ida2

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:51 pm
Although the Director General of Higher Education was hesitant, he decided to give me a chance; however, he laid me down a condition…

He told I would first get permission for just one semester and if I could pass the term with at least the average of 12, the absolute permission would be granted to me.

He laid me down this condition when the current semester was in the middle, thus I had less than 2 months until the final exams. They had given me four lessons; two general and two specific. I must learn these lessons just by relying on myself. I didn’t know the teachers yet, so there was no help on behalf of them. Of course, two of my teachers once came to our home and explained briefly the content of the books and determined the chapters which I should read. And that’s all.

I was afraid, but decisive. I must prove to everyone that I could overcome all the difficulties; not only because of me, but also because of all the people with disabilities whose physical conditions held them back from education.

Therefore, I closed my eyes to the fears and problems and began to study hard. Although I had greatly made progress in English by then, so that I knew many of the contents of the lessons, there were some new points which I had not learned so far.

To learn these new points, I used the internet resources; the explanations of my books were not enough. Also, virtual communication with my teachers through email didn’t help so much. It was to the extent that I sent my assignments to them.

Despite all the difficulties and pressures I managed to get ready for the final exams in time. My exams were held at home under supervision of an agent from university. He brought me the questions and I typed the answers on computer and then printed the answers’ sheets. Although those days I was not very well physically, I could cope with the exams.

One week later, the examination results were determined. They were amazing! My average of the four lessons was 19.22; far more than what the Director General of Higher Education had set me as a condition. Therefore with no more objections, I got the absolute permission for continuing my education.

However, it was just the beginning and I had a long way in front of me…
FBM

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 01:18 am
@ida2,
ida2 wrote:

Although the Director General of Higher Education was hesitant, he decided to give me a chance; however, he laid me down a condition…

He told I would first get permission for just one semester and if I could pass the term with at least the average of 12, the absolute permission would be granted to me.

He laid me down this condition when the current semester was in the middle, thus I had less than 2 months until the final exams. They had given me four lessons; two general and two specific. I must learn these lessons just by relying on myself. I didn’t know the teachers yet, so there was no help on behalf of them. Of course, two of my teachers once came to our home and explained briefly the content of the books and determined the chapters which I should read. And that’s all.

I was afraid, but decisive. I must prove to everyone that I could overcome all the difficulties; not only because of me, but also because of all the people with disabilities whose physical conditions held them back from education.

Therefore, I closed my eyes to the fears and problems and began to study hard. Although I had greatly made progress in English by then, so that I knew many of the contents of the lessons, there were some new points which I had not learned so far.

To learn these new points, I used the internet resources; the explanations of my books were not enough. Also, virtual communication with my teachers through email didn’t help so much. It was to the extent that I sent my assignments to them.

Despite all the difficulties and pressures I managed to get ready for the final exams in time. My exams were held at home under supervision of an agent from university. He brought me the questions and I typed the answers on computer and then printed the answers’ sheets. Although those days I was not very well physically, I could cope with the exams.

One week later, the examination results were determined. They were amazing! My average of the four lessons was 19.22; far more than what the Director General of Higher Education had set me as a condition. Therefore with no more objections, I got the absolute permission for continuing my education.

However, it was just the beginning and I had a long way in front of me…

Although the Director General of Higher Education was hesitant, he decided to give me a chance; however, he laid [...] down a condition for me

He told me I would first get permission for just one semester and if I could pass the term with at least an average of 12, then absolute permission would be granted to me.

He laid [...] down this condition in the middle of the current semester, thus I had less than 2 months until the final exams. They had given me four classes: two general and two specific. I had to learn these lessons just by relying on myself. I didn’t know the teachers yet, so there was no help from them. Of course, two of my teachers once came to our home and explained briefly the content of the books and determined the chapters which I should read. And that’s all.

I was afraid, but decisive. I had to prove to everyone that I could overcome all the difficulties; not only because of me, but also because of all the people with disabilities whose physical conditions held them back from getting an education.

Therefore, I closed my eyes to the fears and problems and began to study hard. Although I had made great progress in English by then, so that I knew many of the contents of the lessons, there were some new points which I had not learned so far.

To learn these new points, I used ... internet resources; the explanations in my books were not enough. Also, virtual communication with my teachers through email didn’t help so much. It was only helpful to the extent that I could send my assignments to them.

