Ladies, your thoughts on hysterectomy, please

urs53

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:26 am
Noddy, very interesting way of thinking. This is the way I tend to think.

A second opinion is absolutely needed in any case.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:36 am
About ten years ago, Mrs. Walter was due to have one, as an emergency case.
But istead of the hysterectomy, she got an even more urgent surgery for lumbar disc herniation.

Hysterectomy isn't a topic anymore (though hot flashes and other menopause-related things carry on ... ).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:36 am
I have no experience in this area, just adding an ear. Even if it is the wrong body part.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:54 am
Urs, I also would get a second opinion to check out different alternatives.
There is so much accomplished via laparoscopies nowadays, that having
a complete hysterectomy isn't necessary any longer.

Of course I have no experience there either, except having had a laparoscopy a few times due to cysts.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:17 pm
I second all those who advice a second opinion. I had a hysterecttomy whe I was 28 for a condition, endometriosis, that they treat in other ways today. That was 27 years ago. Having said that, I don't miss my uterus either. Have you had all of the children you want?

If it is the concensus opinion of you doctors to have a hysterectomy, don't fear that you will have any lasting affects. I forgot if you said. Will you have your ovaries removed as well?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 02:43 am
No, Swimpy, just the uterus. The rest stays in.

I have no children and do not want any so that is no problem.

So there are no problems with hormones or loss of hormones or whatever? That was my understanding from what my doctor said. But now some people said that removal of the uterus will mix up the hormones and make me age faster (?).
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:46 am
Not true. The hormones will still be produced by your ovaries. You will be fine. You will not age faster. I think a lot of people blame the surgery for all of the ills that befall them afterwards. Those things were probably going to happen anyway.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:14 pm
Remember the "empty nest syndrome"? Remember the myth that all symptoms of menopause were because the woman was mourning the end of her childbearing years and grieving because she was no longer a person of value?

A lot of nonsense is still around.

Your ovaries will do just fine without a uterus.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 06:47 am
Info on this (uterine fibroids) from today's NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/health/07cons.html?_r=1

Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll copy + paste the article.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:14 am
Thanks, sozobe. The link works. Very interesting.

Noddy and Swimpy, I like they way you are thinking! Yes, I agree - it is easier to just blame something like this. My mother had a hysterectomie many years ago. She is 71 now and looks and feels great. If this is aging faster I have no problem with it!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:45 am
If you don't NEED a hysterectomy, and there are alternatives, why have it?
Get a second opinion. Explore your options. Like anyone else, doctors are quick sometimes to go the route that's easiest and MOST PROFITABLE for them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:56 am
I don't think that it is profit-related - doctors here get their money according to our "physician fee schedule". (Besides, I could imagine that it is done in hospital and not ambulant at urs' doctor's practise.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:24 am
Don't know what's going on over there but over here, it is most-definitely profit-related. EVERYTHING is profit-related.

A fullblown hysterectomy means more money that your insurance company will have to cough up for the couple of days in the hospital as opposed to a few hours as an out-patient, more money for the doc simply because it's a more invasive and intense type of surgery, more money to the anaesthetist for having to keep you under longer. That goes for the rest of the crew, nurses and such, as well.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:30 am
eoe wrote:
Don't know what's going on over there but over here, it is most-definitely profit-related. EVERYTHING is profit-related.

A fullblown hysterectomy means more money that your insurance company will have to cough up for the couple of days in the hospital as opposed to a few hours as an out-patient, more money for the doc simply because it's a more invasive and intense type of surgery, more money to the anaesthetist for having to keep you under longer. That goes for the rest of the crew, nurses and such, as well.

Everyone has encouraged urs to get more opinions. A hysterectomy is major surgery and should never be taken lightly. I just want to reassure urs that if that is the concensus medical opinion, it is not the end of the world.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 02:46 pm
eoe wrote:

I agree to a certain extent. Some of us health care workers(the rest of the crew) are paid an hourly wage
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 02:52 pm
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:13 am
That's very interesting, Miller. Thank you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:06 am
Ahem - William Parker is my gynecologist. Or was, as I've moved. (If I had anything serious now, I'd try to get back to Santa Monica to see him for a consult.) I feel very lucky that I had such a competent and thoughtful physician all those years.
He has also written, along with his wife, a book to give patients information about procedures and support increased patients' knowledge. I'll be back when I find the title of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:18 am
Here's a website on Dr. Parker, and at the end, the title of the book for patients. I see it's been revised, which is good, as my only qualm in recommending the book was that the copy I have is fairly old now, and new procedures have been developed.

http://www.parkermd.com/

more on the book -
http://www.gynsecondopinion.com/

edit to add amazon link -
A2K Amazon link for A Gynecologist's Second Opinion, The Questions and Answers You Need to Take Charge of Your Health
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 10:32 am
http://www.ask4ufe.com/

Here's another good website I've found.
Not that I'm promoting one particular type of treatment, just that this is one that I know quite a bit about.
0 Replies