During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

oristarA

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Then continue to read:

http://i62.tinypic.com/14cuypx.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom#Anglicanism
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:50 am
@oristarA,
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps40254488.jpg

And since you seem to have access to Wikipedia, read the related article about "State religion":
Quote:
A state religion (also called an established religion, state church, established church, or official religion) is a religious body or creed officially endorsed by the state. ... The term state church is associated with Christianity, ... ... ...

Otherwise, any decent history book will be good for this as well. (Perhaps, they mention in it the difference between Great Britain and England as well.)
oristarA

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 06:08 am
It seems I've been tracked by some robots who used to vote me down.
The content of my last post is from wiki and still gets -1. Mr. Green

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 06:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps40254488.jpg

And since you seem to have access to Wikipedia, read the related article about "State religion":
Quote:
A state religion (also called an established religion, state church, established church, or official religion) is a religious body or creed officially endorsed by the state. ... The term state church is associated with Christianity, ... ... ...

Otherwise, any decent history book will be good for this as well. (Perhaps, they mention in it the difference between Great Britain and England as well.)

The title of the thread is right:

Quote:
The Church of England is the officially established Christian church[3][4][5] in England and the mother church of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The church considers itself within the tradition of Western Christianity and dates its formal establishment principally to the mission to England by Saint Augustine of Canterbury in AD 597.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_England
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 07:27 am
If a country is atheistic and loses a war, do its people start going to church?
Just wondering.
oristarA

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 07:31 pm
@George,
Most likely proselytized, politically or religiously.
George

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 06:43 am
@oristarA,
Is that a "yes"?
oristarA

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 07:26 am
@George,
George wrote:

Is that a "yes"?

You've offered only one way, so the answer cannot be a simple yes.

Look at those communist countries. Most of commies, who once declared that they were steadfast atheists, abandoned their belief on Communism, either turned to be money worshippers or going to church or temple to seek divine comfort. Former USSR is an good example here after losing the Cold War to the United States.
George

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:42 am
@oristarA,
Was the loss of the Cold War directly responsible for their going back to
church?
oristarA

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 04:22 am
@George,
It certainly was. Because losing the Cold War directly led to the collapse of the USSR. War is the supreme test of a country, of its people, of the courage, the resolve and the wisdom of them, after all.
George

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 05:58 am
@oristarA,
So . . .

The loss of a war results in an increase of religion (Russia).
The loss of a war results in a decrease of religion (England).
oristarA

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 07:42 am
@George,
George wrote:

So . . .

The loss of a war results in an increase of religion (Russia).
The loss of a war results in a decrease of religion (England).

Good point!

That is exactly what proselytism is all about.

War catalyses the spiritual rebirth.

For a formerly atheist-based country like Russia, the loss of the war catalysed their spiritual rebirth: atheists turned and became theists. That is, an increase of religion.

For a formerly theist-based country like Great Britain, the loss of the war catalysed their spiritual rebirth: theists turned and became atheists. That is, a decrease of religion.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 08:12 am
Why Setanta dares to disdain Jefferson? Because in battles during war, every second you may risk life and death, and Jefferson never took a gun and joined the army in a battlefield. So this veteran is so proud to hold his head high before him (and us). Unfortunately, he holds it higher than he deserves.

He doesn't understand that reconstruction of a country in peace time needs civil services more than military services; needs officials more than officers. Jefferson was more gifted in civil service than John Adams, who did take the gun and join the battles during the Revolution. Electing Jefferson twice was a right choice.

Setanta acts more like a worshiper of mao's thought - "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." He'd like to gun you down, rather than argue you down. If he rules America, he will most likely become a dictator.

In a word: An officer always disdains an official. That is why this veteran Setanta dares disdain this civil President Jefferson, of course improperly and insanely.
George

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 12:59 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
. . . John Adams, who did take the gun and join the battles during the
Revolution . . .
I hadn't read of this.
Was he a general?
oristarA

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 09:02 am
@George,
George wrote:

oristarA wrote:
. . . John Adams, who did take the gun and join the battles during the
Revolution . . .
I hadn't read of this.
Was he a general?

He's a "gunner", wasn't he?

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:11 am
Perhaps Setanta's mottos:

1) Convince people with cannons, not reasons.
2) Shoot first, ask questions later.
oristarA

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 11:34 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Perhaps Setanta's mottos:

1) Convince people with cannons, not reasons.
2) Shoot first, ask questions later.

That is: Setanta's cannon is his canon.
No matter what you say, he will shatter it to pieces, with his cannon, rather than reason.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 11:50 pm
Making clear Setanta's thinking pattern is important. Because reason-based thinking pattern is vital for sustainable development of knowledge and intelligence. There is hardly alternative. Modern science booms because its method is reason-based.

A force-based pattern would simply repeat itself. It is not sustainable in expanding its wisdom and is short-lived. For example:

Quote:
Setanta wrote:
. . . you may explain just how it was that Jefferson, largely a political non-entity at the time of the revolution, . . .

OmSigDAVID wrote @Setanta:
Did the Declaration of Independence have anything to do with the Revolution?? Thay didn't invite ME to write it.

Setanta wrote @OmSigDAVID :
The Declaration of Independence was written by a committee, and it was not original work on Jefferson's part. If you had not simply jumped into the thread looking for an opportunity to pick a quarrel, you'd know that, because Walter has already posted about it.

Yea, I 'm SURE that the Founders went looking for political non-entities at the time of the revolution to write the Declaration of Independence; a condition precedent to eligibility! Right!

