Why I hate Italians

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 01:16 pm
Foofie wrote:
And if you remember WWI history, France wanted such large reparations from Germany it set the stage for the Weimar Republic inflation which was fertile soil for the Nazis to gain power. Now there too a country wanted to profit from their war effort.

Once again, you are peddling horseshit which bears no relationship to historical reality. In fact, you are peddling the propaganda of a myth dear to the heart of the Nazis, the "Versailles Diktat" myth. In fact, after 1871, the Germans imposed reparations of 700,000,000 gold francs on the French, who not only paid it off to the surprise of Europe (the Germans had thought to cripple them economically for generations), but paid it off in under three years by knuckling down and "biting the bullet."

So, it was an easy line of bullshit for gutter politicians to peddle that the French were out for revenge with the reparations, and the "Versailles Diktat" myth, and the accompanying "Stab in the Back Myth" (to the effect that the German Army was never defeated--which is pure BS--but had been betrayed by politicians; that was used to discredit Weimar, which actually did a very good job of effectively governing Germany) were both essential to the propaganda of the Brown Shirts, the NSDAP and DNP (the German National Party, basically the conservatives).

You're peddling Nazi propaganda, even if you don't know it or intend it. In the first place, the NSDAP and Hitler never had an original idea in their pathetic lives--every effective economic measure in the 1920s and -30s was a product of the Weimar government; even the cosmetic propaganda crapola like soup kitchens and public "make-work" projects which originally drew favorable attention to the NSDAP was first put into effect by the Brown Shirts. As with the economic policy of Weimar, the NSDAP coopted such programs and claimed the credit for themselves.

The Germans never paid their reparations. They paid less than 20%, and that was only the "in kind" payments of ships, rolling stock, manufacturing equipment and stocks of industrial materials, which the Allies largely got because they seized them after the war, rather than having had them willingly handed over by the Germans. Much of the High Seas Fleet was scuttled by the crews to avoid turning warships over to the Allies as reparations. The reparation schedule was arrived at by all of the Allies representatives (literally thousands of them) working in concert, and was not a revenge act by France. Not only did Germany not pay its reparations, but Austria and Hungary were forgiven their reparations debts because of economic hardship--only Bulgaria paid it's reparations, and only did so by accepting economic beggary for 20 years.

I understand that you are largely ignorant of history, and that what you spout off is the type of historical myth which is the equivalent of the news "sound bite." I would think by now, though, for as long as you've been posting here, that you would have learned to check out your facts before you spout off. Apparently not, though, as you continue to post drivel such as that.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
Foofie wrote:
And if you remember WWI history, France wanted such large reparations from Germany it set the stage for the Weimar Republic inflation which was fertile soil for the Nazis to gain power. Now there too a country wanted to profit from their war effort.

Once again, you are peddling horseshit which bears no relationship to historical reality. In fact, you are peddling the propaganda of a myth dear to the heart of the Nazis, the "Versailles Diktat" myth. In fact, after 1871, the Germans imposed reparations of 700,000,000 gold francs on the French, who not only paid it off to the surprise of Europe (the Germans had thought to cripple them economically for generations), but paid it off in under three years by knuckling down and "biting the bullet."

So, it was an easy line of bullshit for gutter politicians to peddle that the French were out for revenge with the reparations, and the "Versailles Diktat" myth, and the accompanying "Stab in the Back Myth" (to the effect that the German Army was never defeated--which is pure BS--but had been betrayed by politicians; that was used to discredit Weimar, which actually did a very good job of effectively governing Germany) were both essential to the propaganda of the Brown Shirts, the NSDAP and DNP (the German National Party, basically the conservatives).

You're peddling Nazi propaganda, even if you don't know it or intend it. In the first place, the NSDAP and Hitler never had an original idea in their pathetic lives--every effective economic measure in the 1920s and -30s was a product of the Weimar government; even the cosmetic propaganda crapola like soup kitchens and public "make-work" projects which originally drew favorable attention to the NSDAP was first put into effect by the Brown Shirts. As with the economic policy of Weimar, the NSDAP coopted such programs and claimed the credit for themselves.

