Indications are that we'll win, but there's one little thing

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 01:26 pm
There is ample evidence that my points are valid, kuvasz. This evidence includes the fact that black people immigrating from other countries do better here than black people that have been born here and taught that they are severely disadvantaged. Black people that come here and have no pre-conceived notions of having a handicap because of color, do better. Further, people from other countries, such as Vietnam, have done quite well, and they would of course have ample reason to expect discrimination. We have all heard of the idea of being too white by studying and excelling in schools. This is a cultural thing, and some notable black people have recognized this, such as Bill Cosby, Jessie Lee Peterson, and others. Unfortunately, the Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons and others continue to preach racism, and it is those people that the press hold out as black leaders, and thankfully I think more and more blacks are not happy about it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 01:29 pm
okie wrote:
There is ample evidence that my points are valid, kuvasz. This evidence includes the fact that black people immigrating from other countries do better here than black people that have been born here and taught that they are severely disadvantaged. Black people that come here and have no pre-conceived notions of having a handicap because of color, do better. Further, people from other countries, such as Vietnam, have done quite well, and they would of course have ample reason to expect discrimination. We have all heard of the idea of being too white by studying and excelling in schools. This is a cultural thing, and some notable black people have recognized this, such as Bill Cosby, Jessie Lee Peterson, and others. Unfortunately, the Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons and others continue to preach racism, and it is those people that the press hold out as black leaders, when many blacks are not happy about it.

Not a bad post.

Two points:

First, I've read a lot of stuff Obama has written, and heard him speak many times, and he doesn't harp on the 'I'm black' angle very often at all.

Second, the whole 'Black folk won't support him' angle is simply ludicrous. A group which votes 90+% with Dems is going to drop their support once a viable black candidate runs for prez? Nope.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 01:36 pm
kuvasz, one more comment. Thanks for the consideration of not accusing of racism. I admit I did not grow up around black people, but my parents never taught racism, and I spent alot of time around black people in the military and other places later in life. The best drill sargeant I had in training, far and away, was a black guy that had spent many years polishing his craft, he got results, but underneath he was a kind man, not something that could be said about all drill sargeants.

This may sound weird, but I like black cultural traits better than whites in some ways. We are all individuals and skin color makes no difference in our value to our maker.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:09 pm
Hmmm...

According to the July 12th Rassmusen survey the "Favorable/Unfavorable" ratings for the Democrats running for President:

Hillary Clinton: 52%/46%
John Edwards: 47%/46%
Chris Dodd: 20%/42%
Bill Richardson: 33%/39%
Dennis Kucinich: 21%/39%
Joe Biden: 32%/38%
Barrack Obama: 54%/37%
Mike Gravel: 12%/32%

That puts Obama in the lead for the favorable rating and 2nd to the lowest unfavorable ratings.

Giuliani is the only Republican that even comes close and he isn't all that close (his unfavorables are higher).

If people actually vote the way they poll, it would seem that the U.S. is ready for a black as President.

(Hillary's unfavorable rating has been in the 50% range since the early '90s when Bill was running. People clearly just don't like her so it is hard to extrapolate that to women in general...)

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/clinton_44_giuliani_43
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:11 pm
okie wrote:
There is ample evidence that my points are valid, kuvasz. This evidence includes the fact that black people immigrating from other countries do better here than black people that have been born here and taught that they are severely disadvantaged. Black people that come here and have no pre-conceived notions of having a handicap because of color, do better. Further, people from other countries, such as Vietnam, have done quite well, and they would of course have ample reason to expect discrimination. We have all heard of the idea of being too white by studying and excelling in schools. This is a cultural thing, and some notable black people have recognized this, such as Bill Cosby, Jessie Lee Peterson, and others. Unfortunately, the Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons and others continue to preach racism, and it is those people that the press hold out as black leaders, and thankfully I think more and more blacks are not happy about it.

I thought the remarks I posted from Dr West pointed to the reason; and they were not based upon "expectations."