Despite all the difficulties and pressures, I managed to get ready for the final exams in time. My exams were held at home under supervision of an agent from the university. He brought me the questions, and I typed the answers on computer and then printed the answer[] sheets. Although those days I was not very well physically, I could cope with the exams.

One week later, the examination results were determined. They were amazing! My average for the four classes was 19.22; far more than what the Director General of Higher Education had set me as a condition. Therefore, with no more objections, I got [...] absolute permission to continue my education.

However, it was just the beginning and I had a long road in front of me…

Great stuff again, Ida! Most of the changes I made were points of style, not grammar. I would caution you again that the semicolon is used sparingly in published work. Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 04:51 am
@FBM,
So very happy to hear of your successes; accomplishments and success takes much effort, motivation, and fortitude.
HURRAH!
FBM

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks! Ida has been doing very well, too!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/hehe.gif
0 Replies

ida2

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 02:13 am
@FBM,
Thank you my dear teacher Smile
0 Replies

ida2

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 02:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you for your compliment Smile
0 Replies

ida2

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 02:16 am
I had begun a long hard way. It was a real challenge for me. Noting was about me but I was responsible to all the people who provide me with the chance of education. I must not disappoint my parents and waste all their efforts. Moreover, I must do my best as the first person with disabilities who had been granted an unusual permission for education in order to smooth the way for other people with disabilities.

To achieve this purpose, I could not be an ordinary student with average grades. I must be a top student. I had to prove that success could be achieved in any situation and despite I was studying at home without any teachers’ help, I could be better than all the students who attended the classes.

Therefore, I tried my best. I studied almost 9 hours a day for four years in spite of my awful physical condition. Over these four years, I went to hospital many times, so that I spent all the semester breaks there. Despite all these, I graduated as I got top marks. My grade point average was the highest among all the students.

My university held a wonderful graduation ceremony and they honored me for my effort and perseverance. I instead delivered a sensational speech in front of a huge audience; include students and their families, teachers, and university officials and staff. I appreciated all the people who had helped me: my parents, the dean of the university, my teachers and classmates that I had even not seen most of them. I praised the God as well.

However, it was not the end of my efforts. I wanted to benefit from my accomplishments. Therefore immediately after graduating, I began to carry out a plan which I thought about when I had just started the course.

When I was in the first semester, one of my pen-friends acquainted me with a handicapped person, named Joni Earickson Tada. As my friend said, her life was to a great extent the same as mine. She knew that from her book: Joni. In my friend’s opinion we were quite the same, so that she called me as Iranian’s Joni; meant an Iranian copy of her! As a result, she was insistent that I should read her book. At that time, I had just begun writing in a weblog where I tried to help other quadriplegic people. It seemed that Joni and I had a same goal; helping other people with disabilities and conveying to other healthy people the massage that they mustn’t gave in to the life difficulties. Therefore, I was interested in reading Joni’s book and I found I had a lot in common with her.

It was then that I decided to translate her book as my first work as a translator.

To be continued…
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 03:21 am
@ida2,
Ida, I ad mire your perseverance, motivation, and tenacity. Your achievements speak for themselves, and I wish to extend my congratulation. WELL DONE!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 03:24 am
@ida2,
ida2 wrote:

I had begun a long hard way. It was a real challenge for me. Noting was about me but I was responsible to all the people who provide me with the chance of education. I must not disappoint my parents and waste all their efforts. Moreover, I must do my best as the first person with disabilities who had been granted an unusual permission for education in order to smooth the way for other people with disabilities.

To achieve this purpose, I could not be an ordinary student with average grades. I must be a top student. I had to prove that success could be achieved in any situation and despite I was studying at home without any teachers’ help, I could be better than all the students who attended the classes.

Therefore, I tried my best. I studied almost 9 hours a day for four years in spite of my awful physical condition. Over these four years, I went to hospital many times, so that I spent all the semester breaks there. Despite all these, I graduated as I got top marks. My grade point average was the highest among all the students.

My university held a wonderful graduation ceremony and they honored me for my effort and perseverance. I instead delivered a sensational speech in front of a huge audience; include students and their families, teachers, and university officials and staff. I appreciated all the people who had helped me: my parents, the dean of the university, my teachers and classmates that I had even not seen most of them. I praised the God as well.

