monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

wmwcjr

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 03:06 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Blatham is a crypto Nazi.

Pure nonsense. Georgeob1 is guilty of self-projection and self-righteous hypocrisy.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 03:13 pm
@georgeob1,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
McGentrix

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 03:14 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Please don't compare people to Nazi's. No one is a Nazi anymore as they were a terrible, terrible pox upon humanity. Blatham has strong opinions about things we disagree with but that hardly constitutes being called a Nazi.
ossobucotemp

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 03:30 pm
@wmwcjr,
Hi, Wm.

I've noticed georgeob1 get more and more strident, vituperative, and so on, but I see it as a change. I used to semi-not quite like him for both personal and political reasons (but other friends did) as he was observably less like now for some years before.

As you understand already, lots of people on here are more vituperative: these are odd times, at least for a lot of us. I'm not pure either, but I try to hold it down.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 03:35 pm
@McGentrix,
Here is the context of what I wrote;
Quote:
In many ways it all comes down to the 'group values', to which Layman so eloquently referred. The problem, of course, is that if you presume to be able or empowered to make group judgments, you can also make group punishments and all that follows. That of course was a hallmark of Nazism and Marxim, and it led to mass extermination of Jews, Ukranian pesants and Chinese landowners.

I perhaps should have written " in applying these group values Blatham is adopting precisely the same categorical grup values as the Nazis used to rationalize their extermination of Jews, Gypsys, Poles and other 'untermensch' "
However, in the context I think that was pretty clear. You can quit hyperventillating now.
old europe

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:15 pm
@georgeob1,
Everyone makes group judgments. I certainly do.

You, George, definitely seem to presume yourself able to make group judgments when you speak, with some ex cathedra authority, about Americans, or Canadians, or Europeans, or liberals, or conservatives, or Trump voters.

It's of course completely preposterous to argue that you're therefore adopting precisely the same categorical group values used by the Nazis used to ideologically rationalize the extermination of millions of people.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:30 pm
@McGentrix,
How about crypto-fascist?

0 Replies

layman

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Is there some historical point you fellas can indicate where speaking of racial injustices flipped from helpful to unhelpful? Would that be nationwide?

... ought this one to include the voices of those of us who aren't white?

You lookin for input from blacks on the important issues they have in America? Here's one example (of many) where the "prejudice" problems are put in their proper perspective. Jason Whitlock is far from being some "right winger." You could also look at the video I already posted by the former Black Panther who severely criticized John Lewis for a "black perspective."

0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:35 pm
@old europe,
Observations and opinions about some characteristics or central tendencies of some such groups are one thing, judging the character or worh of an individual person or his/her status with respect to government judicial or other action is quite another.

While you may have failed to notice it, this was all in the contest of a discussion with Blatham that directly related to the making of categorical government judgments & policies based on group, not individual identity.

I don't make ex cathedra statements of any kind, and I don't make judgments about individuals based on group identity. (Though I do find the Gologists who work for me to be, as a rule a bit more irritable and difficult than the Engineers and others.)
layman

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:36 pm
@blatham,
Here's another:

0 Replies

old europe

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:56 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Observations and opinions about some characteristics or central tendencies of some such groups are one thing, judging the character or worh of an individual person or his/her status with respect to government judicial or other action is quite another.

While you may have failed to notice it, this was all in the contest of a discussion with Blatham that directly related to the making of categorical government judgments & policies based on group, not individual identity.

How would you propose to have a functioning government that makes policies based on individual identity, George?

Do you propose to do away with "categorical government policies" based on age group, like regulations about child labor, or gambling, or drinking, or driving, or buying guns, or enlisting? Because categorical government policies based on group are crypto-Nazism?

georgeob1 wrote:
I don't make ex cathedra statements of any kind

This one made laugh! Thanks, George!
cicerone imposter

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:20 pm
Back to the OP.
I don't respect Trump for his history of bigotry, lies and scamming so many people, but I don't know if he will be a good president or not. He's a thin skinned narcissist that reacts to every little insult against him which shows his immaturity.
Unfortunately, Trump suffers from the lowest approval rating for a president elect who hasn't even taken office, and it seems to go downward every time he speaks or doesn't.
I wonder if he'll enjoy a short honeymoon period after he takes office?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:20 pm
Now and again, a brief pop-in to this place nets you a gem

Quote:

Quote:
georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:59 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

How would you propose to have a functioning government that makes policies based on individual identity, George?

Do you propose to do away with "categorical government policies" based on age group, like regulations about child labor, or gambling, or drinking, or driving, or buying guns, or enlisting? Because categorical government policies based on group are crypto-Nazism?

The practical necessity for setting age limits for working. drinking, buying a gun, or serving in the armed forces, or even for preventing blind people from driving a vehicle, is not a sufficient rationale for the wholesale use of group identities for making government policy - as it appears you are inferring. That was the issue being discussed.

Such actions open vast opportunities for government overreach. Our Constitution is deliberately prescriptive about the the specified powers of the Federal government for precisely this reason, and it is equally specific, in the Bill of Rights of individual people with respect to all government bodies, local or Federal.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:05 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Now and again, a brief pop-in to this place nets you a gem
Quote:

Quote:

Well I just asked one of my senior employees if I make such statements.

The bastard agreed with you.
cicerone imposter

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:28 pm
@georgeob1,
Kudos.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:34 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

layman wrote:

If the desired end of eliminating "racism" would be the establishment of an atmosphere and culture where skin color is irrelevant and never even mentioned or thought of in terms of social interactions, and such, then that goal will NEVER be attained with the Blathys of the world running around.

These race-baiters try to reduce every conversation to racial differences. They EMPHASIZE such differences as they may imagine to exist 24/7.

Exactly !!

The cure for racism is most certainly not more of it. The cure begins with the prevasive choice, by individuals and government alike, to, as Martin Luther King put it, judge others by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. ( indeed, given the variety of shades and colorations out there, that appears to be a comically meaningless and hopeless task anyway)

George, when you see data that shows that a) black people are more likely to get harsher prison sentences than white people for same/similar crimes, or b) white sounding names like Tanner are more likely to get job interviews than black sounding names like Shaquille even when the resumes are letter for letter identical ..... well, what do you purpose the nation should try to do about that?

Gosh, I was really hoping to have a discussion about this as opposed to the dick measuring contests going on.
RABEL222

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:15 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Let me send off a letter to Bibi Netanyahu and I'll let you know his answer.

When you send that letter you might inquire when he is going to remove his storm troopers from Palistain and give them back their country.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:23 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
They have the money, the lobbyists, the marketing people, the capacity to fund campaigns to a level that citizens cannot compete with, etc.

Puts me in mind of those stupid Indians complaining about oil in their drinking water. Anyone knows oil improves the taste of drinking water.
RABEL222

Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
We should never forget this dark period of the German history,

Too bad Israel dosent ponder this history also.