Legalization of Marijuana

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:52 am
DrewDad wrote:
Precisely my point. There are products much better for me than bacon and eggs, yet we are not required to deal with the meatlegger when we want something tasty.

There your analogy fails. Bacon and eggs may be "bad" for you, but not in the same way that marijuana and alcohol are "bad" for you. I've never heard of anyone strung out on bacon or wasted on omelettes. We don't have meatleggers, therefore, because meat doesn't pose the same sort of risks as drugs or alcohol.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:57 am
woiyo wrote:
To me the bottom line with the "so-called" drug war, is the govt has no business regulating what I put in my body.....So long as it does interfere with the rights and safety of others.

If I want to smoke a joint in my home, it is not the Govts business. If I then drive a car and hurt someone, then the penalty must be severe.

The government regulates all sorts of private behavior. In general, the government tends to regulate private behavior to the extent that such behavior either threatens the safety and welfare of others or of the persons who engage in that behavior. Thus I am not allowed to counterfeit money as a hobby, even if I have no intention of passing off those counterfeits to others. The test is whether the private behavior has the potential for harm. Why should drug usage be any different in this regard?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:13 am
joefromchicago wrote:
woiyo wrote:
To me the bottom line with the "so-called" drug war, is the govt has no business regulating what I put in my body.....So long as it does interfere with the rights and safety of others.

If I want to smoke a joint in my home, it is not the Govts business. If I then drive a car and hurt someone, then the penalty must be severe.

The government regulates all sorts of private behavior. In general, the government tends to regulate private behavior to the extent that such behavior either threatens the safety and welfare of others or of the persons who engage in that behavior. Thus I am not allowed to counterfeit money as a hobby, even if I have no intention of passing off those counterfeits to others. The test is whether the private behavior has the potential for harm. Why should drug usage be any different in this regard?

I would agree with you if there was consistant policies in this regard. Govt "regulates" private behavior in some cases by taxing the product (Booze and tabacco). Some products are illegal (pot, heroin etc...).

While some drugs, both legal and illegal, alter behavior (anti-depressents/pain killers for example), who and how does one MEASURE the potential for harm to the general public?

Compare one person who smokes 2 joints in an evening to another who drinks 2 six packs of Bud? Who is the greater risk to society when they get behind the wheel of a car or even walking home? The drunk will be driving all over the road or "pee" on your lawn, while the pot head will be driving 20MPH but go straight or just walk down the sidewalk a little "funny".

So my question you you is HOW do your measure the potential and WHO should be making that decision?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:17 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Probably because pot doesn't have the potential to ruin he economy, and making counterfeits does (if the counterfeits are stolen etc).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:33 am
woiyo wrote:
I would agree with you if there was consistant policies in this regard. Govt "regulates" private behavior in some cases by taxing the product (Booze and tabacco). Some products are illegal (pot, heroin etc...).

While some drugs, both legal and illegal, alter behavior (anti-depressents/pain killers for example), who and how does one MEASURE the potential for harm to the general public?

The same way that we, in a democratic society, measure the potential for harm of any substance or activity: through the process of passing legislation. Granted, that may be an imperfect way of evaluating risk, but it's the way that we've settled upon, for better or worse.

woiyo wrote:
So my question you you is HOW do your measure the potential and WHO should be making that decision?

The potential for harm is measured in the course of the legislative process. The persons making that decision are the elected representatives.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:35 am
Coolwhip wrote:
Probably because pot doesn't have the potential to ruin he economy, and making counterfeits does (if the counterfeits are stolen etc).

Depends on how you evaluate the potential for harm. A lone hobbyist crafting counterfeit money in his basement poses about the same amount of risk to the economy as the solitary pothead smoking in his basement poses to society.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:41 am
joefromchicago wrote:
The same way that we, in a democratic society, measure the potential for harm of any substance or activity: through the process of passing legislation. Granted, that may be an imperfect way of evaluating risk, but it's the way that we've settled upon, for better or worse.

That's circular reasoning in the context of whether the current legislation ought to be changed: "We oughtn't legalize Marijuana because marijuana is harmful. It's harmful because legislators made it illegal."
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:44 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Depends on how you evaluate the potential for harm. A lone hobbyist crafting counterfeit money in his basement poses about the same amount of risk to the economy as the solitary pothead smoking in his basement poses to society.

I think that's a bad example since it doesn't really make it obvious that smoking pot is a danger to society. And why would somebody want to create counterfeit money that could potentially be used like real money? If the hobbyist had some fascination with money he could just stamp the words 'invalid' or something similar on it, and it would be legal.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:54 am
I think it's important to point out that marijuana wasn't made illegal based upon any sensible evaluation of risk or harm; and that attempts to prove that it is in fact harmful have generally fallen flat - see the Nixon report.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:56 am
Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

That's circular reasoning in the context of whether the current legislation ought to be changed: "We oughtn't legalize Marijuana because marijuana is harmful. It's harmful because legislators made it illegal."