However, it was not the end of my efforts. I wanted to benefit from my accomplishments. Therefore immediately after graduating, I began to carry out a plan which I thought about when I had just started the course.

When I was in the first semester, one of my pen-friends acquainted me with a handicapped person, named Joni Earickson Tada. As my friend said, her life was to a great extent the same as mine. She knew that from her book: Joni. In my friend’s opinion we were quite the same, so that she called me as Iranian’s Joni; meant an Iranian copy of her! As a result, she was insistent that I should read her book. At that time, I had just begun writing in a weblog where I tried to help other quadriplegic people. It seemed that Joni and I had a same goal; helping other people with disabilities and conveying to other healthy people the massage that they mustn’t gave in to the life difficulties. Therefore, I was interested in reading Joni’s book and I found I had a lot in common with her.

It was then that I decided to translate her book as my first work as a translator.

To be continued…

I had begun a long, hard journey. It was a real challenge for me. Noting was about me, but I was responsible to all the people who provided me with the chance for an education. I must not disappoint my parents and waste all their efforts. Moreover, I must do my best as the first person with disabilities who had been granted [...] unusual permission to get an education in order to smooth the way for other people with disabilities.

To achieve this purpose, I could not be an ordinary student with average grades. I must be a top student. I had to prove that success could be achieved in any situation, and despite the fact that I was studying at home without any teachers’ help, I could be better than all the students who attended the classes.

Therefore, I tried my best. I studied almost 9 hours a day for four years in spite of my awful physical condition. Over these four years, I went to hospital many times, so that I spent all the semester breaks there. Despite all this, I graduated with top marks. My grade point average was the highest among all the students.

My university held a wonderful graduation ceremony and [...] honored me for my effort and perseverance. I [...] delivered a sensational speech in front of a huge audience, including students and their families, teachers, and university officials and staff. I appreciated all the people who had helped me: my parents, the dean of the university, my teachers and classmates, most of whom I had not even seen. I praised [...] God as well.

However, it was not the end of my efforts. I wanted to benefit from my accomplishments. Therefore, immediately after graduating, I began to carry out a plan which I had thought about when I had just started the course.

When I was in the first semester, one of my pen-pals acquainted me with a handicapped person, named Joni Earickson Tada. As my friend said, her life was to a great extent the same as mine. She knew that from her book: Joni. In my friend’s opinion we were quite the same, so that she called me the Iranian Joni, meaning I was an Iranian copy of her! As a result, she was insistent that I should read her book. At that time, I had just begun writing in a weblog where I tried to help other quadriplegic people. It seemed that Joni and I had the same goal: helping other people with disabilities and conveying to other healthy people the massage that they mustn’t give in to life's difficulties. Therefore, I was interested in reading Joni’s book and [...] found I had a lot in common with her.

Your writing continues to be top-notch, Ida. And your story is an inspiration, as well. Very Happy Please let me know if you have any questions about the changes that I suggested.
roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 03:55 am
@FBM,
Noting (nothing) was about me, but I was responsible to all the people who provided me with the chance for an education.

Picky, I know.
FBM

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 03:58 am
@roger,
Good eye, rog. I went right over that.
0 Replies

ida2

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 08:57 am
This is the last episode of my story and I am going to tell you about my today life and my future plans.

Just two days after the last exam of the university course, I began to translate Joni’s book, named “Joni: an unforgettable story”. It was my first work as a translator, so I was not self-confident enough and I afraid I could not do it well. However, I began the work and the more I went along, the more I was confident.

Now, I have just finished the translation of the book “Joni”. I’ve tried my best and I think it is good as a first experience. I am going to find a publisher to publish the Joni’s story.

Also, since I was in the second semester of the course, I have been writing in a weblog where I share my experiences with other quadriplegic people; however, my experiences and information are useful for all the people with disabilities as well as healthy people. Through this weblog, named “Ida: the experiences of a person with spinal cord injury”, I try to raise hope and spirit among handicapped people and make them believe in themselves and tell them that they mustn’t underestimate their abilities. My message for them is, “They can achieve to whatever they want, and disability cannot be an obstacle against their iron will.”

