Buggered english:

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:03 am
as some may have noticed i have begun 2 post here @ a2k with a 'new' pidgin/phonetic/simplified form of english. i am practicing this 'mode' 4 use in my writing attempts which r within the sf genre, aiming @ a potentially modified form of 'english' which may eventually exist in common usage (giving my work a 'glow' of authenticity), based on simplifying the typing of text by dropping all unneccessary elaborations of wordings, substituting numbers, etc.; the 'lazy hack' level of accuracy (quite suitable 4 me, i assure u)

i would appreciate any advice or criticism of the logic of my choices, here on this thread, 2 avoid cluttering other threads with needless asides which would disrupt the 'flow'.

feel free 2b as abusive as u wish (i would b)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,915 • Replies: 83
No top replies

dupre

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:07 am
I like it and didn't have any trouble reading you.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:10 am
Bo, you go the way you feel. Everyoe else buggers up english, so you might as well. Call it Al Fresco, Ad Lib or simply Off The Cuff. That's what I do & it's just a load of jibber jabber full of made up words or phrazes. l
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:14 am
thanks dupre;
one problem i'm going 2 have 2 deal with is deciding on words like 'colour vs color' or 'centre vs center' where my anal attachment to 'anglo english' leads me 2b stodgy;
i suppose it will have 2 go, eh? i hate 2 admit the 'americanized' dropping of excess letters makes more 'sense?' in these cases. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:22 am
I wuz wonering what the dilly-o wif dat, wus gonna aks yoo...

Hmm...I waver between the British/Canadian spellings and the 'Merican. Ges it deepends on da flava of da mo'.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:24 am
Tru dat.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:31 am
old&; maybe not "words and phrazes" but words in phases!

Cav; this is NOT a laughing matter! Shocked

Mong...; settled on the 'new look' yet?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:42 am
well eye wsh u good 4tune Bo. 1ce you get the 3ad sorted and have 4mulated your style and it's like a 6th sence 4 you, then 10 2 1 you'll be flying on cloud 9 in your 7th heaven some 8 miles high.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:11 am
now u're just showing off!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:45 am
BoGoWo wrote:
thanks dupre;
one problem i'm going 2 have 2 deal with is deciding on words like 'colour vs color' or 'centre vs center' where my anal attachment to 'anglo english' leads me 2b stodgy;
i suppose it will have 2 go, eh? i hate 2 admit the 'americanized' dropping of excess letters makes more 'sense?' in these cases. Rolling Eyes

if you are going for phonetic shouldn't it be culler and senter???? Smile
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 12:05 pm
C'est la vie, Bo, as they say in Quebec
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 12:56 pm
say la te dah, as they say in Florida. Smile

I can read the phonics stuff, just don't know how to spell it. Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 01:21 pm
Bo, sorry about that...my brother would be a better person to talk to actually. He is doing graduate work in linguistics, I am certain he would find your proposal/theory very interesting. If you want to hook up, I'll ask him.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 05:45 pm
Ah, Cav. Linguistics. That branch of the language changes like a will-o-the-wisp. Nothing is more beautiful than the language that everyone can speak with abandon and delight, and it has nothing to do with the tower of babel. It has to do with a deep and meaningful exchange that has already outlived Latin, and will continue to pour over the rocks of ages. Who knows, Cav, from the belly of a sturgeon, from whence cometh the roe, may also come a stench of still born knowledge.

Sorry, Bo. Did I go off topic? I don't think so. and if I did..just call it a river of consciousness. Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 06:31 pm
Checking in to say I won't be checking in, I have some visceral predisposition to hate, hate, hate, such truncation of words. I can understand not having that reaction, and how it could work with SF writing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 06:36 pm
Osso? What?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 07:13 pm
I don't like truncated english myself, can barely look at it.

I understand that other people like it and that it could work for writing science fiction.

That's what.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 07:16 pm
I'm with oss on this one.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 07:16 pm
ok, Osso. I gotcha. but think of your paintings. They say nothing and everything.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 07:20 pm
ok, gus. Looks as though the swamp creature has a bog up his morass.. Smile

Goonight all.

From Florida
0 Replies