Quote:
The race problem in America has always been, in part, a class problem and it remains both a matter of economic deprivation and color prejudice.

Black emigrants face discrimination akin to native born blacks, but likely they are wealthier or more educated than indigenous blacks, which, as I stated in my first post may well be why native blacks are sometimes prejudiced against them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
kuvasz wrote:
We have come a long and at times bloody way since the Selma boycott and Greensboro sit-ins, but we are not there yet.

It depends on what you mean by "there."

If "there" is a truly and comprehensively non-racist society, no, we're not there yet.

If "there" is a society that would vote for Barack Obama in sufficient numbers for him to win the presidency, indications are that yes, we are there.

One can argue that polls are inaccurate (and I would counter-argue citing advance polls vs. actual voting results from the last election), but polls are pretty clearly saying that yes, America is ready for a black president.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:37 pm
The irony here is that up to this point, I actually have liked Edwards better as a candidate. Obama is a bit moderate politically for my taste. My fear was that Edwards is less electable.

(My support for Edwards has been waning recently because he has done a couple of things that have annoyed me.)

I will be very happy with an Obama presidency.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:50 pm
ebrown_p,

What has annoyed you about Edwards lately? Just curious, because he has been hit by the right and the MSM so hard about character flaws...eg., "Breck Girl" about his hair cut, when Mitt Romney has been rather outre himself and has wiffled and waffled about just about every topic.

I like both Obama and Edwards and would accept Hillary with one of them, so I am just curious. I haven't made my mind up...just know that I have given money to both Obama and Edwards. Hillary doesn't seem as authentic to me and it maybe because of her history as first lady that I deem this important. I would support her over any Republican running, I must add.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:49 pm
Cyclops, e_brown, et al - I hope you are right, and I am wrong; I hope Barack Obama gets the nomination and the election, and if he does, I will admit for all the world that yes, by God, we have come further than I have given us credit.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:29 pm
I hope Obama wins as well, but hey - Hillary would be historic, too.

At the very worst, you know, we're looking at Clinton/Obama ticket. The Republicans would be completely unable to counter.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:38 pm
I don't think Hillary would want Obama as a second. Just an opinion, but I think she would want someone who wouldn't potentially steal so much of her thunder.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:04 pm
I don't want to help you guys too much, but just a suggestion, you have a much better chance with Obama than with Hillary. Another tip, its personality, not gender or race. You need to forget race and gender, if you can, if you want to win. Your candidate, if your candidate wants to win, should not campaign as a black or as a woman, whichever the case may be. Just a few tips for you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:26 pm
snood wrote:
I don't think Hillary would want Obama as a second. Just an opinion, but I think she would want someone who wouldn't potentially steal so much of her thunder.

I think that's an unfair assessment of her character and motivations, snood. And after all, it isn't as if she has no familiarity with having someone else close to her who packs more "thunder" than her.

If she wins the candidacy, then she will choose a runningmate who she feels will compliment her presidency and, of course, who will help her get there. And Obama will surely help get her there, with his enthusiasm, his positiveness, his attraction to such a broad base of citizens (perhaps particularly the african american community and youth). All of these plusses would seem to me to also soften the negatives that people see in her. I think she'd be a fool not to pick him and she's no fool.

What I really don't like about this character assumption you've made here is that it follows a trajectory forwarded by the right as part of their strategy to make the Clintons look bad and then to thwart her health initiative in her husbands first term. Look for video footage of her back in that period and what I guarantee you will see is a youthful, vigorous, happy, bright, competent and enthusiastic woman. Then look at the rightwing noise machine's repetetive portrayals of her at that same period and onward... "cold", "ambitious", "scheming", "elitist", "manipulative", etc
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:31 pm
Well, its unfortunate that my opinion of Hillary runs parallel to the image the right is trying to portray - but it is my opinion. I have watched the Clintons from the first time I heard of Bill, and I see her as someone driven more by an ego-fed need for power than by any answer to any call to serve her fellow people.

