (The Hague: Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, November 1999), p. 6. The report notes "*The figures quoted in this paragraph for drug use in the US are taken from the National Household Survey 1997, SAMHSA, Office of Applied Studies, Washington, DC".

"The National Youth Health Surveys (in 1988, 1992, 1996, 1999) among pupils (12-18 years) showed that the increase in cannabis use since 1988 stabilised between 1996 and 1999 (De Zwart et al. 2000). According to the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children study, this trend continued in 2001 (Ter Bogt et al. 2003). Use of other drugs showed a similar trend or slightly drecreased (LTP of ecstasy and amphetamine)."

Source: Trimbos Institute, "Report to the EMCDDA by the Reitox National Focal Point, The Netherlands Drug Situation 2003" (Lisboa, Portugal: European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, Dec. 2003), p. 19.

For more information, check out Drug War Facts: International Policies & Statistics.

Doesn't really offer any support for Joe....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:17 pm
Thomas wrote:
Joe has stated earlier in this thread that alcohol is more deeply rooted in American culture as marijuana is, and that this should make a legal difference.

It is not so much a legal difference as it is a policy difference.

Thomas wrote:
Why cultural roots should make a legal difference I don't understand. After all, if a drug is bad, passing it down the generations doesn't make it any better.

But it makes it harder to eliminate.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:24 pm
Joe,
I think it's safe to assume that you've had contact with pot smokers throughout your life and since you think it's so harmful to others, I would have at least expected that you could give us personal experience examples as to how the pot smoker is harming others.

You're basing your arguement on other peoples opinions, but I'd be more interested in hearing about your personal experiences.

I don't form my opinions on other peoples opinions, but that's just me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:35 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You 100% have not identified any potential or possible harm to others. I am actually surprised you would claim such a thing. When asked, you profess to not wish to actually do any research, yet you pretend to speak from authority on this issue?

The harm or potential harm to others I assume to be similar or identical to the harm or potential harm to others that is posed by alcohol. I base that on the assumptions of marijuana advocates who say that marijuana and alcohol are comparable, albeit not identical, in their effects. The harmful and potentially harmful effects of alcohol are well-known. I don't plan on doing any research on them.

Furthermore, I have never pretended to speak from authority on this issue. I have never claimed to have any expertise regarding marijuana usage. Indeed, I have never even expressed much interest in this subject. And I have freely admitted, on many occasions, that I believe the scientific evidence to be ambiguous. The only interest I have in this subject is in connection with the general legal and philosophical issues that relate to marijuana legislation. As for the specifics of marijuana as a drug, I haven't the faintest interest whatsoever.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I 'might be right' that female genital mutilation and honor killings have a pernicious and easily identifiable negative effect upon others, whereas marijuana does not? Of course I'm right. Appealing to Extremes on your part, to say that if we accept the fact that other cultures who came to America smoke marijuana, we should accept acts which are harmful to others.

Totally irrelevant to my argument. You argued that Latin American culture is part of American culture (however you define those terms). My examples of Egyptian and Pakistani cultural practices was designed to show just how foolish that statement was. It is immaterial that those cultural practices are "extreme," or that they are more harmful than the cultural practice that you seem to think is part of the Latin American cultural experience (it isn't, but you go ahead and dream your hazy dreams of Hispanic hopheads).

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Also, I didn't say anything about 'immigrants' at all. The Latin American culture is a part of the US culture, because many generations of people of Latin descent were born here in America, and have helped to shape that culture.

Not nearly as much as American culture has shaped American citizens of Hispanic descent. If you're not convinced, go to Colombia sometime and tell me if you feel right at home there.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You may want to actually do a little research into the history of marijuana use in America before you make claims like this.

The story of marijuana usage in American history is certainly one of its shortest and most dreary chapters.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:38 pm
DrewDad wrote:
An appeal to tradition doesn't hold any water with me.

Thanks for sharing that. I never made an appeal to tradition, but thanks for sharing.

DrewDad wrote:
If you're interested in actually discussing the issue, then give us some real evidence of the harms of marijuana. Otherwise, one might say you're just blowing smoke.

You can cut that bullshit right now. I have no more patience for you saying that than I have with Sandy Vagina (aka Kuvasz). If you want to have a discussion, then we'll discuss. But don't try to score any debating points by claiming that I'm not in earnest.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:41 pm
Montana wrote:
Joe,
I think it's safe to assume that you've had contact with pot smokers throughout your life and since you think it's so harmful to others, I would have at least expected that you could give us personal experience examples as to how the pot smoker is harming others.

You're basing your arguement on other peoples opinions, but I'd be more interested in hearing about your personal experiences.

My personal experiences -- whatever they may be -- are absolutely irrelevant to this discussion. I don't put any reliance on anyone else's anecdotal evidence, and I certainly don't offer any in defense of my own position.
0 Replies