On the other hand, I intend to help all the people. I write about my spiritual experiences and share the results and realities which I have obtained through undergoing sufferings, frustrations, and difficulties. I want to tell them that they mustn’t be frustrated with every apparently difficult circumstance.

Human being is a wonderful creature who is able to do anything in any situation.

Here is the link of my weblog: http://aida.special.ir/

Unfortunately, it is in Persian, so you cannot read it… BUT!

First, I intended to continue writing compositions here after finishing my story, but now I’ve decided to establish another weblog where I can write about my experiences in English. In fact, I want to create an English copy of my Persian weblog, “Ida”.

I am going to begin my new English weblog in a couple of months and I invite you all to follow me there. I intend to write my biography in more details and then I am going to share my medical information and spiritual experiences.

I’d like you, my dear readers, to know that your faithful accompaniment has been very encouraging and I am so grateful for it.

And my special thank belongs to my dear teacher (FBM) who accompanied me step by step, corrected my mistakes, and suggested me efficient, practical points. I’ve learnt from her/him more than any of my teachers. She/ he made me more confident and caused me to made progress in writing. This is exactly what I wanted when I joined this forum. Therefore, I am so glad to find here and know kind people.

I’ll continue my activities in this forum; I love here and also, I still need your help and friendship Smile

As a translator, I intend to work in the field of disabilities; that is, translating just the resources about spinal cord disease and autobiographies of successful handicapped people. Also, one of my purposes is to translate some resources about Medical Ethics. I have had awful experiences in medical centers and hospitals. I am going to write about these experiences in my English weblog as I’ve written about them in my Persian weblog.

I’d be very grateful if you could suggest me such resources.

And I have a question… how can I establish an English weblog? In my country, there are free, online services, such as Blogfa, Blogsky, Persian Wordpress, etc. which simply give you weblog pages. So, where can I request an English weblog from?

In the end, I thank you again for all your favors and wish you all good luck.
Smile

(My dear teacher, please correct this episode as well Smile Do you have any advices for me about writing skill? May I ask you for help sometimes? Can we keep in touch? Thank you for all your favors.)
FBM

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 09:58 pm
@ida2,
ida2 wrote:

This is the last episode of my story and I am going to tell you about my today life and my future plans.

Just two days after the last exam of the university course, I began to translate Joni’s book, named “Joni: an unforgettable story”. It was my first work as a translator, so I was not self-confident enough and I afraid I could not do it well. However, I began the work and the more I went along, the more I was confident.

Now, I have just finished the translation of the book “Joni”. I’ve tried my best and I think it is good as a first experience. I am going to find a publisher to publish the Joni’s story.

Also, since I was in the second semester of the course, I have been writing in a weblog where I share my experiences with other quadriplegic people; however, my experiences and information are useful for all the people with disabilities as well as healthy people. Through this weblog, named “Ida: the experiences of a person with spinal cord injury”, I try to raise hope and spirit among handicapped people and make them believe in themselves and tell them that they mustn’t underestimate their abilities. My message for them is, “They can achieve to whatever they want, and disability cannot be an obstacle against their iron will.”

On the other hand, I intend to help all the people. I write about my spiritual experiences and share the results and realities which I have obtained through undergoing sufferings, frustrations, and difficulties. I want to tell them that they mustn’t be frustrated with every apparently difficult circumstance.

Human being is a wonderful creature who is able to do anything in any situation.

Here is the link of my weblog: http://aida.special.ir/

First, I intended to continue writing compositions here after finishing my story, but now I’ve decided to establish another weblog where I can write about my experiences in English. In fact, I want to create an English copy of my Persian weblog, “Ida”.

I am going to begin my new English weblog in a couple of months and I invite you all to follow me there. I intend to write my biography in more details and then I am going to share my medical information and spiritual experiences.

I’d like you, my dear readers, to know that your faithful accompaniment has been very encouraging and I am so grateful for it.

And my special thank belongs to my dear teacher (FBM) who accompanied me step by step, corrected my mistakes, and suggested me efficient, practical points. I’ve learnt from her/him more than any of my teachers. She/ he made me more confident and caused me to made progress in writing. This is exactly what I wanted when I joined this forum. Therefore, I am so glad to find here and know kind people.

