Why I hate Italians

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 12:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
What got Bush elected and then re-elected? It doesn't bear close examination.
Hi Set nice to see your contributions again. Surely you are not suggesting that Bush won illegally?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 02:05 pm
Is Kathleen Harris Italian?

http://www.mega.bz/rotfl/img_sat/harris_tn.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:40 am
She sure is about as ugly as a mud fence.

Steve, i am reminded of Abraham Lincoln saying to Senator Fessenden: "Surely you're not saying that Secretary Cameron would steal?" To which Fessenden replied: "Well, he wouldn't steal a red-hot stove." Confronted in the rotunda of the Capitol by Cameron, Fessenden responded: "I'm sorry i said you wouldn't steal a red-hot stove."
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:54 am
Did you scare Foofie off Setana you alpha male you? She was a lot of fun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 01:34 pm
Foofie probably had to run out to refresh her (his?) supply of comic book historical sound bites. That last one, about Catholics being allowed into the United States as factory workers, fell pretty flat. She (he?) probably just needs new material.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 01:47 pm
Foofie, it is ok to be bored with Eastern European history and thus pay no attention to it. However, that's where it should end. If you are, however, willingly ignorant of it AND you make claims about it, then you are subjecting yourself to inevitable ridicule that follows from such actions.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:27 pm
Eva wrote:
Foofie wrote:
...Old Testament Christians...

Huh?

There was no Christ, hence no "Christians," in the Old Testament. Do you mean Jews?

No I meant Christians that identified with the Old Testament, having fled Europe from persecution, even though they were followers of Christ.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:32 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Foofie, it is ok to be bored with Eastern European history and thus pay no attention to it. However, that's where it should end. If you are, however, willingly ignorant of it AND you make claims about it, then you are subjecting yourself to inevitable ridicule that follows from such actions.

Or, I'm educating Europeans on how some U.S. citizens might know very little about Europe, and what they know are popular notions (aka canards), and they are content with not knowing fact. It's all part of being immersed in the U.S. culture.

It's the secular version of believing one will get Raptured Up upon the Second Coming.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:39 pm
i'm not sure, foofie. there is plenty of americans who are well versed in history. i am perfectly ignorant of chemistry and i doubt that if i started telling american chemists my theories and speculations i would be educating them about how some slovaks know little to nothing about chemistry... i would just make a fool out of myself, that's all.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
Foofie probably had to run out to refresh her (his?) supply of comic book historical sound bites. That last one, about Catholics being allowed into the United States as factory workers, fell pretty flat. She (he?) probably just needs new material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland#History

Parse the name of the state and read the history, you'll see that there was anti-Catholicism in the U.S. from its inception.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:44 pm
Oh, go ahead, tell Setanta all about it...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:48 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i'm not sure, foofie. there is plenty of americans who are well versed in history. i am perfectly ignorant of chemistry and i doubt that if i started telling american chemists my theories and speculations i would be educating them about how some slovaks know little to nothing about chemistry... i would just make a fool out of myself, that's all.

Why do you keep calling yourself a Slovak? You don't have U.S. citizenship? It's none of my business, but you write English so well, I was assuming you may have been born there, but you are now an American, having come here as a child. Or, are you "clinging" to an ethnic identity like so many Easterners?

Don't believe me, but many Americans have no interest in history, and what they do know is that America was on the winning side of WWI and WWII; the U.S. lost in Vietnam, and they aren't sure what happened in Korea.

But, I don't believe/trust many Europeans (or the U.S. liberals that side with them) since I saw the photo of the sign over the entrance: Arbeit Macht Frei. Get it.
Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:02 pm
Sglass wrote:
eh Foofie you Pacific Asian Rim?

How about Caucasoidal Heinz-American, or just plain American will do.

And the reason you're curious? I'm not curious about anyone's ethnic background, since what I'd like to know, is a) none of my business, and b) I wouldn't expect anyone to either tell the forum or they might just fabricate. And that is simply: what is a person's education. Highest grade completed and at what school, if it was a university.

That is really the important point. Not one's ethnic background. That one question would really separate the chaff from the wheat.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:04 pm
Sglass wrote:
Did you scare Foofie off Setana you alpha male you? She was a lot of fun.

As alpha males I can assume you've both been in the military?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:05 pm
Oh, believe me, I am no patriot whatsoever. I don't cling to any ethnicity, it means little to me.
I came here when i was 24 and no, I do not have U.S. citizenship. So I am, for all practical and legal purposes, a Slovak. It has no emotional purposes to me, other than that my family is there. But it's the people, not the country, that I miss.
I know full well that many Americans are not interested in history - or in history of some regions - it is just that they usually do not post about what they know little about on Able2know. And you do, so I respond to you, not to them.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:06 pm
And Sglass is a lovely lady.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:07 pm
Foofie wrote:
I'm not curious about anyone's ethnic background, since what I'd like to know, is a) none of my business, and b) I wouldn't expect anyone to either tell the forum or they might just fabricate. And that is simply: what is a person's education. Highest grade completed and at what school, if it was a university.

That is really the important point. Not one's ethnic background. That one question would really separate the chaff from the wheat.

...except for my ethnic background, which you just specifically inquired about... :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:09 pm
Interesting. I've rarely seen anyone ask that here on this forum. Some very smart people don't have a lot of framed paper on their walls: some of those have multiple doctorates and some have geds, or not yet that.

Papers, hand me your papers!

(I only remember one instance where someone asked that of a member, and the member's answer totally befuddled the questioner, who then taunted the member, who was amused.)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 08:57 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Interesting. I've rarely seen anyone ask that here on this forum. Some very smart people don't have a lot of framed paper on their walls: some of those have multiple doctorates and some have geds, or not yet that.

Papers, hand me your papers!

(I only remember one instance where someone asked that of a member, and the member's answer totally befuddled the questioner, who then taunted the member, who was amused.)

My point is, intelligence does correlate to educational level and to what school (university) one went to. It also correlates to one's political position many times, since many schools literally brainwash to one opinion or another.

So, without knowing these essentials, much of our posting is a sort of cyberspace masquerade ball, where some people can post their opinion and treat it as fact. That's O.K., as long as we all understand what we're reading. Even fact has an interpretation. And, the reaction really is a joy to see. I can really understand how there was a Thirty Years War once upon a time.

It keeps us all busy until the mind's eye says, "The End."
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:00 pm
Sounds like you need a kibbutz for two Foofie. Get it.
0 Replies