Interesting characters on a2k

newstep

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 01:47 pm
Everyone has a place. Places change. Even with the anonymity of an Avatar, some don't say what they think. Strange...it recreates society in a way. But why is the question.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 01:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

These are the ones whose virtual company I dearly miss.
newstep

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 01:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
So you're saying that you become emotionally attatched in a way? Excuse my auto-correct..I'm bad to ignore it.
0 Replies

newstep

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 01:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Certainly not new to the internet. Definitively new to online polling/ extraction. This is not spam, since I don't have a product to peddle. This is more a of an observational account of online relationships. You don't have to participate.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 02:14 pm
@newstep,
You mistakenly assume it is anonymity. Many of us have been posting and sharing our daily lives with each other on this forum and in person for over ten years.

Several have traveled to other states and even other countries to meet each other. Some of us are neighbors of each other. Some have attended each other's family events such as weddings, funerals and births.

We are far from just anonymous characters to each other on an internet forum.

You chide us for not being more forthcoming about each other to you, yet go radio silent when asked about yourself, your motives and intentions with these questions.

You admonish us for not gossiping with you about each other after just being here for a couple days. Do your own work and invest your own time in seeking out the interesting characters around here. Read posting histories for yourself and interact with anyone or any subjects you find of interest.

Signed,

Just Saying What I Think

JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 02:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Just Saying What I Think

That's verboten on a2k.
roger

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 03:28 pm
@JTT,
But, what some of us think could be made into a recording and played back on demand. In some cases, a very short, looped recording.
newstep

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 03:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
Not exactly. Wondering what people would say directly about it's members to an outsider. It's part of a sociological equation. One way or another it doesn't affect my views or perspective. I've been studying subjects and forums for a while.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 03:50 pm
@newstep,
Well, we ain't talking, see?
newstep

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 03:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's ok. That in itself is a response.
engineer

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:03 pm
@newstep,
I suggest you just engage and form your own opinions instead of letting others color your views. If you want to report out later, I'm sure we'll find it interesting.
Lash

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:18 pm
Cav, nimh, Craven, Soz, and Dys, who are not here - I learned more from them during my time here than at all other times in my life - also gained a great fount of information from Set, who is here. (dramatically different people, sharing different strengths.)

Beth, Paris, and Rog, who are here. Patient and kind, informative and supportive.

Walter - honorable mention in several categories.

There are many others who added things I sorely needed or enjoyed. I had fun. I learned about myself and the world.

This place and these people altered the course of my life.
0 Replies

newstep

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:33 pm
@engineer,
It's more about impact of non-romantic online relationships than about my personal opinion. Questions such as how are "trolls" handled, responses toward those who are newcomers, affinities etc.
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:45 pm
@roger,
Quote:
But, what some of us think could be made into a recording and played back on demand. In some cases, a very short, looped recording.

I know, Roger, I've read, I read your posts.

How is it that you think 200 plus years can be covered in "a very short, looped recording"?

How is it that there are threads 1000s of posts long about a French guy caught diddling a hotel maid but illegal invasions of sovereign nations and the deaths of millions causes folks to flee like the devil is on their tail.

Forget it Roger, you won't be back; you're in the running as the top one of those dodgers.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:54 pm
@newstep,
I'm yakking too much, but it has been my impression - and my personal feeling - that we welcome newcomers with open arms, unless they **** up royally.

It's not a macro-"closed society'', though the micro-closed happens even to us.

Almost all people here offer 'forgiveness' of initial faux pas, hoping for people to find a basically kind, curious, and friendly method of interacting. Most members are interested in learning, and believe we can learn *something* from everyone. It is only the true horrors of humanity who seem to be here primarily to try to "shock" ( and let me tell you - it takes A LOT to shock anyone here) who get 'ignored.' A few are almost universally ignored because they harp on a very limited view and bring it to every conceivable subject - agenda-driven and relentless...

Most here are friends of freedom of speech and only consign members to silence after repeated, gross attacks on several members...in addition to the afore-mentioned bullshit behavior.

I'm not a spokesperson, but only one. Get more answers from others.
Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:54 pm
Deej is the most interesting person here . . . but he's hard to pin down. He always starts to scream as the pin nears his chest . . .
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:56 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm yakking too much

Yeah, you used to actually say something, Lash. How come you got dumped as a teacher, oops, I mean "educator".
0 Replies

newstep

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 05:07 pm
@JTT,
How do you feel about being "here" and why?
0 Replies

newstep

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 06:19 pm
@Setanta,
Deej ? Is that short for something else?
djjd62

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 06:38 pm
@newstep,
Harold