I can't help that it bothers you, but grownups can disagree and survive it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:40 pm
blatham wrote:
Then look at the rightwing noise machine's repetetive portrayals of her at that same period and onward... "cold", "ambitious", "scheming", "elitist", "manipulative", etc

For a "noise machine" to work, it has to have credibility, blatham, and even snood is trying to tell you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:41 pm
okie wrote:
I don't want to help you guys too much, but just a suggestion, you have a much better chance with Obama than with Hillary. Another tip, its personality, not gender or race. You need to forget race and gender, if you can, if you want to win. Your candidate, if your candidate wants to win, should not campaign as a black or as a woman, whichever the case may be. Just a few tips for you.

Gender and race will arise because both are important. It was important for women to get the vote. It was important for blacks to arrive in major league ball and in the supreme court and through the front doors of restaurants. These aren't symbolic advances. These are real and they need to happen if america is to actually demonstrate the promise of its constitutional preamble.

It would possibly be racist or sexist to suggest that these two aspects trump all else. But no one I know of is saying that, least of all the two candidates in question.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:46 pm
Blacks arrived in major league ball because they can play the game, and eventually that fact could not be ignored. And they arrived in restaurants because they have every right that anyone else has to be served, and that fact could not be ignored any longer. And they arrived in the Supreme Court because they have the credentials of being good in their profession, example Clarence Thomas, and some of the people that most viciously opposed Mr Thomas were blacks, not because he was black but because he was conservative. Which points out one important point. There is alot of politics mixed up in this debate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:26 pm
blatham wrote:
I think that's an unfair assessment of her character and motivations, snood. And after all, it isn't as if she has no familiarity with having someone else close to her who packs more "thunder" than her.

...and it could easily be argued that the fact that Bill packs so much thunder rankles and has rankled for quite a while, and that she wouldn't knowingly go into such a situation if she could help it. (It's far more dangerous to separate herself from Bill at this point than to never join forces with Obama...)

I don't want her to get the nomination, but if she DOES, I'm not sure what I'd want. I want Obama in the White House, and poised to become president after her -- but I think a Hillary/ Obama ticket would have an even worse chance than a Hillary/most anyone else ticket, and I want the Democrats to win. Too many of the same positives and too many of the same negatives. Edwards could possibly work, but I think it would have to be someone outside of the top three, someone older and with scads of experience (Hillary's first lady experience is of limited import).
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:51 pm
snood wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
snood wrote:
Good for you, Finn.

Obama is "widely known as half-white". Laughing

For someone who wishes to be seen as intelligent enough to discuss race in an open-minded way, you consistently disappoint.

What is laughable about my comment?

Are you suggesting that pointing out the fact of his racial heritage is somehow, in itself, racist?

Emoticons notwithstanding, Obama is bi-racial. He is the son of a "black" man (and an African black man at that) and a "white woman" (and a white woman from Kansas at that).

Perhaps it troubles you that the Democratic party has gotten behind Obama in a way it never did for Jackson, Sharpton, Mosley-Braun or Chisholm, and the reason may be that the man is seen as representing positions and interests that extend beyond racial confines.

At what point does a blind assertion of racism become racist?

I can't help it Finn - you're just funny. Maybe it's just in the sense that one must either laugh at you, or be saddened. You speak as if you are somehow a judge of what does and doesn't pass as "intelligent" discourse on matters of race, but your words reveal you over and over as retrograde and provincial.

The statement that Obama is "widely viewed as half-white" is just funny? What the hell does that even mean? Widely viewed by who?

I won't fit into any of the pigeonholes you're trying so pitifully hard to put me in - I simply think this country ain't ready for a black or a woman president, period. Twist it, pervert it, put it in your pipe and smoke it. It isn't getting any more complicated.

Snooty snood.

You have a peculiar sense of humor.

I'm not sure why you have such a difficulty with "widely viewed as half-white," but then it may have something to do with your desire to dodge the point I have been making.

