Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

revelette2

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 10:42 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I mean, if you were a liberal vampire type what would you do?

Be an equal opportunity vampire?

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 02:37 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
But, they both seem to have a desire to protect the American people from threats. I think that is a plus for both.

That's code for they are both hate-filled bigots using fear mongering to gain power. I don't see that as a plus for Cruz, Trump or Netanyahu.

Netanyahu is running for President? who knew?

How do they deserve to be called "both hate-filled bigots"? They are only concerned about the fears of the American people? You must know something that others do not know?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 02:55 pm
It doesn't matter because presidents (most are psychopaths!) are not
Elected but Selected by bloodline!

It is all one Big Stupid Family! Inbreeding!

It is disgusting!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 03:04 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

They are only concerned about the fears of the American people?

If they were concerned about the fears of the American people, they would spell out what fears of realistic and what fears were not, propose reasonable actions on the realistic fears and attempt to diffuse the irrational ones. What we have seen so far, especially from Trump is amping up the irrational ones, pumping up the fear level to get votes. You might argue that they aren't hate filled bigots, just completely unscrupulous politicians who are appealing to hate filled bigots or that they are hate filled bigots themselves. Either way, it's not a pretty picture.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 05:21 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
How do they deserve to be called "both hate-filled bigots"? They are only concerned about the fears of the American people? You must know something that others do not know?

That's how hate-filled bigots always work, Foofie. Every hate-filled bigot is concerned about the fears of the American people, or the German people, or the Israeli people or whatever people he is appealing to.

Name a hate-filled bigot in history that wasn't primarily concerned about the fears of the American people (or whatever group applied at the time).

Trump and Netanyahu both fit this pattern.
Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 07:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

That's how hate-filled bigots always work, Foofie. Every hate-filled bigot is concerned about the fears of the American people, or the German people, or the Israeli people or whatever people he is appealing to.

Name a hate-filled bigot in history that wasn't primarily concerned about the fears of the American people (or whatever group applied at the time).

Trump and Netanyahu both fit this pattern.

I don't assume that those that want to appeal to the fears of a populace are motivated always by authentic hate. If orgasms can be faked, so can hate.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 07:48 pm
Hillary Rodham Clinton.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 12:16 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't think you understand the audience, Frank. The people who will be voting in the GOP primary like that about Trump.

I don't think you understand anything more about Republicans than what your partisan prejudice tells you.

There are more republicans who don't support Trump than do. Yes, the people who will vote for Trump in the primary like his antics, but they are not even the majority of those who will vote.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dear-media-stop-freaking-out-about-donald-trumps-polls/

Right now Marco Rubio is the favorite at Betfair, and that probably means more than all the other signs and analysis.

Trump is a buffoon and a fair number of his supporters like him for his buffoonery but I would say an equal amount like him because he is "up yours" personified to PC liberals, the media and Republicans who talk a good game but who have not done anything to advance a conservative agenda since they were given the House and the Senate.

When push comes to shove, a lot of these people are not going to vote for Trump. Either because they can't imagine a president with his antics or because they don't think he can win in a general election. For now though they enjoy watching him stir the ****.

But should he win the primary and by some miracle he wins the general election he'll find that all of his bombast and antics (if he even continues them) will not do him any good. He's not quite the imbecile a lot of people make him out to be.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 12:19 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

As usual I didn't watch it, did read a few headlines. He got booed by some (which I found surprising given the audience, guess there was some Paul Ryan supporters there) when he mentioned shutting down the internet, or parts of it. Would such a thing possible world wide?

See my comments to Max.

Just a few questions for you: Do you think every Democrat in American wants Bernie Sanders to be president? Do you think they even all want Clinton as president? Have you ever read the Wall Street Journal, National Review or the Weekly Standard?

"Given the audience" - Who do you think were sitting in those seats?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 12:24 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
But, they both seem to have a desire to protect the American people from threats. I think that is a plus for both.

That's code for they are both hate-filled bigots using fear mongering to gain power. I don't see that as a plus for Cruz, Trump or Netanyahu.

Netanyahu is running for President? who knew?

This is just Max's naked partisanship on display.

If Obama and Clinton said the exact same thing he would interpret it as sincere care for the country and its citizens. After all, in their case the threat they seek to protect the country from is the Republican Party.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 12:48 am
@engineer,
Muslims attack and murder innocents in Paris. Muslims attack and kill innocents in San Bernadino, and this is only two of the latest such attacks (for all I know I missed one that happened someplace in Africa). And this is right after our Commander in Chief tells us that ISIS is contained and that Global Warming is a bigger threat than terrorism.