The Germans never paid their reparations. They paid less than 20%, and that was only the "in kind" payments of ships, rolling stock, manufacturing equipment and stocks of industrial materials, which the Allies largely got because they seized them after the war, rather than having had them willingly handed over by the Germans. Much of the High Seas Fleet was scuttled by the crews to avoid turning warships over to the Allies as reparations. The reparation schedule was arrived at by all of the Allies representatives (literally thousands of them) working in concert, and was not a revenge act by France. Not only did Germany not pay its reparations, but Austria and Hungary were forgiven their reparations debts because of economic hardship--only Bulgaria paid it's reparations, and only did so by accepting economic beggary for 20 years.

I understand that you are largely ignorant of history, and that what you spout off is the type of historical myth which is the equivalent of the news "sound bite." I would think by now, though, for as long as you've been posting here, that you would have learned to check out your facts before you spout off. Apparently not, though, as you continue to post drivel such as that.

How did you manage to ascribe, to my two sentences above, all that you wrote in this post? The point I made was what I was taught in high school. Was there a reason I was taught that? I don't know?

But, if I was taught that so that we U.S. students should not think Germany was "evil" for their aggression in WWII, I believe that would have been a viable reason.

But, what is your point? Germany was the aggressor with no rationale for their aggression?

You might be correct in that as a U.S. student, in the state I lived, I might not have been taught history as others were taught. But, as every history revisionist knows, history is in the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:41 pm
kickycan wrote:
Foofie wrote:
To reiterate: The U.S. still gets involved with wars for the benefit of other nations

Name one.

(If she says Iraq, I'm gonna spit my Pepsi all over my keyboard)

South Korea; Israel; South Vietnam; West Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, etc. (Pres. Reagan helped the Soviet Union dissolve).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:58 pm
I don't think many Vietnamese and Koreans would agree with you, foofie. Most Vietnamese would have rather died than be 'helped' by the U.S.
And Reagan helped dissolve the Soviet Union? Perhaps, even though that's an overstatement - but that is not waging war for somebody else's benefit. Remember it was the end of the Cold War? Who waged that? U.S. certainly didn't have our benefit in mind (being from Eastern Europe) when it came to nuclear arms race. Further, most of us were disappointed with the West, including the U.S. when they failed us in 1938, 1939, 1956, 1968, 1981... But those are just notes on the margin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:02 pm
History is not in the eye of any beholder. Many revisionist historians like to make such a case, because they have a vested interest in making the claim, since controversy helps to sell their books. As one of our members from several years ago once pointed out, all historians are revisionists. However, on the subject of the consequences of the Great War, there is not doubt among people who are well informed, and who don't have an agenda in describing historical events, there is no doubt that the "Versailles Diktat" and the "Stab in the Back" were both political myths exploited by gutter politicians in Germany, such as Hitler.

You managed to dredge up both in one brief passage: And if you remember WWI history, France wanted such large reparations from Germany it set the stage for the Weimar Republic inflation which was fertile soil for the Nazis to gain power. France was one of seven nations who were formally represented at the Paris Peace Conference of 1919: the United States, Great Britain, Canada, Australia, France, Italy and Japan. France did not impose terms, the terms were negotiated by all of the representatives of the Allies. Germany did not pay the reparations, so the claim that said reparations fueled inflation in the Weimar Republic is patently false. Before the German Army was ever beaten (and it was beaten in the field), the capacity of German to feed itself and sustain its industries had already collapsed. The NSDAP rose to power because of the power of the "Versailles Diktat" and the "Stab in the Back" myths, not because there was any truth in those claims. If that is actually what you read in your history text, then that text was in error, which, sadly, would not surprise me. But i rather suspect that you either did not understand fully what was being taught you, or that your teacher was retailing that false tale, which remains popular among people who think that they can glibly describe the cause of massive and complex historical events in a few choice phrases.

And that's why my answers are so long--even a simplistic description of the cause and effect of history which seeks to be as objective as possible is necessarily long--or rather appears long. I gave you the shortest of the short answers. If you would really like to know what happened after the Great War, i recommend to you Paris 1919: Six Months that Changed the World, by Mararet Macmillan, J. Murray, London, 2001 (published originally as Peacemakers)--which is the most recently, and the most comprehensive book on the Peace Conference that i have ever seen. Miss Macmillan is an historian and professor of history at Oxford University, and professor of history at the University of Toronto. This book has won several awards (at least four that i know of) for history and non-fiction publishing, and is eminently readable.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:16 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Further, most of us were disappointed with the West, including the U.S. when they failed us in 1938, 1939, 1956, 1968, 1981... But those are just notes on the margin.

