Snowdon is a dummy

oralloy

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 06:55 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
spendius wrote:
You're being legalistic

With justification. I was responding to an untrue claim that the NSA had violated the law.

But I undermined legalism enough to at least make you stop and think. Legalism is a bit like cryogenics.

It is true that if you base your argument on "I don't like what they are doing" instead of claiming that they broke the law, you can avoid squabbling over whether the law was really broken.

But I don't think "I don't like what they are doing" is a very realistic position. All countries spy on each other. All countries have to spy on each other. And when it comes to spying, China and France are worse than we will ever be.

spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
We already knew the NSA was listening.

I know. It is the size of the trawl that has outraged us.

The size is fairly straightforward. The NSA listens to 100% of everything. That's the way it's always been. That's the way it always will be.

spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Exposing the exact tactics used by the NSA only benefits people who are trying to hide from them.

That is not quite true old boy. We have been there and it wasn't very convincing.

Who else benefits from having the NSA's exact tactics exposed?
oralloy

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 06:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
From yesterday's WaPo-blog:
Quote:
An analysis of 225 terrorism cases inside the United States since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks has concluded that the bulk collection of phone records by the National Security Agency “has had no discernible impact on preventing acts of terrorism.”

In the majority of cases, traditional law enforcement and investigative methods provided the tip or evidence to initiate the case, according to the study by the New America Foundation, a Washington-based nonprofit group.

This Snowden scumbag damaged that particular program so much that it is no longer of any value. So the shattered program is being set up as the "sacrificial lamb" to be canceled in order to convince the idiot masses that things have changed and all is well again.

The most important thing now is having the US military kill Snowden. Dump his corpse in the ocean next to where we dumped Usama bin Laden.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 06:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
According to a report in the Süddeutsche Zeitung, the USA won't tell how long they spied Merkel's phone. Additionally, they want to spy on other German top politicians as before.
The paper quotes sources from the German spy agency BND, saying, they want to stop the 'no-spy-talks'.
"Sources in the Chancellery" are quoted, saying that in the next three months or later still some positive results might be possible.

I believe I posted several times in the recent past that, the way Germany behaves towards us, there is no way we will ever stop spying on the German government.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:03 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Sorry Frank but you can not have a free nation when not only are the american people being lied to but congress is also.

Those papers needed to be released in order to help safe guard our freedoms from a run away intelligence community that is far more of a danger to our freedoms and our society then all the terrorists in the middle east.

So, Bill...what does that have to do with the right of Edward Snowden to get a speedy and fair trail????
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:05 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

At least, Nelson Mandela got his fair trail. George Washington didn't and that's a pity. The guy deserved death for being such a traitor.

Ahhhh...another person who thinks Edward Snowden ought not to be allowed a fair trial.

Great box you people are putting yourselves into.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
Why, you think Washington did not deserve a fair trial?

Joan of Arc got hers. Check.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:32 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Why, you think Washington did not deserve a fair trial?

Joan of Arc got hers. Check.

And Edward Snowden deserves his. I do not understand why you people want to deny him one.
spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:34 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Who else benefits from having the NSA's exact tactics exposed?

It's everybody isn't it? If the NSA is weeping it will be crocodile tears. Possibly they got bored with the mundane nature of the mass surveillance, which is understanable, and were looking for a way to get back to the glamorous cloak-and-dagger stuff. Gawping at a screen and seeing how many calls Mrs Doe made to a poodle parlour, and their duration, is not exactly what people go into the NSA for. I could choose a better example relating to Mr Doe but I suppose I oughtn't.

The task is to cover over the hole which the investment in a flawed policy went down, to tamp it level and plant some bushes on it which flower every spring.

Action!! No bureaucratic type will turn his or her nose up at action. The more frantic the better.

Big Brother and his henchpersons will not be happy themselves. Not like free people are happy.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I do not understand why you people want to deny him one.

It is because he doesn't want one you silly moocow. If Snowden wanted a fair trial there's nobody here would deny him getting one.

What makes you think anybody would deny him a fair trial if that is what he wanted? I think there are some who genuinely fear him deciding he does want a fair trial. It would be pretty polarising I should think. And everything would come out which is a necessary condition of a fair trial. As is a jury which represents the average person.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 10:47 am
I wrote about that already yesterday, but now a report in Eglish is online as well. From the DW- Press Review is online as well:
Quote:
German media blast US 'No' to no-spy agreement

After last year's media outrage was appeased by the prospect of a no-spy pact, recent reports that US-German talks are unlikely to lead to binding promises on the US side have once again stoked the German media fire.

In a story that ran under the headline "The US lied to us," the Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ), along with national public broadcaster NDR, reported on Monday (13.01.2013) that the planned no-spy agreement between the US and Germany was on course to fail, according to insiders.