Read the thread, pea-brain, rather than just jumping in to try to pick a fight.

It initially seemed to be a decent intellectual conversation between two gentlemen. Naturally, one would hope to learn something from the dialogue. David was in favor of Setanta's political non-entities theory. We expected a reciprocal situation to appear, because the atmosphere was gentle and warm, like a balmy breeze wafted through the words. Yet abruptly, Setanta burst out a harsh tone from nowhere, as if a jarring noise suddenly arose to tear apart a pleasant music - he threw out the nasty word: pea-brain!

I was shocked when I saw him doing this. Was he insulting David? But David agreed with him. Was he insulting himself? For what reason then? The latter seems more likely to me. How about you?

So the mild dialogue came to a halt and frozen since. It may induce one to think that Setanta was perhaps mentally ill. He's not. Just because at the core of his thinking pattern is force. Regardless David agreed him or not, he would always want to mount the high horse to show his non-existent superiority in an intellectual discussion. Why non-existent or short-lived? It all boils down to the unsustainability of a force-based thinking pattern.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 02:39 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Making clear Setanta's thinking pattern is important.
Let me help u to understand what transpired.
Your information has been incomplete. I 'll explain.
Some knowledge of background is necessary.
I 've never met Setanta, except in this forum.
Here, I 've known him for years n years n years.
I have found him to be a bully, guilty of
many years of chronic verbal abuse, tormenting almost everyone,
including myself and including people who are new to A2K.
I 'm comfortable with being confrontational.
I 'm also comfortable with being vindictive.
It can be fun to be a counter-bully.
(That means punitively and vengefully to DOMINATE the bully.)

On approaching a friend, u might give him a friendly
pat on the shoulder; not so Setanta.
In recognition of his ultra-chronic insolence, on socially
approaching Setanta, (figuratively speaking) I knock him off his chair,
throw him on the floor and kick him in the head, just to say "hello".
Then the conversation begins from there.
If Setanta is a cobra, then I am a mongoose. I toy with the serpent.
To be more specific, on encountering him, I expose him to ridicule
in front of his friends. Setanta knew that in my opening remarks
(which u have quoted), I was scorning him. That's Y he accused me
of picking a fight with him.

[As per your expressed desire, I will add corrections in red font.]

oristarA wrote:

Because a reason-based thinking pattern is vital for sustainable
development of knowledge and intelligence, there is hardly an alternative.
Modern science booms because its method is reason-based.

A force-based pattern would simply repeat itself.
It is not sustainable in expanding its wisdom and is short-lived.
For example:

Quote:
Setanta wrote:
. . . you may explain just how it was that Jefferson, largely a political non-entity at the time of the revolution, . . .

Did the Declaration of Independence have anything to do with the Revolution?? Thay didn't invite ME to write it.

The Declaration of Independence was written by a committee, and it was not original work on Jefferson's part. If you had not simply jumped into the thread looking for an opportunity to pick a quarrel, you'd know that, because Walter has already posted about it.

Yea, I 'm SURE that the Founders went looking for political non-entities at the time of the revolution to write the Declaration of Independence; a condition precedent to eligibility! Right!

Read the thread, pea-brain, rather than just jumping in to try to pick a fight.

oristarA wrote:
It initially seemed to be a decent intellectual conversation between two gentlemen. Naturally, one would hope to learn something from the dialogue. David was in favor of Setanta's political non-entities theory.
My agreement was uttered in sarcasm. I was scorning Setanta; provoking him.
He knew that.

oristarA wrote:

We expected a reciprocal situation to appear, because the atmosphere was gentle and warm, like a balmy breeze wafted through the words. Yet abruptly, Setanta burst out a harsh tone from nowhere, as if a jarring noise suddenly arose to tear apart a pleasant music - he threw out the nasty word: pea-brain!

I was shocked when I saw him doing this. Was he insulting David?
Yes; defensively.
I started it, challenging his assertions of history with sarcastic skepticism.

oristarA wrote:
But David agreed with him.
Only ostensibly, superficially.

oristarA wrote:
Was he insulting himself? For what reason then?
I suspect that he knew that I was ready for a ROBUST
examination of his allegations, with less adulation for him than he likes.
That did not come to pass.

oristarA wrote:
The latter seems more likely to me. How about you?

So the mild dialogue came to a halt and frozen since.
It may induce one to think that Setanta was perhaps mentally ill. He's not.
Some of us have speculated that he suffers from Tourette's Syndrome,
but we r not diagnosticians. To his credit, he is not as bad as he was years ago.
Maybe he found a better psychiatrist.
Some have speculated that he is just a nasty drunk that relieves
his tensions in castigation of the members of this forum.
He who approaches Setanta must expect him to BE Setanta.
Be ready for a fight. If u expect that, u can have fun with it.
I am skeptical that he is ABLE to restrain his churlish acrimony.
Everything considered, I 'm glad that he is here
and I 'd be disappointed if he left this forum.
He adds color to it and he is knowledgeable.
A2K woud be less without him.

oristarA wrote:
Just because force is at the core of his thinking pattern. [That's not a complete sentence.]
Regardless of whether David agreed him or not, he would always want to mount a high horse to show his non-existent superiority in an intellectual discussion. Why non-existent or short-lived? It all boils down to the unsustainability of a force-based thinking pattern.
oristarA

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 09:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Looks it's like a self-confession, or a bold show of force by you, Dave. Wink