ida2

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:11 am
Hi there,
I’ve just graduated from university and now I am the holder of bachelor degree in Translating English. I was an excellent, hard-working student during this four-year course and I got the first grade at the end of the course. So I am good at my field, i.e. translating, but I feel weak in writing and more than that in speaking English.
I have begun to translate a book from English to Persian and I’ve done it well by now, but I want to improve my writing and speaking as well. For speaking I am going to watch movies, at the same time I am going to create a dreamy pal and speak with her during the day. But for writing I decided to choose a subject every day and write some paragraphs about it. It is where I need your help. I want you to read my compositions and correct my grammatical mistakes.
Can you do me this favor?
I’d be very grateful if you guys could help me.
Ida.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 5,707 • Replies: 95

InkRune

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:55 am
@ida2,
Movies? Listen to talk shows instead. Movies have sketchy english. Although really anything works

And trust me, there is always feedback here
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 12:36 pm
@ida2,
OK. I 'll take a shot at it.

David
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 02:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OK EVERYONE, DUCK!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 02:17 pm
@ida2,
Ida some of our a2k guys can be very helpful in this respect, each apparently spending much of his respective day at such assistance. However many consider it dreadfully tedious so if I were you, eg, I might devote a single thread to your first para, posting another as a subsequent thread only after the first is exhausted

….limiting the length of each
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 02:23 pm
@ida2,
What is your first language?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 02:25 pm
Also take into account that while most of the members of this site are Americans, there's a healthy spattering of Australians and English. We spell differently. Technically, none of us are wrong, but there will be differences.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 03:01 pm
@ida2,
This place can be great for that. A pity you can't teach us Persian... :-)
timur

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 03:03 pm
@Olivier5,
That would be farsical..
Olivier5

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 03:13 pm
@timur,
Or it could be legendari.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:55 am
@Olivier5,
Oli you've made my entire week
It's not everyday….
http://onelook.com/?w=dari&ls=a

Oh well, all right, you too Tim
http://onelook.com/?w=farsi&ls=a
Olivier5

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:04 pm
@dalehileman,
LOL -- it was just a lame joke in response to Timur's lame joke...

Dari is Afghan Persian. It retains some features which have disappeared from Iranian Persian and thus is considered more archaic.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Oli not lame at all, well done
Olivier5

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 01:29 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

ida2

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:19 am
Hi everybody
Thank you for your guidance and support. I am so glad to know you guys.
I have a bad cold, so I couldn’t write my daily compositions. But as soon as I get better, I’ll resume writing.
My first language is Persian or Farsi.
Thank you my friends… or that is better to say “my teachers” :-)
0 Replies

ida2

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 12:07 pm

I think it is better to write about myself, in order to you guys be more interested in following my daily compositions.
As you know, my name is Ida. I am 30 years old and from Iran. Yes, the very country where is so controversial because of its nuclear energy program. But let’s not enter the political issues and back to me. ;-)
10 years ago, I had a terrible accident in which I broke my neck and my spinal cord was injured. After that I became paralyzed for the entire of my body. I am a quadriplegic person and just my left arm has 40% movement, except for the wrist and fingers. I can use computer and type with a tool witch my Occupational therapist has designed for me. I also have respiratory problems because of which I breathe by a tube put in my neck.
Despite all my problems I could continue my education and now I am a translator. For my first work as a translator, I am translating the autobiography book of an American quadriplegic woman, named Joni Eareckson Tada whose life is highly similar to mine.
Is there anybody among you who know her?
I am going to write more about myself tomorrow. :-)
Please let me know about my grammatical and structural mistakes.
Thanks.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 01:03 pm
@ida2,
Quote:
I am going to write more about myself tomorrow. :-)
Oh Ida please do
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 12:42 am
@ida2,
Ida, you are an inspiration! I teach EFL at university level. I will gladly give you a little feedback, if you like.

First of all, you write extraordinarily well for anyone, much less an EFL student! I wish more of my students would attain your level of fluency.

Tip #1:
Quote:
10 years ago,

I realize that this is informal writing, but I just wanted to make sure that you knew that in formal/academic writing, it's not good to start a sentence with roman numerals. We're told to spell out numbers in such situations.

Tip #2:
Quote:
I also have respiratory problems because of which I breathe by a tube put in my neck.

I think this has to be syntactically reversed to show the cause-and-effect that you seem to intend: "I breathe by a tube (put) in my neck, because of which I also have respiratory problems."

Alternatively, and more easily, you could write, "I also have respiratory problems, because I breathe..."

Either of those would convey what I take to be your intended message.

Tip #3:
Quote:
I am translating the autobiography book of an American quadriplegic woman, named Joni Eareckson Tada whose life is highly similar to mine.

For conciseness, slightly more fluent vocabulary and a little mechanics (the comma before "named"):
"I am translating the autobiography of an American named Joni Eareckson Tada, a quadriplegic woman whose life is remarkably similar to mine."

Incidentally, someone whose native Enlish is British English (BrE) may disagree with AmE punctuation. I consider them both equally acceptable.

I hope that was helpful! Very Happy
Wilso

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 01:54 am
@FBM,
In which country are you teaching English?

Was my question grammatically correct (I had to think about it!)?
FBM

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2014 02:07 am
@Wilso,
S. Korea (the good one). Yeah, your question is grammatically correct, but we've been given permission by the grammar gods in recent years to dangle our prepositions freely (as well as to split our infinitives as we see fit), so you could've written, "Which country are you teaching English in?" and still gotten a green light. Wink