NSFW (view)
panzade

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 01:51 pm
@Natasha111,
Don't hold back Natasha!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 01:59 pm
I guess the fact that Roger is not Italian doesn't matter here, huh? He is right about the entertainment value.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 02:03 pm
@Setanta,
Natasha is a flaming figment.

I'm not italian either, but I'm a known phile.

There, there, Roger. I owe you lunch at Vivace. (Your other choice is an asian restaurant).
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 02:38 pm
@Foofie,
Have been rereading this thread.
Yes, it's me with the occasional thumbs. Others welcome on a2k to thumb otherwise, natch.
I'm the reactive type, so I did that some.
Gads, I miss Francis.

I pick this post as the winner of the Obtuse Bowl.
http://able2know.org/topic/100385-8#post-2880249

thread quoted dag -
dagmaraka wrote:
i'm not sure, foofie. there is plenty of americans who are well versed in history. i am perfectly ignorant of chemistry and i doubt that if i started telling american chemists my theories and speculations i would be educating them about how some slovaks know little to nothing about chemistry... i would just make a fool out of myself, that's all.

Why do you keep calling yourself a Slovak? You don't have U.S. citizenship? It's none of my business, but you write English so well, I was assuming you may have been born there, but you are now an American, having come here as a child. Or, are you "clinging" to an ethnic identity like so many Easterners?

Don't believe me, but many Americans have no interest in history, and what they do know is that America was on the winning side of WWI and WWII; the U.S. lost in Vietnam, and they aren't sure what happened in Korea.

But, I don't believe/trust many Europeans (or the U.S. liberals that side with them) since I saw the photo of the sign over the entrance: Arbeit Macht Frei. Get it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 02:45 pm
@epenthesis,
That was NOT my opinion, I was quoting Foofie.

I know that post quote of a quote was a long time ago, but you have misquoted me badly.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 11:59 am
@Urban89,
Um....that wasn't Roger who said that. He was quoting Chiller27's post.

But, thanks for playing. You've won the door prize. Just walk through that door over there to claim it.

And don't let it hit you in the backside on the way out.
0 Replies

ItalianGirl

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 08:14 am
Wow I read some page in this topic and I'm disgusted.
Just to let you know, NOT ALL ITALIANS ARE THE SAME, like people in the rest of the world. Everyone is different and thinks with his own brain.

This is just prejudice.

I personally don't hate anyone, I have internet friends all over the world.
You are just stupid if you hate a whole nation because of some people who live in it.
Foofie

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 09:44 pm
@ItalianGirl,
ItalianGirl wrote:

Wow I read some page in this topic and I'm disgusted.
Just to let you know, NOT ALL ITALIANS ARE THE SAME, like people in the rest of the world. Everyone is different and thinks with his own brain.

This is just prejudice.

I personally don't hate anyone, I have internet friends all over the world.
You are just stupid if you hate a whole nation because of some people who live in it.

Yes, we are all unique; however, there are some people that give Italians positive stereotypical traits, rather than negative stereotypical traits. Like many Italians, formally educated or not, seem to oftentimes have an understanding of history, more than the average person, in my opinion.
0 Replies

katie520

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 03:39 pm
I hate to agree, but sometimes I just can't stand living here. I've lived in Italy for 5 years (yes I am looking for jobs elsewhere). I thought the people would warm up and be more polite in general. But there is this underlying unhappiness, this sleeping rage just waiting to be poured out on anyone, especially foreigners. I've learned to keep my dreams and hopes to myself. Every time I voice my thoughts I am met with negativism, criticism uggh .. an overall emotionally immature and disabled environment. This country needs some spirit. What a rich amazing history. Now it's only a monument to the past. When foreign friends come to visit and ask me why the social environment is so weird and people are so rude, I tell them to pretend they are from the future and have come back to a 1950's (overt sexism and inequality). They tell me the advice really works and helps them to feel less uncomfortable. I hope this country will improve now that the political scene is finally changing.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 03:43 pm
@katie520,
Quote:
an overall emotionally immature and disabled environment.

