Gay marriage: TX Attorney General advises clerks they can refuse marriage lic. on religious grounds

Debra Law

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:57 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

. . .

The real problem is intrinsic to the term marriage . That could have been avoided by a different name . . . .

People are not satisfied with second-class citizenship. Would you be satisfied if you were forced to ride in the back of the bus while the special citizens got to ride up front?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:59 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Recognition of every other countries' marriages has been smooth sailing till now but many countries are going to not recognise marriages in countries with homosexual marriage . That will be an interesting phase .
Though this certainly is a different discussion: since quite a few countries already had changed their marriage laws before - did any other country not recognise the (all) marriages in these countries afterwards?

Ionus

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 11:06 pm
@Debra Law,
I have no idea how you came up with that analogy . Perhaps it is better to stick to the topic .
They wanted the term marriage so the could rub it in the faces of heterosexuals who believed marriage was between a man and a woman . A small percentage of homosexuals wanted to and will want to get married . Most heterosexuals will get married . To suit a small minority of homosexuals who want to live in denial the majority were offended . Then came the marketing...lawyers, the entertainment industry, news media, all have a higher percentage of homosexuals . The ordinary people were brainwashed by slogans like Marriage Rights...what if they had of used Marriage Theft would it have been so successful ? Then ordinary people who didnt have a cause (whales are boring, the cockroaches of the sea) took up homosexual marriage as a cause . Now they think they have won, they will wander off for another cause, but the problem is just starting .

I take it the term Marriage implies first class citizenship ? Really ?
Ionus

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 11:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It will depend on relations between two countries in general . When relations sour, it will come out . At the moment it is the elephant in the room .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 11:24 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
It will depend on relations between two countries in general . When relations sour, it will come out . At the moment it is the elephant in the room .
That's not what I asked for. And when the legal relations between two (or more) countries are changed, it's not just about marriages. (Actually, that would a minor, if not last point.)

But again: marriage laws have changed in numerous countries since years., starting in Denmark (1989). Do you know any country, which does not recognise e.g. Danish marriages?
Debra Law

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 12:09 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

. . .
The real problem is intrinsic to the term marriage . That could have been avoided by a different name . . . .

Debra Law wrote:
People are not satisfied with second-class citizenship. Would you be satisfied if you were forced to ride in the back of the bus while the special citizens got to ride up front?

Ionus wrote:

I have no idea how you came up with that analogy . Perhaps it is better to stick to the topic .

If you were familiar with the history of our nation and with the more recent history of the marriage equality movement, then you would understand what I said and how it related to the topic of giving same-sex marriages a different name. For now, I will leave you with this often-repeated quote: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” And, as a bonus, I will leave you with a new quote that I just made up: "Those who never learned about the past are ignorant."

parkbj1008

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 12:11 am
@DrewDad,
Well, anyway, licensing a couple's marriage is recognizing not the factors only between a man and a woman but those such as affection, love, trust, or devotion to each other throughout their lives regardless of gender.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 01:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Every country that does not currently recognise homosexual marriages in their own lands do not recognise other countries homosexual marriages . The same is true for polygyny marriages .

People holding dual citizenship may not have their heterosexual marriage under one of those citizenships recognised by the other country .
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 01:54 am
@Debra Law,
So if you dont use the term marriage you are a second class citizen . What a lot of emotional hysteria you are peddling . What about de-facto relationships, do they have to sit at the back of the bus ? Don't try to make garbage sound intelligent . I strongly suggest you stop all this emotional dribble and have a good think about it . You follow all the causes you can find dont you, without question like racists do .
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 01:58 am
If any of you clowns think being homosexual is the same as being black you are out of your cotton picking minds .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 02:31 am
50 States of Gay ...not happening .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 05:04 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
but many countries are going to not recognise marriages in countries with homosexual marriage .

I am curious...

Which countries are you talking about?
Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 06:26 am
@Debra Law,
Let me be the first to say ... welcome back, Debra. Glad to see you back in the fold for however long you choose.
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 08:12 am
@maxdancona,
I outlined the reasons that countries already dont recognise each others marriages here : http://able2know.org/topic/283491-2#post-5982074

I dont think Muslim countries will ever go on board with this, so homosexual marriages will never be recognised there . China and India have a long way to go . Homosexual marriage is not even recognised uniformly across the EU and they are supposed to recognise each others marriages already .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 08:28 am
@Ionus,
Originally you wrote:
Recognition of every other countries' marriages has been smooth sailing till now but many countries are going to not recognise marriages in countries with homosexual marriage . That will be an interesting phase .

Then you didn't speak about about marriage in general but narrowed it to the marriage of certain persons
Ionus wrote:
Every country that does not currently recognise homosexual marriages in their own lands do not recognise other countries homosexual marriages .
We don't have a (full) same sex marriage procedure here. But any married homosexual couple gets (at least) the same rights as Germans get when they registered partners.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 08:42 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Homosexual marriage is not even recognised uniformly across the EU and they are supposed to recognise each others marriages already .
Quote:
In theory, your marriage is guaranteed to be recognised in all other EU countries - but this does not fully apply to same-sex marriages.

If you get married in a different EU country than your country of origin it is a good idea to register the marriage at the consular office of your country of origin where you live.

If you move to another EU country for work, your husband or wife can come and live with you there if they are also a citizen of an EU country. Different rules apply for spouses without EU citizenship.

Not really, since the law about registering is national law.
Quote:
Same-sex marriage - when national practices differ

Emma, a Belgian national, married Carine, a French national, in Belgium. When Emma had to move to Germany for work, Carine followed her - but they were not regarded as married by the authorities, since same-sex marriage is not recognised in Germany.

However, because registered partnerships between same-sex couples are allowed in Germany, Emma and Carine can be granted the same rights as couples with registered partnerships under German law.
Source: europe.eu
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 08:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Then you didn't speak about about marriage in general but narrowed it to the marriage of certain persons
I did both . Some countries already do not recognise another countries marriages, but most of these are due to dual citizenship .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 08:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Not really, since the law about registering is national law.
Heterosexual marriages are legally recognised in all EU countries .

Quote:
because registered partnerships between same-sex couples are allowed in Germany, Emma and Carine can be granted the same rights as couples with registered partnerships under German law.
Now THAT was what I have been saying was the right thing to do...leave the term Marriage in the hands of the heterosexuals . This will go on for a long time yet .
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:13 am
Quote:
According to Tennessee Equality Project, seven counties are not issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Those counties are: Gibson, Grundy, Lake, Marion, Obion, Smith, Steward
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:28 am
Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore :
Quote:
"Not only does the U.S. Supreme Court have no legal authority to redefine marriage, but also at least 2 members of the Court's majority opinion were under a legal duty to recuse and refrain from voting. Their failure to recuse calls into question the validity of this decision," the statement said.

Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell :
Quote:
"Therefore, there is not yet a legal requirement for officials to issue marriage licenses or perform marriages for same-sex couples in Louisiana. The Attorney General's Office will be watching for the Court to issue a mandate or order making today's decision final and effective and will issue a statement when that occurs,"

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant :
Quote:
"Today, a federal court has usurped (the) right to self-governance and has mandated that states must comply with federal marriage standards -- standards that are out of step with the wishes of many in the United States and that are certainly out of step with the majority of Mississippians,"

Many other states are in disagreement with the decision but will implement it .
0 Replies