Gay marriage: TX Attorney General advises clerks they can refuse marriage lic. on religious grounds

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:29 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Quote:
because registered partnerships between same-sex couples are allowed in Germany, Emma and Carine can be granted the same rights as couples with registered partnerships under German law.
Now THAT was what I have been saying was the right thing to do...leave the term Marriage in the hands of the heterosexuals . This will go on for a long time yet .
Not here in Germany. I'm sure that the "Eingetragene Partnerschaft" (registered partnership) for same-sex couples will soon get all the rights others get by registering a "Ehe" (marriage).

One reason is that heterosexual can't get a registered partnership (which would be de facto a stupid thing but which is de iure a case for the Federal Constitutional Court), the other - of course - that in a partnership you don't have all rights you get in a marriage.

Married foreigners, btw, don't get the rights they get in their home country or the country where they married but just those Germans get as well.
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Are you saying in Germany defacto relationships do not get the same recognition as marriage ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:36 am
@Ionus,
That's what the law says.
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What rights do defacto's miss out on ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Act on Registered Life Partnerships
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ahh..Walt...thanks for the ref, but it assumes I already know what the rights for marriage are in Germany . Do you have another ref for marriage or can you just tell me the difference ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:49 am
@Ionus,
There are several differences, for instance in tax law (cases are to be dealt at the Federal Tax Court, perhaps this court will ask the Federal Constitutional Court), pension-related (cases are at the Federal Labour Court resp. at the Federal Social Court).

The main difference are in constitutional law - not protected like marriage (article 6, Basic Law) - and regarding adoptions.

Additionally, there a couple more in social law, laws about professions ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:51 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Do you have another ref for marriage or can you just tell me the difference ?
The rights for marriage are defined in ... dozens of laws in various different 'law books'.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As an aside: the blessing of same-sex unions is done in Germany by most (regional) churches (13 out of 20 ) within the Evangelical Church in Germany[", in the Moravian Church and a few other, smaller Evangelical/Protestant churches.

But as said: that has nothing at all to do with the legal status but is something totally private.
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What percentage of Germans are in the Evangelical Church ?
Debra Law

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 11:04 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Let me be the first to say ... welcome back, Debra. Glad to see you back in the fold for however long you choose.

Hi Ragman. I wanted to see what everyone was saying about the Supreme Court decision on same sex marriage. In the past, there were some very lively debates on the subject in this forum. Anyway, I'm very happy that marriage equality is finally a reality in this country. High praise to the 3 lady justices and 2 male justices who grasp the true meaning of life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, and equal protection under the law. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 11:14 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
What percentage of Germans are in the Evangelical Church ?
29.0% of Germans (23,040,392) are members of one of the churches of the Evangelical Church in Germany.
(29.9% [24,170,754] Roman Catholic, 38.8% of the German population is atheist, not in any church.Source
Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 11:52 am
@Ionus,
THAT's the first time, I've heard such comment.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 12:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Historic data

Quote:
http://i61.tinypic.com/smd65j.jpg

"Bevölkerung" is 'population', "Angehörige" means 'members', "Sonstige" 'others'; data are for the Evangelical Church, Roman-Catholic and Jews.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 12:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Compare those numbers to the rest of the western world and I think you will find Germany is more Christian . It was considered the most Christian nation in Europe before WW2, maybe it still is ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 12:24 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
It was considered the most Christian nation in Europe before WW2, maybe it still is ?
The first part of the above is new for me. And the second - with one third of the population being without religion ... ?
But this certainly is derailing the thread.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 12:42 am
Back to the topic, marriage has and should always be a national responsibility . Recognising a marriage is based on citizenship . If your country has legalised homosexual or polygyny marriage, those marriages will not be recognised in any country that does not have similar marriage laws or has other problems with citizenship of that country .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 12:46 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Recognising a marriage is based on citizenship .
I'm not sure what you mean with "citizenship" here.
At least in Germany, the registration of a marriage is based on residency.
Ionus

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 01:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Some countries will not recognise the marriage of one of their citizens in another country or to a citizen of another country .