Who views him as "half-white?" Democrats, principally.

Again, did we see the sort of Democratic support for any of the prior African-American candidates who were widely viewed as "wholly black?" (Notwithstanding the fact that genetically, Obama, even with his white mother, may be more "African" than Jackson or Sharpton."

I couldn't care less what his race might be, he is a liberal and I will not vote for him. If he were one of the "wholly black" Republicans I referenced, I would vote for him.

You bemoan the fact that the country is not ready to vote for an African-American.

Since this particular "African-American" is a liberal, do you really credit racism with why Republicans will not vote for him?

If racism is to block Obama from the White House, it must be racism that lives within the independents and the left. The very people who will swear to God or The Void that they are only too happy to vote for a black man.

By the way, how I am retrograde or provincial on the matter of race? If you came up with this crack comment, one would imagine that something of substance formed it in your mind. Perhaps you will share it with me.

So you don't think America is ready for a black president. Good for you, but this forum is not a bulletin board or a highway overpass. You can tag it with whatever your current feeling may be, but the expectation is that you will be willing to discuss it. No requirement that you do of course.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:17 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
snood wrote:
Good for you, Finn.

Obama is "widely known as half-white". Laughing

For someone who wishes to be seen as intelligent enough to discuss race in an open-minded way, you consistently disappoint.

What is laughable about my comment?

Are you suggesting that pointing out the fact of his racial heritage is somehow, in itself, racist?

Emoticons notwithstanding, Obama is bi-racial. He is the son of a "black" man (and an African black man at that) and a "white woman" (and a white woman from Kansas at that).

I think you should be made aware of the prejudice recently transplanted native black Africans receive from the native American black population.

Thank you but I am aware of it, in particularly because I have a good friend who has come to this country from Nigeria.

But regardless, if Osama had the skin color of John Lewis he wouldn't even be talked about other than a curiosity. It isn't just about color, it goes deeper, into what shade you are. Bill Cosby was a far greater talent than Diane Carol but her light skin made her more palatable to the white majority of TV viewers and she not Cosby was the first African American to star in her own weekly tv show.

And Obama is a nice non-threatening cafe au lait shade with (better still) thin lips who white liberals can better embrace without confrontation with their denied racism.

So I commend you for being close to the target, but not too close.

btw, Bob Marley was "half-white" too, and the son of an Englishman.

Big deal. The fact that someone is "half-white" is immaterial except to the extent that those who view him or her factor it into their opinion. Snood in his reflexively (and perhaps warranted) attitude about race reacts to any use of "half-white" as some clear indication of racism. Of course it is not. It probably is for those who view Obama in any racial mode, but that's another story.

Perhaps it troubles you that the Democratic party has gotten behind Obama in a way it never did for Jackson, Sharpton, Mosley-Braun or Chisholm, and the reason may be that the man is seen as representing positions and interests that extend beyond racial confines.

On the other hand American blacks who live their "blackness" in White America every day might look at that as selling out.

True enough, but that's not really the point unless Snood believes that Obama cannot be elected president because African-Americans will not support him. Chances are (and who knows because Snoody doesn't deign to discuss his opinions with a Cracker like me) that should racism prevent Obama from being elected (Let's face it, if he makes the general election American blacks who "live their 'blackness' in White America every day will not vote for the Republican candidate rather than any sort of "Oreo.") it will be the racism of those who might be, otherwise, expected to vote Democratic. {Too many (), I know}
At what point does a blind assertion of racism become racist?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but linguistically speaking blind assertions of racism without proof are ad hominum, not racist.
[/color]

Well, only if one insists on a strict interpretation of "blind." Substitute, if you will, "unfounded" or "reflexive" with "blind" and you will arrive at my point with, perhaps, a greater linguistic comfort.

By the way Kuvy, it's quite refreshing to exchange ideas with you absent the usual exchange of insults. Let's try and keep it up.

0 Replies