When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Builder

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 04:02 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
The US is in Syria to clean out ISIS and to bring down Assad. Russia couldn't care less how many people ISIS beheads, but they want to keep Assad in power and since ISIS is one of the groups trying to bring him down, they are anti-ISIS for that reason.

Did you read that back to yourself? I can almost see the spittle flying from here.
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 04:14 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Anyone who thinks they get the truth from Russia needs to get back on their meds.

And anyone who thinks they get the truth from the US, or UK govt, need a psyche assessment. I see Oliver Stone's new release "Snowden" is on the streets. You might like to upgrade your knowledge base with a little theatre, gal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSAiI3xMh4
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 04:45 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Without cue cards, Obama is legless on set. Putin's speech to the Valdai discussion group, no cue cards, is the mark of a true statesman.

You just fell into the "ignore" hole.
roger

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 04:59 pm
@blatham,
I'm keeping him around just to see who falls for that stuff.
blatham

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 05:01 pm
@roger,
It's a fine thing that we can each make such choices.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 05:06 pm
Earlier on this thread and others, there has been a lot of discussion about Clinton and Sanders and a surprising (to me) level of antipathy from the left re Hillary. As I and others noted, there's a robust history of GOP operatives stoking such notions for their electoral benefit.

Digby has an excellent post on this today. Do read it. http://bit.ly/293vNP0
0 Replies

snood

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 06:06 pm
@blatham,
That's amazing to me, after 7+ years of hearing this man speak. I mean, they can say a lot of things about the man, but trying to say that he can't think on his feet, or that he's somehow slow-witted?
ossobuco

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 06:14 pm
@blatham,
Blatham, I am interested in your take on the Kurds. I am obviously just a reader from far away, but I have been more or less for them; of course I've no wisdom on it. I also figure they are not at all a monolith.
blatham

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 07:37 pm
@snood,
Quote:
trying to say that he can't think on his feet, or that he's somehow slow-witted?

Yeah. Ain't that something. Is it lack of familiarity? Some malfunction in the mind that blocks observation/perception? I really am bemused when people get things so wrong.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I am interested in your take on the Kurds.

I'm sorry, darlin'. This is one of a bazillion areas where I have not put any effort into studying. I'm so stupid on this, I wouldn't utter a word.

I'm not sure who'd be a good go-to source on this. Setanta, quite possibly.
ossobuco

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 08:57 pm
@blatham,
I read a lot at one point that made me relate to them. But, of course I don't know the ins and outs of situations. I don't always save links, but I might have brought the Kurds up before.
Blickers

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 08:59 pm
@snood,
Quote snood:
Quote:
That's amazing to me, after 7+ years of hearing this man [Obama] speak. I mean, they can say a lot of things about the man, but trying to say that he can't think on his feet, or that he's somehow slow-witted?

Know where that comes from? A single instance in 2008 where Obama was talking during a speech about how many states he had just visited, and he pulled a blank and said he had gone to 57 states, one more to go because he can't get to Alaska or Hawaii. From then on, the conservatives started saying that Obama can't talk without a teleprompter in front of him.

Although it was the American right wing who picked up on this, it is getting hard to tell the difference between American right wing posters and Russians, since they both hate Obama. American extremist right wingers hate Obama so much that they started cheering for Putin to show him up during various confrontations. So now you see Russian posters, (Russia has a paid troll factory based in St. Petersburg, Russia) echoing their friends the American right wingers about how bad Obama is, and the American right wingers echoing their friends the Russians' unending predictions about how the dollar is going to plummet any month now because it is "fiat currency" not backed by gold. It's a real mutual admiration society. The funny thing is, not so many decades ago the American right wing was trying to put people whom they felt were not anti-Russian enough behind bars. Now they all think Putin is a pussycat, a real swell guy.

Anyway, here's a video of the mistake Obama made in 2008 about the states:

snood

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 11:21 pm
@Blickers,
I remember that gaffe, but how can one or two slips of the tongue brand a man who's eloquent and sharp 99% of the time, when a blithering, babbling jerk like George Bush or Sarah Palin just gets labeled "folksy" or "real", no matter how many flubs they make?
Blickers

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 01:44 am
@snood,
If you hate somebody enough, everything they do seems like the most outrageous thing possible.
Builder

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:21 am
@blatham,
Quote:
You just fell into the "ignore" hole.

That's phunny; I can still see your posts.

Not that we've had any discussion at all, prior to this.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:25 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

If you hate somebody enough, everything they do seems like the most outrageous thing possible.

This can be applied universally.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:30 am
@snood,
Quote:
..... but trying to say that he can't think on his feet, or that he's somehow slow-witted?

Surely you didn't miss this "episode", snood?

Quote:
The White House has a problem.

A technical malfunction at a St. Patrick's Day event, in no way the resident's fault, has nonetheless focused attention on what some news organizations have called Obama's "overreliance" on the TelePrompTer. This, in and of itself, might not be such a bad thing except that it conflicts with his reputation for being a compelling speaker possessed of a broad command of the issues.

In reaction to the attention generated by the St. Patrick's Day flub the White House has, for the moment, nuked the TelePrompTer. During the President's press conference earlier this week it was nowhere to be seen, leaving Obama to make his opening remarks from memory -- aided by a 52-inch large screen television placed strategically at the back of the room. At his online town hall meeting on Thursda, Obama had only a notebook work from. The notebook was spread across the top podium. But, if you watched carefully, you could see him steal glances while answering some of the questions submitted by e-mail.

And I do think that president Obama is streets ahead of the last jerk that held the position. You know, the one that needs locking up for war crimes.

As for president Putin, he's never at a loss for words, even in front of some of the more astute minds of our times, vis a vis the Valdai discussion group. Here's his off-the-cuff speech, along with questions answered.

0 Replies

Builder

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 02:31 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
If you hate somebody enough,....

Whom "hates" who?

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 06:17 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I read a lot at one point that made me relate to them. But, of course I don't know the ins and outs of situations. I don't always save links, but I might have brought the Kurds up before.

Then, for sure, you are way up on me.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 06:19 am
To Snood and everyone else here (excluding those tragic few with a damaged brain stem).

The other night, I bumped into something terribly smart. It was from Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars with Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner. Seinfeld brought up The Producers and Springtime for Hitler, noting the completely unique and counter-intuitive address to Adolf Hitler - for a Jew to take a subject which had always been conceptualized in a very singular way, as serious and despairing as things might ever get, and make it comedic and frivolous and slapstick!

And Brooks said, "You can't go at him tirade for tirade. You're going to lose. You have to find some other way".

This has application here, I trust we'll understand.
0 Replies