Snowdon is a dummy

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 04:16 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
You are welcome to that opinion, JPB, but in MY opinion, the Pulitzer was more a political statement than the Nobel.

LOL can just see your reaction if and when Snowden win the Nobel prize as he surely should.

Yeah, some people think he is a hero.

But some think he is a traitor.

I think he deserves a fair trial.

Quote:

Before Snowden the world did not know that the most powerful nation on earth have a completely out of control intelligence community that is threatening the freedom and privacy of it own citizens let alone the rest of the world.

The intelligence community of the most powerful nation on Earth MAY BE doing more to protect the people of the planet than some are willing to acknowledge.

But people like you want to think of the US as crud...so indulge yourself.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 06:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The intelligence community of the most powerful nation on Earth MAY BE doing more to protect the people of the planet than some are willing to acknowledge.
That might be so. And I'm happy for you that you are protected from Merkel,other german politicians and business leaders.
I must stand them.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 07:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
I am fixing to dive down into the inane, the one thing I guess I am good at, but my young granddaughter is sitting on my lap and saw your picture, she pointed and said, "santa clause"

Just thought I would share.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 07:52 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I am fixing to dive down into the inane, the one thing I guess I am good at, but my young granddaughter is sitting on my lap and saw your picture, she pointed and said, "santa clause"

Just thought I would share.

Not inane at all.

I was shoveling snow in front on my house wearing GIANTS regalia (the red rather than the blue form)...and a passing toddler had to be dragged away by his father who kept saying, "No, that is not Santa Claus!"
revelette2

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 03:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Smile Well, I guess if you stuffed a little and ran short around December...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:35 am
@revelette2,
The UK's former defence secretary says, the Snowden files ‘helped Russia to annex Crimea’:
Liam Fox says ‘self-publicising narcissist’ Edward Snowden committed treason with NSA leaks
Quote:
[...]
Set to speak at a Washington conference of the right-wing think-tank the American Enterprise Institute, Dr Fox said Snowden had endangered the lives of British spies and their families – and even facilitated the annexing of Crimea by Vladimir Putin’s Russia.
[...]
According to reports in The Times, Dr Fox said: “Snowden thinks of himself as a cyber-age guerrilla warrior but in reality, he is a self-publicising narcissist.

“Let us not imbue his cowardice with higher motives,” he said. “Let us be clear to the American people and their allies about the threats they now face from enemies inside and out, terrorist and criminal. For once, let’s say what we mean. Let us call treason by its name.”
[...]

Does this or does he mean that we Germans and especially Merkel now face threats because we know about the NSA's activities?
That's, if we are an ally.

If we are not an ally, are we "enemies inside and out, terrorist and criminal"?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Call me! A German satellite and Internet company wants answers from the NSA
Quote:
The small-scale Stellar communications company in Germany is reeling from revelations that it may have been hacked by GCHQ and the NSA. DW travels to the sleepy town of Hürth to try and find out why.
[... ... ...]
And as we part, he makes this appeal to the intelligence services.

"Call me. Call me. Call me. Call my mobile phone and ask me if I'd do something for you. And I'll ask, 'Are you the good guys?' And I'll support you. Right? Because this is what irritates me so much. Are we still the good guys here? Is Germany, is Stellar, am I still a good guy, supporting the right guys?

"Why are you spying on me, you know? It's not necessary."
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Call me! A German satellite and Internet company wants answers from the NSA
Quote:
The small-scale Stellar communications company in Germany is reeling from revelations that it may have been hacked by GCHQ and the NSA. DW travels to the sleepy town of Hürth to try and find out why.
[... ... ...]
And as we part, he makes this appeal to the intelligence services.

"Call me. Call me. Call me. Call my mobile phone and ask me if I'd do something for you. And I'll ask, 'Are you the good guys?' And I'll support you. Right? Because this is what irritates me so much. Are we still the good guys here? Is Germany, is Stellar, am I still a good guy, supporting the right guys?

"Why are you spying on me, you know? It's not necessary."

Yeah, that makes sense. The intelligence communities of the western world ought to only spy on people who do not ask us not to do so.

Makes lots of sense!
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I am not quite sure why you would say NSA would consider German terrorist just because you all know we spy on you. I am not particularly proud of it if you must know, but I don't understand the animosity and the overblown hyperbole surrounding the issue as I have seen on these threads. (I don't understand how the leaks would have caused Russia to annex Crimea either.) However, I do see how one would say Snowden committed treason.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:27 am
@revelette2,
Well, I've written it a couple of times, and various reports I'd quoted and/or linked underlined this: we have
a) a different approach to privacy than obviously the USA has,
but much more important
b) we have a "spying-on-privacy-history" due to the Nazi-period and what the STASI did.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, I've written it a couple of times, and various reports I'd quoted and/or linked underlined this: we have
a) a different approach to privacy than obviously the USA has,
but much more important
b) we have a "spying-on-privacy-history" due to the Nazi-period and what the STASI did.

I think everyone...including the German people...have eventually to come to grips with two important things:

One...a continued erosion of personal privacy is virtually a certainty.

Two...a lose of personal privacy is not necessarily a bad thing.

I understand the German sensibilities in this regard...I expect the sensibilities of the Chinese and Russians are of a similar nature. But our technological progress is making personal privacy a thing of the past...something almost impossible to maintain...

...and it is probably going to be for the benefit of society in general that such be the case.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
This, at least in Germany, is not just a thing of "sensibility".

But it really seems that you Americans don't understand it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Most people don't care ... now about the USA spying on us.
The strategy to demoralise/discourage/confuse seems to work.

Like it do twice before here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Don't feel too badly, Walter. Our government doesn't even trust us Americans.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

This, at least in Germany, is not just a thing of "sensibility".

Right. It is a question of morality and intelligence, right? You Germans are now more moral and intelligent than all the rest of the world?

If not...then what is it that is more than just "sensibility?"

Quote:
But it really seems that you Americans don't understand it.

I do not speak for all Americans...and some undoubtedly fall much closer to your way of thinking than do I.

I suspect that sentence of yours was written, though, with a sort of disdain for America and Americans...and I provided a foil for your prejudice.

You ought to get over that, Walter. It doesn't sit well on you...and you should be much above that.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The only thing Americans understand is force. Send their military bases home, put some of their diplomats in jail for a decade or two, and they'll pay attention to what you have to say. Short of that, nothing will change.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
As said, Americans don't understand it.And especially you, Frank, seem to get not a yota what has happened here between 1933 and 1989.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:42 pm
@Olivier5,
I've met a others, actually, most I've met were different.
And I'd thought that Frank belonged to this group as well.

My bad.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Frank is just growing more and more conservative as he grows older, a natural phenomenon. My point is that Germany (and France, but Holande is a coward) should hit back at the US with actions, not words.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

As said, Americans don't understand it.And especially you, Frank, seem to get not a yota what has happened here between 1933 and 1989.

Well...you are absolutely wrong, Walter. I do know.

And I appreciate your position.

But it is not absolute in Germany. Many people there, according to reports I have read, do not agree with you...and see the actions of America as reasonable.

Unless you are prepared to say there are no Germans who feel that way...your extension above is wrong on its face.