On Tuesday (14.01.2013), the SZ voiced an expectation that US President Barack Obama could make a statement on reforms at the NSA this week, but claimed that these are likely to be "political declarations" rather than detailed agreements. An opinion piece also published in the Munich-based paper on Tuesday poured scorn on US justifications for refusing to come to a binding agreement, for example by pointing out that "The US refusal [to agree to stop spying on German politicians] shows that the fight against terrorism is only an excuse." The daily paper claimed that it was an illusion to think that the spying was an "aberration, an excess of the US intelligence agency alone, and not of US politics in toto", which it concludes must see itself as "above the law."
... ... ...
The weekly news magazine Stern went further in chastizing the government and Angela Merkel's politics in particular. It wrote that by refusing to guarantee that the NSA will stop spying on German politicians and adhere to German law in their missions in Germany, US President Obama has "conclusively downgraded Germany to a second-class ally," and is even labeling the country as a potential enemy. And since Merkel was depending on the negotiations over a no spy agreement to resolve the NSA scandal, Stern concludes that "The German state is not able to protect our civil rights. It can't even protect itself." And if Merkel "doesn't dare" to risk putting transatlantic relations on the line to "put up a fight," the NSA will have won, the newpaper said.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
What are you talking about? We all want Snowden to be given justice. We're just less credulous than you are about the fairness of the US justice system.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:23 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

What are you talking about? We all want Snowden to be given justice.

Well if you do...and if the others do...why are you not seconding my motion that he be returned to the United States to stand trial?

That is giving him justice, right?

Quote:
We're just less credulous than you are about the fairness of the US justice system.

Well...I am not sure about how much less credulous you are...but it sounds to me as though you just want him to get a free pass.

I don't.

He is accused of some VERY serious crimes. As nearly as I can see...he should be able to get the greatest legal representation anyone has ever gotten anywhere...at any time.

And...there will be a jury of free American citizens to pass judgement.

What in hell do you see so bad about that?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Well if you do...and if the others do...why are you not seconding my motion that he be returned to the United States to stand trial?

That is giving him justice, right?
Quote:
The right of asylum (sometimes called political asylum, from the Greek: ἄσυλον)[1] is an ancient juridical concept, under which a person persecuted by his or her own country may be protected by another sovereign authority, a foreign country, or church sanctuaries (as in medieval times)
[...]
The United States recognizes the right of asylum of individuals as specified by international and federal law. A specified number of legally defined refugees, who apply for refugee status overseas, as well as those applying for asylum after arriving in the U.S., are admitted annually.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Impasse at US-Germany 'no-spying' talks?:

Quote:
German media reports of an impasse at US-German talks to avert spying between allies prompted several senior German politicians on Tuesday to suggest diplomatic and economic pressure on Washington.
[...]
Stephen Mayer, the internal affairs spokesman for Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative parliamentary group, told Reuters on Tuesday her government should consider withholding contracts with US firms that operate in Germany.

Mayer said if the talks failed then Germany must contemplate whether "US firms receive government contracts from the German side or public institutions."

"The Americans understand one language very well, and that is the language of business," Mayer said, adding that such a deal could not be seen in isolation from current EU-US free-trade negotiations.
He also told the newspaper Die Welt that an anti-spying agreement should not amount to a "placebo."

Thomas Oppermann, the caucus leader of the center-left Social Democrats, who are Merkel's new coalition partners, said the "failure of the agreement would be unacceptable" and would "change the political character of relations."
... ... ...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 12:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
..why are you not seconding my motion that he be returned to the United States to stand trial?

Because it would be illegal if he was returned against his will. We will all second the motion if "he returns" and not "be returned".

All you need is Parkinson's Law to know where the NSA would be now if we were all still in the dark. And if we remained in the dark indefinitely where the NSA would be at whatever time that implies.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

The US are being accused by Snowden of all sorts of malpractice and therefore they cannot render fair justice: they are just a party to the dispute. The US government deserves a fair trial too...

Quote:
I am not sure about how much less credulous you are...but it sounds to me as though you just want him to get a free pass.

You're wrong. We demand justice and the punishment of Obama and co.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:13 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

The US are being accused by Snowden of all sorts of malpractice and therefore they cannot render fair justice:

How that follow???

If he is tried, he will tried by a jury of his peers.

Quote:
they are just a party to the dispute.

No...they are selected at random.

Quote:
The US government deserves a fair trial too...

Okay...work on that. But Edward Snowden definitely deserves a fair trial...and I champion his right to get one.

Quote:

Quote:
I am not sure about how much less credulous you are...but it sounds to me as though you just want him to get a free pass.

You're wrong. We demand justice and the punishment of Obama and co.

That's what I thought. You want to head a kangaroo court...convict Obama and the United States...and just give Edward Snowden a free pass.

You coulda just said "Yes."
spendius

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
And Apisa might answer all the points being raised at the table rather than just those that offer him a chance to pitch his Simple Simon mantra over and over.

He is using Ignore to avoid answering some of the points being raised which is the purpose of such limp-wristed tactics.

And he is often seen advising others to be "man enough". Another soft-centred strategy.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:35 pm
@spendius,
BRAVO!
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 02:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

BRAVO!

Well...you may say BRAVO...but you are the one putting me on Ignore.

I have only one person on Ignore...JTT. I read all the other posts.

I especially love the posts from the people I own.