Dag has got that dead to rights--1938, the occupation of Czechoslovakia by Germany; 1939, the invasion of Poland by Germany and the Soviet Union; 1956, the failed Hungarian uprising, brutally crushed by the Soviets; 1968, the "Czech Spring," when Soviet tanks crushed a popular government movement; 1981, Jaruzelski mobilizes the Polish army to crush the Solidarity movement. The west has indeed failed eastern Europe, and personally, i'd go back to Paris in 1919 on that one. I love it when the rightwingnuts claim Reagan won the Cold War . . . HEY . . . wake up, you're dreamin' . . .
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
History is not in the eye of any beholder. Many revisionist historians like to make such a case, because they have a vested interest in making the claim, since controversy helps to sell their books. As one of our members from several years ago once pointed out, all historians are revisionists. However, on the subject of the consequences of the Great War, there is not doubt among people who are well informed, and who don't have an agenda in describing historical events, there is no doubt that the "Versailles Diktat" and the "Stab in the Back" were both political myths exploited by gutter politicians in Germany, such as Hitler.

You managed to dredge up both in one brief passage: And if you remember WWI history, France wanted such large reparations from Germany it set the stage for the Weimar Republic inflation which was fertile soil for the Nazis to gain power. France was one of seven nations who were formally represented at the Paris Peace Conference of 1919: the United States, Great Britain, Canada, Australia, France, Italy and Japan. France did not impose terms, the terms were negotiated by all of the representatives of the Allies. Germany did not pay the reparations, so the claim that said reparations fueled inflation in the Weimar Republic is patently false. Before the German Army was ever beaten (and it was beaten in the field), the capacity of German to feed itself and sustain its industries had already collapsed. The NSDAP rose to power because of the power of the "Versailles Diktat" and the "Stab in the Back" myths, not because there was any truth in those claims. If that is actually what you read in your history text, then that text was in error, which, sadly, would not surprise me. But i rather suspect that you either did not understand fully what was being taught you, or that your teacher was retailing that false tale, which remains popular among people who think that they can glibly describe the cause of massive and complex historical events in a few choice phrases.

And that's why my answers are so long--even a simplistic description of the cause and effect of history which seeks to be as objective as possible is necessarily long--or rather appears long. I gave you the shortest of the short answers. If you would really like to know what happened after the Great War, i recommend to you Paris 1919: Six Months that Changed the World, by Mararet Macmillan, J. Murray, London, 2001 (published originally as Peacemakers)--which is the most recently, and the most comprehensive book on the Peace Conference that i have ever seen. Miss Macmillan is an historian and professor of history at Oxford University, and professor of history at the University of Toronto. This book has won several awards (at least four that i know of) for history and non-fiction publishing, and is eminently readable.

When I went to high school we were taught the U.S. Civil War was fought because of tariffs the North wanted to impose on imports (that the South wanted). Today it is taught that the war was fought to end slavery? Why? I'd rather not get into the possible reasons. A somewhat delicate balance of populations in the U.S.

My point is, if I was taught one thing and not another, there was a reason, and I can only conjecture.

But, when I read European history I get bored easily. So, I read U.S. history. I identify with that history. Europe, and its history, is just a story with a bad ending for me personally.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:23 pm
The United States is, to all intents and purposes, a European nation, as are all the nations of the New World, being at one time the colonies of England, France, Holland, Spain, Portugal or Sweden (Delaware). The tariff was an issue in the South, but was certainly not a proximate cause of the American Civil War--and the South was opposed to the tariff. Northerners wanted a tariff to protect their industries, and the South opposed the tariff because they wanted cheap manufactured goods from England and France, who practiced "dumping" of their goods to drive their American competitors out of the market, and because they were outrageously raping Southerners with the prices they paid for tobacco and cotton. Once again, either you weren't paying attention, or you were being fed bullshit.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
Further, most of us were disappointed with the West, including the U.S. when they failed us in 1938, 1939, 1956, 1968, 1981... But those are just notes on the margin.

