Need Electrical Advice for European Machinery/Equipment to be used in the USA

Wed 13 Sep, 2017 10:23 pm
I have multiple industrial equipment brought over from Italy that still has it's original electrical plugs and needs some type of converter in order to work with USA currents. I believe that the converter need would vary on the requirements of the machinery's needs but I am not entirely positive.

We want to sell this equipment but know that finding a solution to this problem is imperative to that happening.

I am hoping to find an expert in the field that is willing to share their knowledge and help me solve my dilema.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,606 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 05:48 pm
@misshapp,
Hap, that sure as hell isn't me; tho we have some real experts like Eng, Cen, Man, Oss

Then of course there's Google
dalehileman

Thu 14 Sep, 2017 06:40 pm
@dalehileman,
Guys, wher'ya
0 Replies

cameronleon

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 09:37 pm
@misshapp,
What "dilema"?

If you are talking of industrial equipment, there won't be any problem, because the company will run the proper conduit and wiring required for the machine.

If you are selling house appliances, then, if those are 220v it will be required a transformer to 110v or running a dedicate 220 v circuit inside the house.

Paultaylor1235

Mon 9 Oct, 2017 03:39 am
@misshapp,
You must research about the top electrician near you on the internet.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 10 Oct, 2017 11:34 am
@cameronleon,
Quote:
the company will run the proper conduit
Cam if you reread the PO, I think you will find Happ has some Italian equipment on hand that he'd like to sell over here, be he needs some assistance finding the appropriate sort of converter to sell along with it so that it will work on our kinda voltages, etc

I'd suppose he'd also need adapters for all the plugs and sockets
cameronleon

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 07:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Cam if you reread the PO, I think you will find Happ has some Italian equipment on hand that he'd like to sell over here, be he needs some assistance finding the appropriate sort of converter to sell along with it so that it will work on our kinda voltages, etc

I'd suppose he'd also need adapters for all the plugs and sockets

You are correct in your last sentence.

When a company wants to install equipment of such magnitude, the company must hire the electrician or electric company for the installation, unless the seller is also the installer, something that for sure is not the case with this seller. The electrician must consult with the manual and if no information is given for use in systems with different voltage, then it is a must consulting with the manufacturer.

Three phase installation in Italy is 400v- 50hz

In the US is 220v, 240v, 277v, 480v-60Hz

Numbers of wires in Italy is four (4)while in the US could be three or four (3-4)wires, plus ground in both cases.

The seller must check with the manufacturer of the machine, and they will find the proper transformer and adapter to be used in the US. No other can provide that information with certainty, because the transformer must consider tolerances that if not taken in consideration can cause problems like overheating and similar. The manufacturer is in my opinion, the most adequate source of information in this case.

Examples of difference with 220v plugs.

USA receptacle (one of the models)

http://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Wfd7Z7aFt86UlYpkLQUGIwCkF8&w=230&h=170

European plug and receptacle

http://www.worldstandards.eu/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/electricity-tiles-type-D-200-px.jpg
CalamityJane

Fri 13 Oct, 2017 08:24 pm
@cameronleon,
Yes, you're right!
When I got my European washing machine installed, they had an electrician come out who changed the plug to a European one and installed an additional circuit too.
0 Replies