The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

PhoebeKate

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 11:42 pm
The last movie I intentionally watched and sat through was Love Actually (2003) on dvd. I usually don't read movie reviews before watching films so I can form my own opinion. This one pleasantly surprised me, even touched me. Because after watching, I decided to take that family weekend trip that I was forever putting off. The airport was chaotic but we had a blast! Smile
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:56 am
I watched "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401383/
A really remarkable French film based on a memoir that was itself a remarkable real life triumph of human consciousness and imagination. Not an easy story to tell, or to capture on film. Very moving and exceptionally well done by all involved.
vinsan

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:58 am
@firefly,
Pan's Labyrinth... beautiful!
jim1987

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 05:31 am
The last movie I saw in DVD is The Reader.Its really a great movie and Kate Winslet was just great in this movie.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 08:35 am
@vinsan,
Pan's Labyrinth is a terrific movie. Two women friends saw it in theatrical release and thought it was violent. I don't think American audiences were prepared for the movie actually having been about Franco's Spain. My daughter teaches Spanish and shows the movie along with the excellent Butterfly (entitled Tongue of the Butterfly in Spanish).
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 10:59 pm
Tristram Shandy. It got such good reviews when it was in theatrical release. No, I never read the novel. YEah, I get what they were doing with it. But, I didn't find it funny.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 10:03 am
We watched Black Swan -- it was my turn to pick. Oof. To make up for it, I've given Mr.Irish the next 3 picks in a row.
djjd62

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 10:09 am
@Irishk,
without really knowing anything about it, the black swan went on my list of never see movies (the list is basically titanic, most feel good films (especially if they star jennifer aniston and sandra bullock), and any adam sandler film)
Irishk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 10:12 am
@djjd62,
I've heard Mr.Irish mention that if you want to clear a room of males quickly, all you have to do is slip Titanic into the DVD player Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 08:05 pm
@djjd62,
I detested Titanic. And you are right about anniston and bullock.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:21 pm
Just saw the two part season ender for the TV show "Community"---'Fistfull of Paintballs'---outstanding situation comedy, so far the best of the tens.

http://www.nbc.com/community/

Rap
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 01:57 pm
I'd recommend "TRACKER" starring Ray Winstone and Temuera Morrison.
An ex-Boer war guerrilla in New Zealand is sent out to bring back a Maori accused of killing a British soldier. Gradually they grow to know and respect one another but a posse, led by the British Commanding officer is close behind and his sole intention is to see the Maori hang.
It's not a bad movie.
 http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdF5ECwT3pxPIrAdbJx1_0n0m-WA-oHaDHkrJXNCW_1_bvRnQyCQ
plainoldme

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 11:32 am
A remake of The Importance of Being Earnest with Rupert Everett, Colin Firth, frances O'Connor, Reese Witherspoon, Judi Dench, Anna Massey and Tom Wilkinson.

Beautiful costumes. The play itself creaks. I remember liking the old
version with Michael Redgrave but I had to have seen that more than 30 years ago. The trouble with the film is the lead actors were too old, in both versions. Both Firth and Everett looked their ages and although Frances O'Connor is beautiful, neither she nor Reese Witherspoon looked 18. I also
find Witherspoon unattractive in the extreme.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 02:47 pm
Can those of you who've seen it give me your impressions of The Social Network? I've avoided watching it for a long while because I thought the subject matter would just not be entertaining to me, but we've rented it now, and I'd like to know if any of you think it's any good.
Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:17 pm
@snood,
I can't say much about my opinion anymore...ha...I used to be more discriminating. Now, it seems I'm a pushover. I really liked The Social Network. I laughed at Zuckerberg's eccentricities, (just like my guy - always in the sandals) I hated how he treated one of his seminal partners...loved how he stuck it to the twins (you'll see)... I kept changing my mind about the kid - and at the end of my experience, I thought - I really like this movie - and this kid - and the experience. We don't all come with easily identifiable, cookie cutter moralities. I hope you like it.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 11:51 pm
Just finished the Glenn Close/ John Malkovich/ Michelle Pfeiffer version of Dangerous Liaisons. Keanu Reeves was as bad in it as he has been in anything else.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 11:14 am
@Lash,
I really liked The social Network a lot. I tried to watch it with no expectations, and was very pleasantly described by the smart dialogue that grabs you right from the opening scene with Zuckerman bumbling his way into a biting rejection from the girl in the bar.
I have no problem with not seeing everyone in terms of black or white, "cookie-cutter morality", since I happen to think it's true that people are never all bad or all good anyway.
I have no idea how he is in real life, but the Zuckerman we saw portrayed in this movie had a serious emotional problem that was summed up pretty well in the comment made by the legal associate at the end: "You're not an asshole, Mark. You're just trying so hard to be."
I really enjoyed the movie. Made me think, in a bunch of different ways...
Irishk

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 11:18 am
@snood,
We liked it a lot, too. Not sure what I was expecting, but it was a happy surprise that it was more enjoyable than I'd anticipated.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 11:34 pm
@snood,
....(smiling). Yeah.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 11:08 pm
Netflix aficianados, try Gigantic. The Nietzsche brother in Little Miss Sunshine, looking quite different with brown hair leads a quirky, cool movie with one of my favorite actresses, Zooey Deschanel, and John Goodman. We just watched him in another movie, Extra Man. Love to hear any feedback from any of these... The guy's name is Paul Dano. One thing I like about my favorite actors is not only what they do with a role - but the movies they choose.

Denzel has always been my favorite. Dano; coming in on the outside.
0 Replies