Dag has got that dead to rights--1938, the occupation of Czechoslovakia by Germany; 1939, the invasion of Poland by Germany and the Soviet Union; 1956, the failed Hungarian uprising, brutally crushed by the Soviets; 1968, the "Czech Spring," when Soviet tanks crushed a popular government movement; 1981, Jaruzelski mobilizes the Polish army to crush the Solidarity movement. The west has indeed failed eastern Europe, and personally, i'd go back to Paris in 1919 on that one. I love it when the rightwingnuts claim Reagan won the Cold War . . . HEY . . . wake up, you're dreamin' . . .

What's the point here? The U.S. should have gotten involved in all instances? Didn't Britain enter the war when Poland was invaded?

Why are those who give Reagan credit for ending/winning the Cold War wrong?

Why are there so many people who are critical of the many U.S. presidents? Or rather, why is the U.S. held to a higher ethics than every other nation? Because it is more powerful? Again I ask (from another post), is the colloquial term "sour grapes" still used?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
The United States is, to all intents and purposes, a European nation, as are all the nations of the New World, being at one time the colonies of England, France, Holland, Spain, Portugal or Sweden (Delaware). The tariff was an issue in the South, but was certainly not a proximate cause of the American Civil War--and the South was opposed to the tariff. Northerners wanted a tariff to protect their industries, and the South opposed the tariff because they wanted cheap manufactured goods from England and France, who practiced "dumping" of their goods to drive their American competitors out of the market, and because they were outrageously raping Southerners with the prices they paid for tobacco and cotton. Once again, either you weren't paying attention, or you were being fed bullshit.

No, the U.S. is not a European nation, even though the majority of citizens are Caucasoidal. I say this since from the inception of the colonies, the people thought of themselves as very different than the Europe they left, or rather fled due to religious persecution. Specifically, they thought of themselves as Old Testament Christians, as opposed to most of the Europeans that were New Testament Christians. Perhaps, for this reason the early Americans did not celebrate Christmas, calling it a Popish holiday. Only with the influx of Catholic immigrants during the Industrial Revolution, and the concomitant need for assembly line workers, did Christmas gain acceptance. Today, it is a legal U.S. holiday, not a religious holiday. All may stay home and enjoy the holiday as a respite from work.

I personally believe many Europeans would like to think the U.S. is some sort of cheap knock-off of Europe with our less refined, less sophisticated ways. Perhaps, it's a soothing thought for some in Europe, so the U.S. can be envisioned as a park squirrel ready to eat out of the hands of Europe. Sorry, the U.S. is quite different. For example, when Black jazz musicians were being treated with utmost respect in Europe, especially France, they came home to the Jim Crow laws of the South, and the North had its own brand of racial prejudice.

And then let's talk about the dichotomy of how Jews historically were treated in Europe, and how they lived at peace in the U.S. since 1620 or thereabouts. Never one pogrom! No one had to love them; just never one pogrom!

So, to tell me specifically that the U.S. is to "all intents and purposes" a European nation is offensive to me. Offend me if you like, but it is offensive to me, and probably to many other people in the U.S.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 08:02 pm
foofie wrote:
caucasoidal

groovy. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 09:10 pm
Yeah, **** like that is precious . . . free, unintended humor like that--ya can't make it up.

http://www.malarze.com/obrazy/orl_wstroju.jpg

Your average well-dressed Caucasian relaxing at home.

http://static.flickr.com/25/59421162_d7cf924105_o.jpg

His wife, ready to go out shopping.

I hope Foofie is offended. Just about every jot and tittle of his drivel in this thread has been offensive, apart from displaying breathtaking ignorance.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 09:17 pm
eh Foofie you Pacific Asian Rim?

How about Caucasoidal Heinz-American, or just plain American will do.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 10:47 pm
Foofie wrote:
...Old Testament Christians...

Huh?

There was no Christ, hence no "Christians," in the Old Testament. Do you mean Jews?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 06:44 am
What you see here in the posts of foofie, folks, is the typical result of a typical American public school education -- all 'mom and apple pie' with absolutely no substance to it, laced liberally with a jingoistic streak a mile wide. This is what our kids are taught: we are the greatest nation that ever was; we never did no wrong nohow; America -- love it or leave it. A few facts are thrown in here and there, but these are slanted a certain way to put US (I mean that 'US' both ways) always on the side of right and 'freedom', whatever is meant by that word in any given instance. This type of early childhood propaganda is pernicious and, unfortunately, widespread.

