Are We Ready For a Woman President? Really?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 07:34 am
I certainly think this country is not ready for someone perceived to be as far left as Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

I suspect that because Barack Obama was elected and re-elected, I just stopped supposing it might not be ready for a woman or a Jewish president.

It truly might not be…and I have no doubt that votes will be lost for a woman candidate just because she is a she and not a he, but I doubt a woman would face an insurmountable back-lash on that account.

In my view, a significant part of the electorate is petty…and prejudice against all sorts of things. In a way, I guess I am. I despise American conservatism to the point where I will never be able to vote for a Republican (where they hold sway) again.

Bottom line: It is my opinion we ARE ready for a woman president…and I strongly suspect (and fervently hope) we will have our first one beginning January 20th, 2017.

snood

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 07:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Well said
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 08:34 am
@snood,
I guess I'm sensitive. Anyway, I'll forget it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 10:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Well Frank, I won't be very happy with a Carly Fiorina administration. But, if it will make you happy...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 10:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
I hope we are ready for a Jewish president.
Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 10:59 am
@maxdancona,
And what would having a Jewish President mean?

About 8 years ago, USA elected the first black President. The sky didn't fall then or now.

I wish the focus was also on electing more men and women of ethics and backbone. Congress has been getting away with obstructionism and the bar has been set so low.
Lash

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 11:03 am
@Ragman,
What would having a woman president be?
Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 11:05 am
@Lash,
not much different, IMHO. possibly a refreshing change.
Lash

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 11:06 am
@Ragman,
Jews are even MORE refreshing!!! 😁
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 11:21 am
@Ragman,
Do you really think another Clinton administration represents a refreshing change?

That's actually funny.
Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 12:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Whether or not you're entertained is of no concern to me.

I would prefer Hillary over any other candidate, yet I'm not enamored of her. In fact, I see the biggest problem in gov't in the present and future is Congress. Hillary is the lesser of the evils.

Until you answer the question I posed for you...regarding your comment about the potential of USA having a Jewish President, I've nothing further to discuss with you.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 01:19 pm
@Ragman,
You are no fun, Ragman. Since you asked, I will explain my comment to you.

Hillary supporters are equating "being ready for a woman president" with their support for Hillary (ignoring the fact that there are two women running for president). And they are making the claim that those of us who don't support another Clinton administration are doing so because we are not "ready for a woman president".

I am just turning that around to show how silly it is. Obviously my side command about a Jewish President was referring to Bernie Sanders (the only Jewish candidate on either side). As I showed, you can just as easily say that people who don't support Bernie are doing so because they are not ready for a Jewish candidate.

Everything that can be said about Hillary's female gender can also be said about Bernie's Jewish heritage.

Bernie, if elected, will be the first Jewish president.
Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 02:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Are YOU ready for female President?
Are YOU ready for a Jewish President?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 02:19 pm
@Ragman,
If you guys insist that some of us are misogynists and some of us are antisemites, I suppose that I am a misogynist.

In truth, I don't believe that being against another Clinton administration makes someone a misogynist, nor does rejecting Bernie Sanders make you an antisemite. This thread is off-base as are all of the Hillary supporters blaming misogyny for Hillary's self-inflicted woes.

Let's stop blaming Hillary Clinton's gender for her email server, her support of the Iraq war and the war on drugs, her previous opposition to gay marriage and her continuing inability to articulate a strong stance on racial justice. This race is about issues, trustworthiness and integrity. Clinton has the same problems with these issues, and is encountering the same criticism on these issues, that other losing male candidates have had.

That is really the point I am trying to make.
0 Replies

OregonFlyBy

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 02:46 pm
I think after Obama everything is possible, even for a woman Exclamation
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 03:02 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I hope we are ready for a Jewish president.

I thought we already had one. He just addressed our congress. Isent Netanyahu the Republican president?
RABEL222

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 03:08 pm
@RABEL222,
This is an aside from this foram Max but how long do you think it is going to be before we are engaged in a proxy war with the Soviet Union protecting Israel? I give it about three weeks before someone screws the pooch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 04:12 pm
@snood,
45 minutes after posting the thread you were worried people weren't responding to the thread fast enough and suggested a reason. A few hours later, you worried about low response again. This was Friday evening here, people are leaving work or going out for dinner, going for walks and looking forward to a weekend. By snappy, I meant quick. I was cooking in the kitchen while you were waiting for responses.

I and I suppose others don't always type a response right away even if they've gotten to read the opening post. That was what I was getting at.

Then, in my own case, I wanted to mull about your concept that it might be because we all think there is not a problem, which made me consider for a few minutes if I did take the rise of women in jobs and positions of importance as having already happened.

When I mentioned getting a grip, I see that sounded snarky, when I meant it more neutrally, to relax, was sort of smiling, we'd all talk. Sorry for the bite to that, I see why you took is as me being snarky.
snood

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 04:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Osso. No harm no foul.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 04:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll amend that to I was sort of smiling and sort of irritated Ms. Crabby.

Now I'll amend that to Ms. Grumpy, better word.
0 Replies