Gay marriage: TX Attorney General advises clerks they can refuse marriage lic. on religious grounds

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 02:12 am
@Ionus,
Might be so.

Actually, I don't understand why it is so important ... besides you work in that country, which doesn't recognise your marriage and you want the same tax relief as any other married person.
Ionus

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 02:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My understanding of tax relief for married couples is to help them start a family, as those first years require a lot of adjustment financially . Otherwise, it is actually cheaper to live as a couple so they should pay more tax ... Very Happy
0 Replies

Faraazhussain99

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 03:44 am
@DrewDad,
Honestly I think that Texas needs to realise that love is love. It’s the 21st century and we have come a long time away from the religious eras. You cannot stop two people who love each other get married. As the bible says everybody is equal. You should treat everybody with the same respect regardless of their race/gender/sexuality. The united states have made it legal and all of the states agree except for Texas. You need to learn from the other states because stopping people from expressing their love and affection is wrong. Gay marriage is not wrong; it is just the same as normal marriage, in fact it is normal. I don’t see how not giving a marriage licenses is going to ultimately stop being gay. You simply cannot stop love, it is disgusting how far we have come but we simply still cannot accept gay marriage and love.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 04:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Might be so.

Actually, I don't understand why it is so important ... besides you work in that country, which doesn't recognise your marriage and you want the same tax relief as any other married person.

Why do married people get tax benefits anyway? I never understood that.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 01:31 pm
@rosborne979,
Because we want young unmarried people to support our asses dummy. Razz
rosborne979

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 02:03 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Because we want young unmarried people to support our asses dummy. Razz

I'm an unmarried person. Never wanted it to be that way, but it's just the way it turned out. Am I being punished for never getting married? Am I being treated unequally/unfairly?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 03:27 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

So if you dont use the term marriage you are a second class citizen.

Yes. If the power of the state is abused in order to deprive a class of citizens of the right to marry and all the civil and statutory benefits associated with marriage, then those citizens are relegated to the status of second-class citizens. You propose creating two separate classes: A first class consisting of heterosexual couples who enjoy all the rights and benefits of marriage, and a second class of homosexual couples who would only get the limited rights and benefits of "civil unions" or "domestic partnerships". The United States Supreme Court rejected the "separate but [allegedly] equal" doctrine long ago because there was no equality involved, only oppression. If man does not learn from history, he is doomed to repeat it. I invite you to explore the history of the civil rights movement and learn from it.

Quote:
What a lot of emotional hysteria you are peddling.

If you had lived in the not so distant past, you might of said the same thing to proponents of equal civil rights for our nation's black citizens. But your fallacious argument would be rejected.

Quote:
What about de-facto relationships, do they have to sit at the back of the bus ?

I cannot answer that question until you provide me with a definition of "de facto relationships". An online urban online dictionary defines the phrase as a dating relationship wherein the two people involved tell their friends they are not dating, just hanging out. I don't know how this relates to the subject of civil rights and second class citizenship.

Quote:
Don't try to make garbage sound intelligent .

Thank you, Ionus. I wish I could say the same to you. Wink

Quote:
I strongly suggest you stop all this emotional dribble and have a good think about it . You follow all the causes you can find dont you, without question like racists do .

Your characterizations of my contributions to the discussion say more about you than they do about me. Have a very nice day.
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 05:02 pm
@Debra Law,
excellent summary , well presented, although Im not surprised it went smoothly over Ionus head.
jcboy

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 05:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im not surprised it went smoothly over Ionus head.

Neither am I.

She will mop the forum floor by the seat of that Banana bender’s pants any day. Razz
roger

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 05:45 pm
@rosborne979,
If both have about the same income, they get less deduction per person if they file as married - if I remember correctly (and I may not). Certainly, married filing separately is the most highly taxed status possible. This is often called the "marriage penalty".
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 12:41 am
@farmerman,
Arent you embarrassed to be just the cheer squad ? At least you arent making a fool of yourself though .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 12:42 am
@jcboy,
Quote:
She will mop the forum floor by the seat of that Banana bender’s pants any day.
Remains to be seen and you stop thinking about my pants .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 12:49 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
In effect, the act of the couple representing themselves to others as being married, and organizing their relation as if they were married, acts as the evidence that they are married .
Interesting. We don't have such sui iuris marriage in our legal system: either you are married or not. (Of course, often people live together and "feel like married". Legally as important as calling your mother's friend "aunt".)
Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 12:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Its mainly in the English speaking world and it goes way back in time . In Oz it has reached ridiculous proportions where if the woman says you were defacto on separating, and you prepared meals together, washed clothes together and had sex then you were defacto married . If the man says not to all those, they believe the woman . Its original purpose was to protect children born out of wedlock .
roger

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 01:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That applies in the US only if they actually hold themselves out to the public as being married. Only some states recognize this common law marriage and most of those require a certain minimum number of years in the relationship, which is usually seven years.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 01:27 am
@Ionus,
Well, in Australia it's even part of the Family Law.
Ionus

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 02:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yep . Dont I know it... Very Happy
parados

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:52 am
@Ionus,
There is no compromise unless you rewrite much of existing law.

Tax law has married or single tax tables. There are no "civil union"tables. Without changing the law, a civil union does not give a couple the ability to use the married tax table. So providing them with civil unions clearly gives them second class status under current tax law.

Then we can get into inheritance and medical rights after that. Simply providing them with a "civil union" doesn't provide them with marriage rights under the law unless you specify that a civil union is the same thing as a marriage which is what you are arguing you don't want to do.

Common law marriage varies from state to state. Many states don't recognize common law marriages. Of the 11 states that do allow common law marriages many don't recognize them unless they are registered with the state. Federal tax law doesn't recognize common law marriage unless the state where the person lives has recognized it as a marriage.
Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 01:35 pm
@Ionus,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, in Australia it's even part of the Family Law.

Ionus wrote:

Yep . Dont I know it... Very Happy

Did you Google that? Laughing