In a previous post, foofie mentions Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. As a Latvian-American, let me tell you, bub, that the GOP lost a good deal of its base when the idiot father of the present idiot president refused to recognize the independence of the three Baltic nations until Gorbachev had admitted that those three were now, in fact, no longer part of the USSR (which still existed, nominally at least, at the time). The Baltic-Americans -- as well as the Poles and other 'captive nations' representatives in the USA -- had long been staunch supporters of the Republican Party because of people like Sen. Bob Dole who constantly lobbied his colleagues not to recognize the inclusion of the Baltics into the Soviet Union. In 1991, when the chance came to show some backbone, George Bush the Elder backed down. Result: Clinton was elected. If any Republicans here dislike Wee whistlin' Willie, you have no one to blame but your own man -- it was the ineptitude of the first Bush which got Clinton elected the first time, not the magnetic personality of the Arkansas traveler.

It's not your fault, of course, foofie. Most high school history teachers are as ignorant of actual history as I am of differential calculus. Frankly, I don't even know what 'differntial calculus' is.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 07:00 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Frankly, I don't even know what 'differential calculus' is.

And it doesn't make you a bad man, MA.

You, at least, acknowledge that you don't know.

But what about those who pretend to know and get the very first equation wrong?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 07:03 am
Sweetheart having been born and raised in "Red Neck Country" we never got past the Civil War in high school. Figures. I've learned more from the Gurus of A2K about "World History since the Civil War", I never knew Latvia existed until I met you .

Now whattaya want to know about Rock Chipping 101, Neanderthal lei making, primordial mud pies et al.

Happy 12th Laughing
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 07:46 am
Quote:
What you see here in the posts of foofie, folks, is the typical result of a typical American public school education -- all 'mom and apple pie' with absolutely no substance to it, laced liberally with a jingoistic streak a mile wide. This is what our kids are taught: we are the greatest nation that ever was; we never did no wrong nohow; America -- love it or leave it.

Yeah, unlike the Democrats who want this country to roll over and take the blame for every damn thing that happens.

This is why, regardless of my own party affiliation, I try to take an "independent's" approach to politics. Because their is a reason why we have two parties, and buying into either party line -- hook, line and sinker -- can lead to dogmatic thinking.

Quote:
Clinton was elected. If any Republicans here dislike Wee whistlin' Willie, you have no one to blame but your own man -- it was the ineptitude of the first Bush which got Clinton elected the first time, not the magnetic personality of the Arkansas traveler.

So what got the current George Bush elected (not once, but twice)?

Go ahead -- let's hear the usual "all the rednecks in the South and Midwest finally their act together and voted him in" comments. Of course, it's only in the Northeast where people are sufficiently intellectually enlightened and noble to consistently vote the Democratic ticket.

What a big load. There are just as many sheep -- blindly following the fold -- in the northeast as anywhere else.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 09:06 am
What got Bush Baby elected StrayCat?

OIL MONEY
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 10:57 am
Actually, the Shrub got fewer votes than Gore the first time around, and won Florida by fewer that 1000 votes--it was later revealed that thousands of Floridians (almost exclusively blacks) had been removed from the voting rolls as convicted felons on information from a privately contracted corporation. The Republican Secretary of State (who is now the Republican Representative for a House district in Florida) had contracted with that company, at the time she was the co-chair of Bush's campaign committee in Florida. Of those thousands of disqualified voters, it transpired upon later investigation that more than 90% were not and never had been felons. The voting fiasco in Ohio in 2004, as well as in many other states, was an embarrassment to a civilized nation. I had to stand in line for more than three hours to vote, and try to explain over a cell phone to my Boss why i would miss the entire morning. The chairman of Deibold, who manufactures voting machines in Ohio, sent a memorandum to Bush supporters on company letterhead, guaranteeing that Deibold would deliver Ohio for Bush in 2004.

What got Bush elected and then re-elected? It doesn't bear close examination.
0 Replies