Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

AllBunk

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 09:46 am
@engineer,
Quote:

Realistically, global warming is a much greater threat to the US than ISIS.

Are you sure? How do you prove this?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:44 pm
@AllBunk,
The Isis bunch cant ship millions of terriosts over here. They dont have the infastructure to do so. But global warming has the potential to move millions of Americans off their homes and lands.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 01:26 am
@engineer,
I think engineer's post is the best one I've read on A2K this year.
Chapeau!
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 01:57 am
@engineer,
GLOBAL warming is only a large and fairly short term danger if you buy the idea that all the bad results predicted by unproven computer models will in fact turn out to be correct.

A large percent of us have little to no faith that such predicts will in fact mirror the real world to any great degree.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 02:02 am
@AllBunk,
Quote:
Are you sure? How do you prove this?

They proven it by way of unproven computer modeling of the whole earth climate system.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 03:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
That's how hate-filled bigots always work, Foofie. Every hate-filled bigot is concerned about the fears of the American people, or the German people, or the Israeli people or whatever people he is appealing to.

Name a hate-filled bigot in history that wasn't primarily concerned about the fears of the American people (or whatever group applied at the time).

Trump and Netanyahu both fit this pattern.

Hold on here. Mr. Netanyahu is legitimately defending his people from a ruthless aggressor who refuses to make peace.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 05:32 pm
@oralloy,
Bull shyt!!!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 05:34 pm
@RABEL222,
You misspelled "****".
roger

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 05:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you. Geez, if we're going to use the word, let's just use it.

I guess by that standard, I should have said Jesus instead of geez.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 06:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
actually ... if it's meant to be ****, it's supposed to be spelled shyte
(according to an Irish slang page I found - from County Tyrone http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/e7/ef/e7ef0b6cf5bee8a727a5cbcd55f0dd6e.pngno less)

according to urban dictionary, shyt's come to mean displeasure

I learn something every day
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:03 pm
I'm watching the Dem debate at the moment. Bernie's got a set. I hope he wins.
Lash

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:28 pm
@Ceili,
I was watching streaming from ABC and it sucked so bad I gave up.

Bernie seemed to be doing quite well. The moderators were horrible, and O'Malley seems to have jumped the shark.

Too bad. he was a decent ally for Bernie previously.

They were cutting to Hillary rallies between commercials. Unbelievable.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:30 pm
@Ceili,
Howdy, Stranger.

Bernie's still looking better than most - maybe all. Way to liberal for me, but less flawed than most of the others.
Ceili

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:43 pm
@roger,
As a proud liberal, middle of the road up here in leftyville Smile, I think his policies would be a breath of fresh air. I agree with just about everything he says. But then, he'd be PM if he ran up here. Justin is a pretty close replica, younger.. more tattoos. lol

Good to see you too Roger.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:45 pm
@Lash,
I don't see the in-between commercials stuff. Canuck TV.
I thought they covered some pretty essential stuff, much more so than the Repug debates, or at least Bernie did. He kept bringing it back to his points, smart.
I find the debates in the States a little odd, but then, you'd probably find ours the same.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 11:18 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

I think engineer's post is the best one I've read on A2K this year.
Chapeau!

Yes, and thank goodness he's still here and hasn't gotten tired of a2k.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 08:55 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

(Secretly I love Trump. I hope he wins the nomination.)

Spoken just like a stinking WASP!
Miller

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 09:36 am
@Miller,
For the record, I acknowledge, that you claim to be 1/2 WASP by birth.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 11:23 am
@engineer,
After 9/11 the stock market shut down for four days and suffered a 12% crash. The 617.78 point loss was the Dow's worst one-day drop ever.The attack deepened and extended the 2001 recession which once finally over had resulted in a loss of approx 38% from it's prior peak.

Regardless of what one believes about it's origins or executions, The War on Terror was birthed by 9/11, and in addition to it costing the US approx $875 billion by the end of George Bush's second term, it ushered in the Patriot Act and attendant restrictions of personal liberty.

Specifically, New York City was estimated to have lost 143,000 jobs and $2.8 billion in lost wages in the three months after 9/11.

While the US Travel industry was hit hard by 9/11 no sector was hit harder than the Airline industry. In the months following the attacks, air travel fell off by 30% and the industry is estimated to have lost some $22 billion. It took two years for travel to return to 2000 levels.Also within months Swissair and Sabena went bankrupt

Clearly, such a negative economic shock resulted in an enormous number of lost jobs and not just in New York City.

I also recently read a report that indicated that highway deaths spiked after 9/11 as fearful American took to the roads rather than the skies.

So while 2,997 individuals were directly murdered in the 9/11, hundreds of thousands of American were significantly impacted as well.

9/11, of course, was the most significant of the terrorist attacks against this country, but each one has launched ripples of similar harm beyond the deaths and injuries of those directly affected. (BTW your somewhat blithe dismissal of the individual tragedies involved in each attack is offensive)

If you don't believe that the much smaller in scope attack against Paris is having similar wide reaching negative impact you are fooling yourself.

The harm to the psyche of communities and the nation at large caused by terrorist attacks is clearly far, far greater than a plane crash or attacks by dogs.

Quote:
Schools get threats all the time.

Of course they do, but they don't shut down the entire school district. This one turned out to be a hoax, but only a fool would suggest that public schools are not excellent targets for terrorists. Should such an attack occur and there is any hint that school officials knew of a possible threat and did nothing, I can only imagine the hue and cry for their heads that will ring out.

Quote:
No terrorist, none, is willing to go through what these refugees are going through. They simply hop on a plane and fly to where they want to go. Do you think they would really pack up their families, hike across countries, camp in refugee camps in the approaching winter just to get to a country they want to bomb?

This is a ridiculous argument. At least your confreres argue that the embedded terrorists will be caught through government screening efforts; not that none of them will try.

Quote:
The government should take reasonable actions to protect and eliminate terrorism, but they must respect and protect the Constitutional rights of citizens.

Syrian refugees are not US citizens.

Arguing against Trump's proposals and rhetoric in a debate with me is a straw man tactic. I have not, nor do I support his proposed ban on all Muslims entering the country. I'm sure attacking Trump earned you some of those upvotes but try and stick with what I'm writing in any response to me.

I have no problem what-so-ever with helping the Syrian refugees who are victims of both Assad and ISIS. I would argue we haven't done enough to help them both in terms of supporting them as refugees and in terms of doing more to rectify the situation that is causing them to be refugees.

Taking in 10,000 Syrian refugees is a drop in the bucket of what is needed and largely a symbol used to make people feel good about themselves.

Most of these refugees don't want to move to foreign lands. They want to live where they and generations of their families have grown up. We can support them financially and militarily without inviting them into our country.
Blickers

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 12:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Trouble is, you overstate the economic impact of 9/11 enormously. For example, the planes devastated lower Manhattan, yet New York City's unemployment rate only went up 2% in the following year. If New York City is only hit that much, the affect on the rest of the country can't be considered significant at all. The idea that enormous nationwide economic consequences ensued is just false.