Indications are that we'll win, but there's one little thing

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:01 pm
Hillary's voice bothers me because I hear it as controlling. I pick this 'controlling' aspect up in male or female voices. Might have something to do with people in my past who seem to always speak with weighed words..

I don't know if that quality bothers nimh.

(I will vote for Hillary if she is the nominee.)
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:10 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Hillary's voice bothers me because I hear it as controlling. I pick this 'controlling' aspect up in male or female voices. Might have something to do with people in my past who seem to always speak with weighed words..

Perhaps you don't like uppity women. BTW, the recently released letters by her show that she is quite human, and decent.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 06:54 pm
ossobuco wrote:

OK...but...

How about Rudy? Surely his is a voice marked by a strong aspect of "control". Or how about Cheney?

Are you sure that your 'hearing' isn't colored by the gender element? That 'controllingness' is normal or understandable or excuseable in a male but not in a female?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 06:55 pm
Wait, I AM an uppity woman...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 06:59 pm
Blatham, on Rudy, I haven't heard his voice.

On gender, I know equal numbers of men and women with that kind of controlling voice - they are fairly rare and memorable to me. Heh, my ex, for one. I've always said "the next guy will just talk already".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:00 pm
Hillary doesn't upspeak/uptalk.

I think that can be disconcerting to some.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:03 pm
In any case, I wouldn't vote based on voice.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:16 pm
ossobuco wrote:
In any case, I wouldn't vote based on voice.

I understand that, Osso.

Take the repeated 'complaint' that Hillary is 'ambitious'. There's a quality which can be seen to be absent in which high level political aspirants in any country that you or I have bumped into? Perhaps Ghandi, or Mandela or Havel...perhaps. So why is it Hillary who has the red "A" splashed on her forehead?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:52 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I don't know, for me the voice of Dennis Kocinich is like nails on a blackboard and he's a guy...isn't he?

Ditto Harry Reid. Looking and listening to him makes my hair hurt as I marvel that somehow the Dems have discovered the secrets of Dr. Moreau and did their best work on a toad.

You know, without all of deliberate and concerted efforts to cast Newt Gingrich as Satan's spawn, you might feel entirely different about him.

Gingrich. How could anyone hold anything other than deep respect for the man, for his integrity and most particularly, for the quality of 'character'. I recall in 1996 his appearance on Meet The Press where he observed that the Clintons and their staffs were throwbacks to the 1960s counterculture - immoral, self-indulgent, irresponsible, perverse, not really to be trusted. And after that appearance (or the next day or the day after that) Newt ejaculated into or onto the House staffer, 20 years his junior, with whom he was having an on-going affair while his wife was in the hospital.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 03:25 am
Advocate wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

Perhaps you don't like uppity women. BTW, the recently released letters by her show that she is quite human, and decent.

I find the timing of the release of those letters to be suspicious.
The man that had them hadnt spoken to Hillary in 30+ years,but he still had the letters?
And all of a sudden the NYTimes finds him and he just "gives" them the letters?

That seems to convenient to me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 03:42 am
blatham wrote:
Take the repeated 'complaint' that Hillary is 'ambitious'.

You have to admit that's a valid complaint though. You and I would both prefer "the Dude" from "The Big Lebowski" in the White House.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:55 am
Thomas wrote:
blatham wrote:
Take the repeated 'complaint' that Hillary is 'ambitious'.

You have to admit that's a valid complaint though. You and I would both prefer "the Dude" from "The Big Lebowski" in the White House.

I'd go so far as to nominate him for Il Being Supremo.

And you know, it isn't quality of voice, but there is something that immediately identifies Giuliani with the Jesus Quintana character.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:09 am
mysteryman wrote:
I find the timing of the release of those letters to be suspicious.
The man that had them hadnt spoken to Hillary in 30+ years,but he still had the letters?
And all of a sudden the NYTimes finds him and he just "gives" them the letters?

That seems to convenient to me.

They were already referred to by one of Hillary's biographers -- Gail Sheehy? -- a decade or so ago. Hillary found out the guy still had them that way, and wrote to ask for copies. He did. (No further correspondence.)

Here we go:

Quote:
Besides a quick receiving-line greeting from Mrs. Clinton at the reunion, Mr. Peavoy has had just one direct contact with her in 38 years. It was, fittingly, by letter, only this time her words were more businesslike.

In the late 1990s, Mr. Peavoy was contacted by the author Gail Sheehy, who was researching a book on the first lady. He agreed to let Ms. Sheehy see the letters, from which she would quote snippets in her 1999 biography, "Hillary's Choice." When Mrs. Clinton heard that Mr. Peavoy had kept her old letters, she wrote him asking for copies, which he obliged. He has not heard from her since.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:11 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Wait, I AM an uppity woman...

That doesn't mean that you like them. Many people don't like strong women, which is quite evident regarding Hill. Do you remember the little imbroglio when Hill said that she is not the type of woman who stays home baking cookies. On the other hand, there is considering admiration for Laura Bush, who is basically a cipher.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:31 pm
I generally like/respond well to strong women, and am fine with Hillary's ambitions. I am not part of a larger pattern of unacknowledged shying from ambitiouw women.

I was simply mentioning I have a problem with her mode of vocalization of her thoughts.

As to picking on her instead of men, I have heard her, but not many of the men running - I don't watch tv.
I have heard Kucinich in person; he was nearby in a restaurant I was dining at some years ago. I've no negative memory of his voice.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, a reacton to a voice, a reation to a voice.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 03:39 pm
I heard Kucinich during the debates, and was very favorably impressed. He speaks clearly and forcefully and, moreover, makes very good sense most of the time. It is a pity that he is not accorded more credit by the national public.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:02 pm
blatham wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I don't know, for me the voice of Dennis Kocinich is like nails on a blackboard and he's a guy...isn't he?

Ditto Harry Reid. Looking and listening to him makes my hair hurt as I marvel that somehow the Dems have discovered the secrets of Dr. Moreau and did their best work on a toad.

You know, without all of deliberate and concerted efforts to cast Newt Gingrich as Satan's spawn, you might feel entirely different about him.

Gingrich. How could anyone hold anything other than deep respect for the man, for his integrity and most particularly, for the quality of 'character'. I recall in 1996 his appearance on Meet The Press where he observed that the Clintons and their staffs were throwbacks to the 1960s counterculture - immoral, self-indulgent, irresponsible, perverse, not really to be trusted. And after that appearance (or the next day or the day after that) Newt ejaculated into or onto the House staffer, 20 years his junior, with whom he was having an on-going affair while his wife was in the hospital.

So, the media attacks against Gingrich are accurate while those against Hilary are not?

This sort of bullshite notion is precisely why, despite whatever claim you may lay to impartial rationality, you will ever be seen, essentially, as a partisan hack.

Hilary is a victim of the media, but Newt didn't get blasted enough. Right?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:09 pm
Gingrich divorced his wife while she was in the hospital, but Hillary only took a hundred grand kickback. She is only a petty crook compared to the devil himself, Newt Gingrich.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:11 pm
Can't we agree that they both suck?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:50 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Can't we agree that they both suck?

Cycloptichorn

I am readily prepare to agree they are both flawed, and seriously so.

Given that each and every major figure in human history has been flawed, it would seem the prudent course is to focus on the strengths that elevate them well above the inevitably flawed individual.

In this regard, Newt is, clearly, superior to Hilary ( and she is no slouch).

But, it's all about winning elections and POWER, and so why should we give a shite about the intellecually sound?

God help us.
0 Replies