Just this week the entire LA school district was shut down because of a terrorist threat. I'm not sure how they determined it was fraudulent (did they catch the person making it) Or was the action enough to forestall an attack? Either way the fact is that it was very possible for such a threat to have been real and if an attack had taken place, how many Americans would have been shocked?

Yes, of course your odds of being killed by a terrorist are very slim, but when it can happen anywhere and at any time, and you no longer trust the government to keep you safe, there is bound to be fear an anxiety. You can tell people all day long that it's irrational, but it's not.

The fear and anxiety people feel when they get up every day is not based on a probability calculation. It might be great if it were so, but clearly it is not.

If you are going to tell everyone everything is fine, everything is under control, you have nothing to worry about then you had better do a good job proving this to be the case. A lot better than our current leaders are doing.

Of course the government can't stop every terrorist attack, and leaders should not be telling everyone not to set foot outside their doors, but even Trump isn't doing that.

We're told that we are xenophobes, racist or scared rabbits if we don't want 10,000 Syrian refugees allowed into the country. At the same time the Director of the FBI is telling us the government can't properly vet all the refugees that would be allowed in. Even worse we find that our government is so goddamned PC that it won't let it's agencies check the Facebook pages of prospective immigrants because they're worried about "civil rights groups" (Read unindicted co-conspirator CAIR) and "bad press" (Read NY Times). The woman who helped her husband kill 14 and wound 17 Americans in California made her sentiments clear on Facebook. Could the slaughter have been stopped if a government worker wasn't prohibited from doing something that I'm pretty sure most Americans assumed was being done? We'll never know, but is there any wonder that a large segment of the population doesn't trust our government to keep them safe?

Until the FBI Director goes before congress and tells them we can properly vet 10,000 Syrian refugees, we shouldn't let any in, and that's not irrational, it's common sense.
AllBunk

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 02:13 am
it doesn't matter who the president is.

It will be just a puppet on a string.

People re talking about which puppet.

It is hilarious!
roger

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 03:00 am
@AllBunk,
Hardly worth a comment, is it?
AllBunk

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 03:16 am
@roger,
Quote:
Hardly worth a comment, is it?

Really? And why is that?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Yes, of course your odds of being killed by a pencil are very slim, but when it can happen anywhere and at any time, and you no longer trust the government to keep you safe, there is bound to be fear an anxiety. You can tell people all day long that it's irrational, but it's not.

How is it not irrational, Finn? What ridiculous lengths to protect people from something that kills less than 12 people a year on average year would make it irrational.

Anyone who is terrified of terrorism which kills a handful of people in any year except for 2001 where it killed 3,500, and is not terrified of the flu which kills 4,000 every single year including 2001, is being irrational.

If you are willing to keep out Muslims, but you aren't willing to get a flu shot... you are being irrational.

It is true... on most years there are more people in the US killed by pencils (about 100) than killed by terrorists. When I hear a Republican candidate try to ban pencils, that will be a step toward them being rational.

0 Replies

AllBunk

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:10 am
Even a 12 year old girl can find out that they are all related ,the presidents
One big giant inbreeding family. Hence their enormous stupidity of course.
revelette2

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:12 am
@AllBunk,
Be interesting to know how Obama is related to Bush (any of them), guess it is possible on his mother's side, but far fetched.
AllBunk

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:19 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
Be interesting to know how Obama is related to Bush (any of them), guess it is possible on his mother's side, but far fetched.

I am curious if you have done any research in this area?
e.g. peeked in Burke's Peerage?

Quote:
Did you know all 44 U.S. presidents have carried European royal bloodlines into office? 34 have been genetic descendants from just one person, Charlemagne, the brutal eighth century King of the Franks. 19 of them directly descended from King Edward III of England. In fact, the presidential candidate with the most royal genes has won every single American election.

“This information comes from Burke's Peerage, which is the Bible of aristocratic genealogy, based in London. Every presidential election in America, since and including George Washington in 1789 to Bill Clinton, has been won by the candidate with the most British and French royal genes . Of the 42 presidents to Clinton, 33 have been related to two people: Alfred the Great, King of England, and Charlemagne, the most famous monarch of France. So it goes on: 19 of them are related to England's Edward III, who has 2000 blood connections to Prince Charles. The same goes with the banking families in America. George Bush and Barbara Bush are from the same bloodline - the Pierce bloodline, which changed its name from Percy, when it crossed the Atlantic. Percy is one of the aristocratic families of Britain, to this day. They were involved in the Gunpowder Plot to blow up Parliament at the time of Guy Fawkes”
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 08:21 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
And this is right after our Commander in Chief tells us that ISIS is contained and that Global Warming is a bigger threat than terrorism.