Italy is intensely dysfunctional. where this error came from idk, as i have never had enough interest to investigate.
katie520

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 04:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think the Italians are very well educated. They're too well educated!! The elementary schools here are incredible in comparison with other countries. However this high degree of competition and criticism from such a young age breeds arrogance and conformity. If anyone steps out of line in any respect, from not putting their pencils back in the correct order or answering their math problem in a technically correct but different way, there is a harsh reaction. So much criticism and finger wagging from every direction "non si deve fare...". Uggh if I had a euro for every time I heard that phrase.. The arrogance and critical attitude only paralyze them into non-action. Sitting on the sidelines of life breeds bitterness and resentment especially to people who are going for their dreams and passions, successful or not. Instead of encouraging innovative and diverse thinking, people are snubbed and brutally marginalized. I do believe they have so much potential! I miss the naive go for it gung ho you can do it attitude I grew up with in the States. That pioneer mindset that you can start from anywhere and do anything if you really have passion and work hard. From the pep rallies to the school assemblies, to the loving teachers etc etc. It's that communal love and spirit that's missing.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 04:42 pm
@katie520,
Quote:
It's that communal love and spirit that's missing.

maybe, but from what i have seen it is too many generations living off of credit rather than the proceeds of work that is to blame. there is rot a that sets in when life is too easy, which we see in america as well. i think what you point to is a harsh retaliation towards anyone who might upset the gravy train, but the train is ending anyways. the debts still need to be paid though, and Italians have no way to do it.

i think what you see is the current generations desperation to delay the day of reckoning until after they are gone. it is basic irresponsibility.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:09 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Natasha is a flaming figment.

I'm not italian either, but I'm a known phile.

There, there, Roger. I owe you lunch at Vivace. (Your other choice is an asian restaurant).

OMG! An invitation to Vivace and it expired almost a year ago. Sad
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:22 pm
@roger,
Yeah!

Oh, on italian youth - jobs are thin on the ground (or so I've read).
katie520

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:17 am
@ossobuco,
very thin and crappy!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:03 pm
@katie520,
Sad reading there Katie. I had the same experience back in the 70's though I only spent a year in Firenze.

Maybe a female p.m. will shake things up.
0 Replies

fhnei

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:55 am
@iwillwin,
Are you crazy? The italian are awesome. Think about Leonardo DaVinci, Marconi, Galileo and Colombo, they changed the world, but you don't know that, becouse you are so stupid, you think the Ancient Rome were 2 centuries ago... I have to tell you something dude: you are ignorant, you must know the topic before open your mouth. I went in Italy and i believe it is the second best country in the world for his history and friendly peaple.
0 Replies

altro

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 05:57 pm
Rome was not sacked by the Huns,,,it was sacked by the Goths. So go back to school.

Also, I am Italian. And let me tell you how I feel....

EVERY TIME I GET UP IN THE MORNING I PINCH MYSELF KNOWING I COME FROM THE BEST NATIONALITY AND TRIBES OF PEOPLE ON THE PLANET. I would beg God to make me Italian--again. If you're a historian with any common sense you will realize that NO SINGLE GATHERING OF TRIBAL CONTRIBUTION to the World and progression of man and civilization has been as consistent, influential, and extensive as the italian diaspora. Rome is the tip of the iceberg....it is so much more ridiculous than that. I have literally seen MC's from Ireland or Indians from Pakistan think their ass was number one until they visited Tuscany or Amalfi or Venice, or Naples or Florence, or Capri or Sorrento, or Pompeii, or Portofino or, or or....it's endless..... I know because I have traveled the World and Italy is the Best. Period. If you think otherwise ask Robin Leech from Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous "Why did you pick Italy to retire Robin?" You go there today and it's Germans and English buying up evrything to move and retire...where else? ITALY !!!!

Italians for the mos part are Narcissists. DON'T BE FOOLED. They believe anything and everything that is made or come from Italy is the best of the best the best including other Italians. A lot of truth to that...Tell me one thing that comes from Italy whether machine, car, clothing, food, art or music that's garbage...anything.

Watch the Superbowl next weekend? See the gladiatorus fight in a game of rugby that was a Roman Infantry pastime in the tented towns f Londonium or Bostonium? How about the Stadium. Looks like a Colloseum to me. How about the English langauge. Heck I just wrote three Latin words in that sentence alone. I mean KID, the list is so endless,that you could be the most arrogant pric on the Planet in any setting and people will still love you knowing you add some value to the country from being a brick layer to a nuclear physicist. The Bottom Line___get over it. YOU ARE ONE _EFIN LUCKY MOFO. You have no idea how lucky you are...A lot of people out there would love to trade your skin, they just won't admit it. That, you can take to the bank.

I hoep some of this sunk in kid. I really do...that is after all these years you finally grew up and decided to reflect on this whacko immature blog.
0 Replies