No circularity at all. It's true that "it's illegal because it's harmful," but it's not true that "it's harmful because it's illegal." The process of legislation includes fact-finding by the legislature. Sometimes that involves lengthy committee hearings and testimony from experts. Sometimes that involves the legislators trading personal anecdotes on the floor of the legislature or relying on personal biases. The former is obviously preferable to the latter, but in a democratic society we have already made the decision that we'll accept the results, regardless of the extent of the fact-finding.

Furthermore, as the facts (or, more often, the perception of the facts) change, there's no reason to hold that the legislation "ought" not to change. If a behavior that was perceived as dangerous or potentially dangerous before is no longer perceived that way, then there is no "ought" to prevent the legislature from changing the laws regarding that behavior.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:01 am
Coolwhip wrote:
I think that's a bad example since it doesn't really make it obvious that smoking pot is a danger to society.

Do you think it's obvious?

Coolwhip wrote:
And why would somebody want to create counterfeit money that could potentially be used like real money? If the hobbyist had some fascination with money he could just stamp the words 'invalid' or something similar on it, and it would be legal.

The law must encompass both the lone hobbyist counterfeiter and the criminal counterfeiter, just as it must encompass both the reclusive pot smoker and the gregarious one. If a behavior is judged to be too risky to be permitted, then it doesn't matter if there are some people who would engage in that behavior without posing any actual risk to the public.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:08 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Bacon and eggs may be "bad" for you, but not in the same way that marijuana and alcohol are "bad" for you. I've never heard of anyone strung out on bacon or wasted on omelettes.

Had your cholesterol checked lately?

Bacon and eggs are more likely to kill a lot of us, than alcohol or marijuana.

"not the same way" - worse.

Quote:
According to the American Heart Association (AHA), more than 870,000 Americans die from heart disease each year, making it the leading killer of both men and women.

one of a pile of links
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:10 am
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Precisely my point. There are products much better for me than bacon and eggs, yet we are not required to deal with the meatlegger when we want something tasty.

There your analogy fails. Bacon and eggs may be "bad" for you, but not in the same way that marijuana and alcohol are "bad" for you. I've never heard of anyone strung out on bacon or wasted on omelettes. We don't have meatleggers, therefore, because meat doesn't pose the same sort of risks as drugs or alcohol.

And so you make the point that if alchohol is legal, then pot should be legal unless one can show that its potential for harm is significantly greater than alchohol. (Or, conversely, that alchohol should be made illegal.)

Thank you for coming over to our camp.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:12 am
joefromchicago wrote:
The law must encompass both the lone hobbyist counterfeiter and the criminal counterfeiter, just as it must encompass both the reclusive pot smoker and the gregarious one. If a behavior is judged to be too risky to be permitted, then it doesn't matter if there are some people who would engage in that behavior without posing any actual risk to the public.

Not so. The law does provide for combinations of behaviors that together form illegal activities.

Drinking and driving, e.g.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:16 am
joefromchicago wrote:

I agree that behavior that poses a threat to others or the our society as a whole should be illegal. However, I still don't see how a gregarious (I don't understand why you chose that word) pot smoker would pose a threat to society, in any situation. There isn't any obvious connetion between the use of pot and violence. I can't think of any other threat a gregarious pot smoker could pose.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:30 am
ehBeth wrote:
Had your cholesterol checked lately?

Yes I have. Thanks for asking.

ehBeth wrote:
Bacon and eggs are more likely to kill a lot of us, than alcohol or marijuana.

"not the same way" - worse.

Depends on what you mean by "worse." But I never said that drugs and alcohol are more likely to kill than bacon and eggs. The important distinction is that bacon and eggs don't pose the same kind of societal risk as do drugs and alcohol.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:33 am
DrewDad wrote:
And so you make the point that if alchohol is legal, then pot should be legal unless one can show that its potential for harm is significantly greater than alchohol. (Or, conversely, that alchohol should be made illegal.)

That would only be true if I accepted the argument that, if I am satisfied with having one potentially dangerous substance being legal, I should not object to having two potentially dangerous substances being legal. But I don't, so it's not.

DrewDad wrote:
Thank you for coming over to our camp.

No thanks are necessary.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:38 am
joefromchicago wrote:
That would only be true if I accepted the argument that, if I am satisfied with having one potentially dangerous substance being legal, I should not object to having two potentially dangerous substances being legal. But I don't, so it's not.

1. Are you satisfied with the legality of alchohol, or do you believe it should be made illegal?
2. If you are satisfied with the legality of alchohol, and if pot and alchohol are equally dangerous, then you would be satisfied with making alchohol illegal and pot legal, n'est pas?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:39 am
DrewDad wrote:
Not so. The law does provide for combinations of behaviors that together form illegal activities.

Drinking and driving, e.g.

Drunken driving is a single behavior, not a combination of behaviors. The typical drunk driver is not drinking while driving. But your comment misses my point anyway, so there's no reason to pursue this any further.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:41 am
DrewDad wrote:
1. Are you satisfied with the legality of alchohol, or do you believe it should be made illegal?

I am satisfied with its legality.

DrewDad wrote:
2. If you are satisfied with the legality of alchohol, and if pot and alchohol are equally dangerous, then you would be satisfied with making alchohol illegal and pot legal, n'est pas?

Only if marijuana held the same place in society and culture as alcohol does. But it doesn't.
0 Replies