Carla Bruni Blasts Berlusconi's Obama Remark

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 05:44 am
Quote:
11/10/2008 12:20 PM

'YOUNG AND SUNTANNED'
Carla Bruni Blasts Berlusconi's Obama Remark

French First Lady Carla Bruni said she was happy no longer to be an Italian citizen after Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi joked about US President-elect Barack Obama being "suntanned."

France's First Lady Carla Bruni has criticized Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi for joking about US President-elect Barack Obama's "suntan", and said she was glad to have given up her Italian citizenship.

"When I hear Silvio Berlusconi ... joke about the fact that Obama is ’always tanned’, it feels strange to me," she told le Journal du Dimanche newspaper in an interview published on Sunday. "Some people will no doubt put it down to humor, but often I find that I am pleased to have become French," she said.

The Italian-born model and pop singer became a French national and gave up her Italian citizenship after she married French President Nicolas Sarkozy in February.

Berlusconi had said on Thursday that Obama, who will be the first African-American US president, was "handsome, young and also suntanned".

Italy's left-wing opposition parties accused Berlusconi of bringing discredit on the nation with the quip. "He forgets that his statements cast doubt on the image of our country in the world," said Dario Franceschini, member of parliament for the center-left Democratic Party. Berlusconi responded by calling them "imbeciles" with no sense of humor.

Meanwhile French politicians and celebrities had published a petition calling for positive discrimination in favour of people from ethnic minorities. The program "Oui, nous pouvons!" ("Yes, we can!") demands concrete political change to make the French ideal of equality reality for the millions of immigrants living in France.

Bruni-Sarkozy did not sign the petition because of her status as wife of the president but she said she supported it in every respect.

"My husband is not Obama. But the French voted for the son of a Hungarian immigrant, whose father had an accent, whose mother was of Jewish origin, and his stance has always been to say that he's French although he comes from somewhere else."

She continued: "He doesn't look like the traditional French elite but that didn't stop him. And, personally, I don't correspond to the profile of a first lady! I'm an artist, born Italian...Of course, we are, him and me, of European stock, and that's easier."

She said she hoped the "Obama effect" would also change French society.

cro -- with wire reports

Source

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Typical Berlusconi.

Whatever, re Carla Bruni. Not all italians are Berlusconi fans. There is, no doubt, plenty of racism in Italy, but also some non-racism. (A ital friend in Firenze's sister married a Somalian, for example.)
So, is France clear of racism?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't think so. But what she said: "She said she hoped the "Obama effect" would also change French society."
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What courage she displayed!
roger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 11:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Really.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:42 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa, you are clearly mentally sick.
cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:49 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

cjhsa, you are clearly mentally sick.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

(contrex doesn't like tits)
contrex

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 04:26 pm
@cjhsa,
On the contrary, I love tits. I've seen Bruni's tits. Or rather a photo of them. They are nothing special. Just type "Carla Bruni" into Google Image Search, having first disabled Safe Search.

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 04:49 pm
@contrex,
I'm surprised you took a moment to stop searching for "Hillary Clinton's Creamy Thighs".
contrex

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 01:41 pm
@cjhsa,
Hillary is a 61 year old dog. Carla is not. I'd hit Chelsea though.
bigredsshop

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:47 pm
@contrex,
I'd bet he never even saw a creamy thigh, except on his monitor.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Typical Berlusconi.

Do YOU, Ossobuco, know
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Typical Berlusconi.

And who, precisely, are YOU, Ossobuco (a cannibalistic name to begin with) to say "typical"? Do you KNOW the man, or anything about him? Do you, for that matter, know Ms Bruni-Sarkosy? No, you do NOT, you just got baseless opinions - and btw, your Italian may be good for cooking recipes, but is ..... to put it in the politest way possible.....somewhat shaky otherwise. I

f you absolutely need to insist on Ms Bruni-Sarkosy's qualifications to be first lady of France, try asking the guys she dated. starting with Mick Jagger. I did go to the second Mrs Sarkosy's latest wedding a few weeks ago in New York, and admired her total silence on Ms. Bruni - perhaps on advice of the French consul, who was also present.
High Seas

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:36 pm
@contrex,
Contrex - YOU would HIT Chelsea?

Learn English, possibly with OSSO - you could HIT ON Chelsey - try and keep in mind, if you thought German prepositions were difficult, try English.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:02 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas, honey, I've followed articles about Berlusconi for quite a long time, at least from about the time of his first rampage through the office. I remember saving a news photo of protesters in a piazza - maybe or maybe not piazza Monte Citorio - with the protesters all wearing Pinocchio nose masks as a sniff towards his lying ways.

Many people know more about Berlusconi than I do, since my interest in Italy is not primarily about either him or even cuisine - though a swell article in a fairly recent New Yorker kept me informed about his escapades with the legislature.

Be more thoughtful in your choice for yelling attacks.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll add a link on a recent thread I started, primarily as a message to nimh to check out the NYer article.

http://able2know.org/topic/126046-1

I've since learned that as a subscriber I do have access to the depth of their archives.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't understand your fulgent attack on me, High Seas...

starting with an attack on my username. Was it you who chased me through several posts about the name several years ago? That was a strange set of posts, and no one has done that in the years since.

Are you assuming I somehow hate France? Quite the contrary, I'm almost as interested in France as I am in Italy.

I posit that you didn't like that I used the word "whatever". I didn't like that word myself for years, but now I can see its use from time to time.
High Seas

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:23 am
@ossobuco,
I'm sorry to hear that someone pursued you years ago - my comment was however simply due to the fact that I had some business dealings with Silvio Berlusconi years ago and I quite liked him, he's a man of his word.

Separately, Mrs Sarkozy isn't supposed to make statements on public policy of any country, especially not of a foreign one, even though she was originally a citizen there. The late Mr Thatcher had the right idea on the duties of spouses of heads of government when he observed: "It would be intolerable for me to utter any opinion on political matters".

I also find it intolerable, no matter which unelected spouse does it. Hope that cleared up the 2 reasons for my annoyance with the previous comment; I should have explained, and didn't - sorry.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:14 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Contrex - YOU would HIT Chelsea?

Learn English, possibly with OSSO - you could HIT ON Chelsey - try and keep in mind, if you thought German prepositions were difficult, try English.

I am English, and where I come from,

1. "hit on" means to make an unwelcome approach to a person with a view to sexual dalliance.

Mary said that she left the office Christmas party early because of all the fat old guys who kept hitting on her.

2. "hit" is slang for "screw" or "have sex with".

Kate Winslet? I'd hit her!