Quote:
In the context of Obama’s Nov. 12 interview with Stephanopoulos -- the day before the Paris attacks -- it’s actually quite clear that when he says ISIS is contained, he is talking about ISIS’s territorial expansion in Syria and Iraq. Here are the relevant parts of the interview:

Stephanopoulos: "Some of your critics say, even your friendly critics say, like Fareed Zakaria, that what you have on the ground now is not going to be enough. Every couple of months you're going to be faced with the same choice of back down or double down."

Obama: "I think what is true is that this has always been a multiyear project precisely because the governance structures in the Sunni areas of Iraq are weak, and there are none in Syria. And we don't have ground forces there in sufficient numbers to simply march into Al-Raqqah in Syria and clean the whole place out. And as a consequence, we've always understood that our goal has to be militarily constraining ISIL's capabilities, cutting off their supply lines, cutting off their financing at the same time as we're putting a political track together in Syria and fortifying the best impulses in Baghdad so that we can, not just win militarily, but also win by improving governance."

Stephanopoulos: "And that's the strategy you've been following. But ISIS is gaining strength, aren't they?"

Obama: "Well, no, I don't think they're gaining strength. What is true is that from the start, our goal has been first to contain, and we have contained them. They have not gained ground in Iraq. And in Syria they'll come in, they'll leave. But you don't see this systematic march by ISIL across the terrain. What we have not yet been able to do is to completely decapitate their command and control structures. We've made some progress in trying to reduce the flow of foreign fighters."

source
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't want to take the thread too far off course, but a couple of my thoughts:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Muslims attack and murder innocents in Paris. Muslims attack and kill innocents in San Bernadino, and this is only two of the latest such attacks (for all I know I missed one that happened someplace in Africa). And this is right after our Commander in Chief tells us that ISIS is contained and that Global Warming is a bigger threat than terrorism.

Realistically, global warming is a much greater threat to the US than ISIS. ISIS has the potential to kill a small number of US citizens a year (as opposed to many thousand Muslim ones), but global warming has the
potential to dislocation millions of US citizens, impact weather patterns that are essential to sustaining communities and completely disrupt our economy. Any Presidential candidate that says we can't work on global warming because we have to fight ISIS clearly doesn't have the bandwidth required for the job. We absolutely need to do both.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Just this week the entire LA school district was shut down because of a terrorist threat. I'm not sure how they determined it was fraudulent (did they catch the person making it)

Schools get threats all the time. NY got pretty much the exact same threat that LA got and recognized it was a hoax right off, mainly because it was clear that the person who wrote it didn't understand Islam. You can find links online if you are interested. NPR had a good story. Now the hoaxsters can blame Muslims to get a little extra fear factor.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Yes, of course your odds of being killed by a terrorist are very slim, but when it can happen anywhere and at any time, and you no longer trust the government to keep you safe, there is bound to be fear an anxiety. You can tell people all day long that it's irrational, but it's not.

Yes it is. The odds of being killed by a car or a drug dealer or a heart attack or a dog are higher. Like all of those, you can take reasonable precautions but living your life in fear of an event with a miniscule probability while continuing to do stupid stuff every day is silly. I don't see anyone calling for the government to drop everything and protect us from dogs. No call to remove dogs from our communities to protect us or to ban dogs from the country. The government should take reasonable actions to protect and eliminate terrorism, but they must respect and protect the Constitutional rights of citizens. That is what they swear to do, not protect everyone from every harm.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The fear and anxiety people feel when they get up every day is not based on a probability calculation. It might be great if it were so, but clearly it is not.

But our politicians should be putting things in perspective for us instead of blowing them out of perspective. That is the issue. Trump especially is expanding and exploiting this "fear of the other" at a time when we should be listening to rational voices. ISIS is absolutely hoping we go all irrational and Trump, et al are aiding them.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
We're told that we are xenophobes, racist or scared rabbits if we don't want 10,000 Syrian refugees allowed into the country.... we shouldn't let any in, and that's not irrational, it's common sense.

Actually, it is irrational. No terrorist, none, is willing to go through what these refugees are going through. They simply hop on a plane and fly to where they want to go. Do you think they would really pack up their families, hike across countries, camp in refugee camps in the approaching winter just to get to a country they want to bomb? These people can count on ISIS financing. If there is a group of people in this world who hate ISIS more than anyone, it is the people sitting in those camps with their families who were forced from their homes by an organization which is notorious for killing those who oppose them. These are our natural allies you are spurning, and you are spurning them in a way that confirms everything ISIS is saying about the West.