I’ll continue my activities in this forum; I love here and also, I still need your help and friendship Smile

As a translator, I intend to work in the field of disabilities; that is, translating just the resources about spinal cord disease and autobiographies of successful handicapped people. Also, one of my purposes is to translate some resources about Medical Ethics. I have had awful experiences in medical centers and hospitals. I am going to write about these experiences in my English weblog as I’ve written about them in my Persian weblog.

And I have a question… how can I establish an English weblog? In my country, there are free, online services, such as Blogfa, Blogsky, Persian Wordpress, etc. which simply give you weblog pages. So, where can I request an English weblog from?

Smile

(My dear teacher, please correct this episode as well Smile Do you have any advices for me about writing skill? May I ask you for help sometimes? Can we keep in touch? Thank you for all your favors.)

This is the last episode of my story, and I am going to tell you about my present life and my future plans.

Just two days after the last university exam, I began to translate Joni’s book, entitled Joni: an Unforgettable Story. It was my first work as a translator, so I was not self-confident enough and was afraid I could not do it well. However, I began the work and the more I went along, the more confident I was.

Now, I have just finished the translation of the book Joni. I’ve tried my best and [...] think it is good as a first experience. I am going to find a publisher to publish [...] Joni’s story.

Also, since [...] the second semester of the program, I have been writing in a weblog where I share my experiences with other quadriplegic people; however, my experiences and information are useful for all the people with disabilities as well as healthy people. Through this weblog, named “Ida: the experiences of a person with spinal cord injury”, I try to raise hope and spirit among handicapped people and make them believe in themselves and tell them that they mustn’t underestimate their abilities. My message for them is, “You can achieve [...] whatever yout want, and disability cannot be an obstacle against your iron will.”

Human beings are wonderful creatures who are able to do anything in any situation.

Here is the link to my weblog: http://aida.special.ir/

I am going to begin my new English weblog in a couple of months, and I invite you all to follow me there. I intend to write my biography in more detail[], and then I am going to share my medical information and spiritual experiences.

I’d like you, my dear readers, to know that your faithful accompaniment has been very encouraging, and I am so grateful for it.

And my special thank belongs to my dear teacher (FBM) who accompanied me step by step, corrected my mistakes, and suggested me efficient, practical points. I’ve learnt from him more than any of my teachers. He made me more confident and helped me make progress in writing. This is exactly what I wanted when I joined this forum. Therefore, I am so glad to find this place and get to know kind people.

I’ll continue my activities in this forum; I love it here, and also, I still need your help and friendship Smile

Smile

(My dear teacher, please correct this episode as well Smile Do you have any advice[] for me about writing skill? May I ask you for help sometimes? Can we keep in touch? Thank you for all your favors.)

That's awesome, Ida! Yes, of course, we can keep in touch, and I will continue to help you in any way I can. I don't have a weblog, but it is possible to start one in English for free: https://en.wordpress.com/
https://www.blogger.com/home

I will share with you some of the advice that I give my students here:

Listening and speaking are strongly and naturally connected in the brain. Reading and writing are connected.

Therefore, if you want to be a good speaker, you first have to do a lot of attentive listening. If you want to be a good writer, you should first do a lot of attentive reading. You should not focus on listening to improve your writing, nor emphasize reading to improve your speaking.

Ida, since you're focusing on your writing skills, that means that you should spend a lot of time attentively reading what skilled (preferably professional) native speakers write. Since you intend to blog, I recommend reading a lot of blogs written by English native speakers. (They may write informally, though.) When I say "attentively," I mean paying attention to details such as punctuation, collocations, metaphors, idioms, etc, that you think you might use to express your own ideas. For example, in this final episode, I italicised the title of the book you translated: Joni: an Unforgettable Story. However, I left the title of your blog in double quotes. Book titles are italicized, except for scriptures.

I think you might also benefit from one of the online resources that I recommend to my students. The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University is a great one, in my opinion. They have a special section for ESL/EFL learners:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/5/

You're doing great, Ida, and I'll gladly follow your weblog when you get it up and running! Very Happy
ida2

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 12:34 am
@FBM,
My dear teacher, thank you for your useful advice. Thank you for everything.
I’ll let you know when I get my new weblog up.
Smile
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 09:50 am
Wow! What a thread.
I wonder whether I can post my English writing here and get edited by your guys.
FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 10:24 am
@oristarA,
I'll help as much as I can. Please try not to overwhelm me. Wink
0 Replies