Why I hate Italians

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:06 pm
Sglass wrote:
Sounds like you need a kibbutz for two Foofie. Get it.

I'm not Israeli; why would I need a kibbutz? I don't get it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:09 pm
My point is, intelligence does correlate to educational level and to what school (university) one went to.

You think so?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:18 pm
so you cannot tell if somebody's intelligent or not, or recounting facts instead of fiction unless you see their diploma?

our family's best friend did not finish high school. he's one of the best writers under the sun.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:29 pm
ossobuco wrote:
My point is, intelligence does correlate to educational level and to what school (university) one went to.

You think so?

For the most part. There are a few Rennaissance people around that are self-taught; I believe they are few and far between.

But, I'm also thinking I see a correlation that I saw elsewhere, that there is a natural rapport between city people and a natural rapport between rural people. It also makes for an antagonism, based on the same criteria.

I'm a city person and I suspect that those that have a problem with my opinions are more often than not, not city people. I could be wrong, but city people have had to learn to live with all sorts of people, from all sorts of backgrounds, with all sorts of opinions. I don't get angry at anyone's opinion, since as a city person, I learned at an early age, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But, there have been some reactions to my opinions. In my humble opinion, that correlates many times to small town mindsets. If I was religious, I'd pray they get to move to a big city, if my conjecture is correct. But, then again, they might not like a city with its amazing diversity?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:33 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
so you cannot tell if somebody's intelligent or not, or recounting facts instead of fiction unless you see their diploma?

our family's best friend did not finish high school. he's one of the best writers under the sun.

You proved your point with a sample size of one!

Sure I can tell if someone is, or isn't intelligent. And, the bellcurve has most people in the middle with average intelligence. The bellcurve exists in cyberspace too.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:47 pm
education is about education. intelligence is about intelligence. they are not interchangeable.

plenty of dumb people came out of yale. plenty of smart people never studied.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:25 pm
"I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick 'Americans' as their mascot."

Jack Handey

In other words...book mark.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 04:29 am
dagmaraka wrote:
education is about education. intelligence is about intelligence. they are not interchangeable.

I agree with you Dag %100.
0 Replies

epenthesis

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 04:54 am
ossobuco wrote:

School to which one went, what?
Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 10:33 am
dagmaraka wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

Nyet!

There are different types of intelligence.

Our educational system is a race. The fast learners move ahead. The slower learners don't. Educational theory believes that a Neanderthal man can be taught to be a brain surgeon if enough time was given to teach him.

Intelligence without education, I believe, is like a computer's cpu with a lot of memory space, but no software. The computer does very little. Like all those children of immigrants, whose parents were without education, and lived simple lives, and the children became doctors, scientists, etc.

Regardless, since this is a country with opportunity for fast learners (aka intelligent), education often correlates to intelligence. Naturally, there are those who have intelligence, read and educate themselves, but prefer not to pursue degrees, etc.

But, maybe I can't tell who's intelligent. That would be a backhanded compliment to myself that I can judge someone's intelligence, implying that I am intelligent enough to judge. I only have my own hunches, fraught with my own biases.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 10:44 am
sure they correlate, they still are not interchangeable. the fact that immigrant's parents lived simple lives without education does not make them unintelligent. only uneducated. what are you disagreeing with exactly?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 10:58 am
dagmaraka wrote:
sure they correlate, they still are not interchangeable. the fact that immigrant's parents lived simple lives without education does not make them unintelligent. only uneducated. what are you disagreeing with exactly?

That listening to the opinion of an intelligent person, who does not have education, formal or informal, is like having a computer with a lot of memory space but no software inside the cpu. Of little value.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:08 am
Well, that we will disagree about. Life experience is not useless. I have learned as much if not more about life from the elders in my grandmothers village, or from farmers in Cambodia, or refugees from Bosnia and Herzegovina, etc. - who were all uneducated - than I have from a PhD program in political science . There's wisdom anywhere you care to look. The deciphering is up to you. The fact that somebody can spew complicated words a lay person cannot understand does not make him/her intelligent. As you posted before - even a Neanderthal man can get education. But not intelligence.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:09 am
Foofie wrote:
That listening to the opinion of an intelligent person, who does not have education, formal or informal, is like having a computer with a lot of memory space but no software inside the cpu. Of little value.

According to the education you have shown here, I poorly value, not only your software, but also the motherboard, the processor, the hard drive, and the Ram..

However it seems that the sound system has a booster..
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:16 am
Francis wrote:
Foofie wrote:

According to the education you have shown here, I poorly value, not only your software, but also the motherboard, the processor, the hard drive, and the Ram..

However it seems that the sound system has a booster..

Voila! A sense of humor.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:17 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Well, that we will disagree about. Life experience is not useless. I have learned as much if not more about life from the elders in my grandmothers village, or from farmers in Cambodia, or refugees from Bosnia and Herzegovina, etc. - who were all uneducated - than I have from a PhD program in political science . There's wisdom anywhere you care to look. The deciphering is up to you. The fact that somebody can spew complicated words a lay person cannot understand does not make him/her intelligent. As you posted before - even a Neanderthal man can get education. But not intelligence.

I said formal or informal education.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:22 am
formal and informal education what? you were talking about how intelligence and education are correlated - feel free to go back and read what you wrote.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 08:32 am
Foofie, where are you?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 11:02 am
What is "informal education" anyway if not life experience or learning on the job?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 11:10 am
Yeah, how about that Horatio Alger "pull yourself up by the bootstraps ploy?"
0 Replies