Interesting characters on a2k

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 06:43 pm
I really have missed WhistleDickey. He wrote some of the most lovely, sensitive poetry I've read, sublime in the manner of Dickinson and yet he could be as bold as a heroic TV dog like Rinty. I think he's got another 25 years to do for disemboweling his grandmother with a weed-eater.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:45 am
@Ticomaya,
Thanks for including me in the cast of characters Tico.
There's one character (among some others) that was missing:
Ticomaya.
Enjoy his posts when he's not too much of a rightist Pitbull.
A fellow beer aficionado with a big heart.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:39 pm
@panzade,
I second that, panzade Wink
Tico, you are a nice guy - once you leave your political affiliation at the front door. Plus, you and I started ak2 at the same time (Oct. 2004) .

I can't believe no one has mentioned Gustav Ratzenhofer. I am still crying myself to sleep every night after he's left us so abruptly. His wife Gertrude must have put him finally to work. Kicky was a bit flaky and it was bound to happen that he elopes with the first skirt that paid attention to him. From then on we were history.

We had/have some good people here, some left involuntary, others got fed up and the rest is masochistic. Wink
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Gustav Ratzenhofer.

Ahem ...

Ticomaya wrote:
Gus ... for reasons obvious to long-time a2k'ers. Turned me on to the best CCR song ever.

October is our 10th Anniversary, CJ. What is that ... wood?
roger

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm not at all sure Gus and Gertrude had such a formal relationship.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 04:52 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

As long as people are bringing up members who are no longer here, or are rarely here, one gustavratzenhofer is one of the popular ones I could mention. He got me to read You Can't Win, by Jack Black, and The Tortilla Curtain, by T C Boyle. He wrote much nonsense to be humorous, but he had his serious side also.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:02 am
I don't think anyone has as yet mentioned Light Wizard, who passed away much too young. He was the Hollywood insider's insider, more knowledgable about behind-the-scenes Tinseltown than anyone else on A2k (or Abuzz). He left us with ne owing him a dinner which I will now no longer be able to reciprocate. The last time we were in Southern Cal. Seaglass and I met George at an out-of-the-way bistro in Long Beach and he insisted on picking up the tab. Great guy,
panzade

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:13 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I had a great relationship with LW as he was my mentor in all things cinematic.
firefly

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:57 am
@panzade,
Oh, I have very fond memories of Light Wizard too. He was wonderful on the subject of movies.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:02 am
@firefly,
He also knew tons about art and architecture. He knew lighting installation well, helped me by phone once, when I had moved north. Still miss him. Sorry I missed seeing him the last time I was in California; that almost happened but didn't pan out.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:13 am
@panzade,
How could I have forgotten. We enjoyed a bit of a quiet personal relationship, too, and I really appreciated his insights on film. A really sweet, fabulously interesting guy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:29 am
@Lustig Andrei,
LW was one of my favorite posters on a2k. It seems we lose more good contributors and gain more bad ones.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:32 am
MySelf...never made it to A2K...but was a wondrous character over at Abuzz. The day his wife wrote to tell us that he died was my first instance of losing an on-line acquaintance...and I still remember how strange it was to mourn someone from an Internet encounter.

MySelf deserves a mention, even if he never got to A2K...because if he had, he woulda been quite a character here also.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:20 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

October is our 10th Anniversary, CJ. What is that ... wood?

I thought it was Formica Wink
roger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Phony!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 04:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

MySelf...never made it to A2K...but was a wondrous character over at Abuzz. The day his wife wrote to tell us that he died was my first instance of losing an on-line acquaintance...and I still remember how strange it was to mourn someone from an Internet encounter.

MySelf deserves a mention, even if he never got to A2K...because if he had, he woulda been quite a character here also.

I believe the name he used was Himself, Frank.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:11 pm
@roger,
Roger, you and I are coming up to our 12th anniversary.

Have you given any thought to where we should vacation?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:39 pm
I put a picture of Thomas Dunne, who was known to Abuzzards as himself, on one of my threads. Here it is again.
http://static.flickr.com/51/145361236_3259a58a6b.jpg
roger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Gee, I don't know. Not sure I want to travel. I'm already in New Mexico, ya know. Maybe somewhere where I might see what rain looks like.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I believe the name he used was Himself, Frank.

Oh, damn.

A mistake.

And it is only the end of July.

Usually my first mistake doesn't come until fall. Wink

I knew there was something wrong with the name...it just didn't sound right. But could not come up with the right one.

Thanks, Andy.
0 Replies