Gay marriage: TX Attorney General advises clerks they can refuse marriage lic. on religious grounds

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:47 pm
@maxdancona,
No, I don't really want that.

I'm not as stupid as I sound.

Which brings us to the court system..
maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 10:04 pm
@ossobuco,
So we agree. If Kim Davis breaks the law again, let the judge put her into jail and let any appeals court let it stand.

This is the way it should be... this isn't a Christians vs. homosexuals, it is a lawbreaking public official against a judge.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 10:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Judges are also often elected, so things can be a merrygoround, as we all know, then challenged.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 07:35 am
The conservative militia that threatened employees of the federal government when they tried to collect fees owed by a rich rancher is now promising to make sure Kim Davis is not sent back to jail even if she breaks the law again. Can we please shoot everyone of these idiots?

They are creating the illusion that the angry government is trying to get Kim but is weak and unable to because the power of Republican Jesus (and some republican hicks with guns) won't let it happen or that Obama is a pansy and can't stand up to their guns. Take your pick. Cool

KENTUCKY: Heavily Armed “Christian Patriot” Militia Vows To Stop Future Arrests Of Kim Davis

Quote:
The Oath Keepers, the heavily armed and self-described “Christian patriot” militia who recently appeared in Ferguson, Missouri to “help” the police quell civil unrest, will be on the other side of the law in Kentucky where they have vowed to prevent federal marshals from ever arresting Kim Davis again. Right Wing Watch reports:

Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes announced yesterday that he had reached out to Davis’ lawyers at Liberty Counsel to offer the protection of his group, which he says is already forming a presence in Rowan County, Kentucky, where Davis was recently released from jail after prohibiting her office from issuing marriage licenses. Rhodes said in a statement that his position has nothing to do with gay marriage, but rather his conviction that Davis had been illegally detained by the federal judge who held her in contempt for violating multiple court orders.

http://www.joemygod.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/oath1-610x330.jpg
jespah

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 08:36 am
@jcboy,
The fact that people who call themselves 'oath keepers' are rushing to the defense of someone jailed for breaking her oath is a bit of delicious irony.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 09:04 am
@jespah,
I'm rather sue that some have religious reasons to oppose cremation. Has a clerk/magistrate/judge refused a death certificate for such reason?

Or a birth certificate for an unmarried woman?
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 08:08 am
Quote:
Liberty Counsel Is Representing Kim Davis In Litigation Over Her Refusal To Issue Marriage Licenses. In the legal battle over her refusal to issue marriage licenses to same and opposite-sex couples, Rowan County, Kentucky clerk Kim Davis is being represented at no charge by Liberty Counsel. [Liberty Counsel, 9/4/15]

Liberty Counsel Has Been Designated A Hate Group By The Southern Poverty Law Center. Liberty Counsel is on the Southern Poverty Law Center's (SPLC) list of active anti-LGBT hate groups due to its anti-LGBT extremism. From SPLC's website (emphasis added):

Founded in 1989 and based in Orlando, Fla., the Liberty Counsel is well known for its strident anti-LGBT rhetoric. Mat Staver, the group's president, co-founder and former dean at the Liberty University School of Law, has claimed that with full marriage equality, everyone will decide to be gay and society will "cease to exist." (He also has linked homosexuality to rampant increases in disease, falsely linked homosexuality to pedophilia and claimed that homosexuality is the result of childhood sexual abuse.) [Southern Poverty Law Center, 2/09/15]

Links at the source

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:37 pm
The guy that did this asked if he could Gillian Anderson's reaction. She loved it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COhJrHxUYAE4zF9.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 04:24 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/66/34/98/66349829919ae00fa8c2bf35a68f16bb.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 04:28 pm
Starting to wonder if my attention span is so short I'm reduced to channel surfing the memes rather than any actual analysis.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/df/ca/6e/dfca6e3526b250a9364e4bf534e173cd.jpg
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 09:08 am
I'm going out on a limb here with my folks who I usually agree with, but I can sympathize with Kim Davis. However, biblically and technically she is wrong. A biblical marriage so to speak doesn't have anything to do with a government license. (render under Caesar the things that are Caesar...)

Letter: Why can’t Kim Davis render unto Ceasar?

Moreover if it goes against her conscience she should resign.

The latest though:

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Says Marriage Licenses Being Issued Without Her Authority
parados

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 09:09 am
@revelette2,
Why should she resign? She needs the money more than she needs her God.
revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 09:13 am
@parados,
Well, she seems sincere and if she is, rather than going against her conscience, if it were me, I would resign regardless of money.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 10:15 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
I'm going out on a limb here with my folks who I usually agree with, but I can sympathize with Kim Davis. However, biblically and technically she is wrong.

I disagree with this.

What is at issue here is Kim Davis' personal religious beliefs. Her interpretation of the Bible is the only interpretation that matters. The Bible has been interpreted in so many ways... and was written in such a different time and culture... that any discussion of that the Bible actually means is meaningless.

There is no way to be biblically wrong. That very phrase has zero meaning in a 21st century Western context.
revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 10:43 am
@maxdancona,
It's a free forum, you're perfectly able to disagree. Technically you are correct, if that is the way she interprets the Bible, ok. I don't interpret it that way. Either way, it makes no difference legally.

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 12:08 pm
@revelette2,
You sympathize with Kim Davis in what way, or for what, exactly?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 01:06 pm
@revelette2,
It may make a difference legally... at least that is what her lawyers are arguing.

The state of affairs as of today is that she is neither issuing the licenses herself or giving any permission for the licenses to be issued. She is simply not preventing the licenses from being issued.

Employment law provides that "reasonable accomodations" should be made for people's personal religious beliefs. It will be interesting to see how the current policy will do in court.

But, In this way her personal religious beliefs do make a difference legally.

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:04 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Employment law provides that "reasonable accomodations" should be made for people's personal religious beliefs. It will be interesting to see how the current policy will do in court.

But it's also settled law that a public official cannot cite personal beliefs in order to avoid performing their public duties.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:08 pm
Would you want a person who doesn't believe in science. or medicine to be the Surgeon General? I don't.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 12:40 am
@maxdancona,
So she should quit her job and study her bible. The constitution takes presidence over the bible in the U S.