Will you be getting a flu vaccine this coming season?

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 01:03 pm
@firefly,
firefly, I get my shots at the hospital I go to for everything else. I suspect that if I had asked about the pneumonia shot, the nurse would have told me I didn't need one. However, you never know. Glad I know, thanks to you.
firefly

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 02:09 pm
@Roberta,
I'm sure that, at the hospital, they would have told you that you didn't need the pneumonia shot, because they have your treatment and vaccination records.

It's really places like Walgreen's and CVS, where a lot of people go for their shots, simply because of convenience, that I think don't do a good job of informing people. But, since Medicare will only pay for a second pneumonia shot if at least 5 years have passed since the first shot, that alone may keep many people from getting unnecessary yearly vaccinations.
0 Replies

carolgreen876

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 06:44 pm
@firefly,
I go into asthma conditions once in a while, so my getting vaccines makes sense to me.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 07:00 pm
Didn't I read somewhere that as people get older the body's response to a vaccine can/might be less strong, since the immune system has weakened?

If that is so, my getting a flu vaccine might just be my whistling in the dark, so to speak; it wouldn't necessarily do the job?

firefly

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 11:47 am
@Foofie,
They brought out a stronger vaccine, Fluzone, for those over 65, allegedly to give better immunity, but it really doesn't seem to be more effective and it can cause more side-effects, so seniors should probably stick to the regular shot unless their doctor advises otherwise.

Even a weakened response to the flu vaccine is still better than not having any protection, Foofie, particularly because this year's flu out-break seems especially bad. The flu outbreaks started earlier and it seems to be a rather nasty strain. But the current vaccine includes that strain, so that's the good news--the shot is likely to be effective in preventing, or diminishing the severity of, the most prevalent strain that's circulating.
Quote:
Flu season is a bad one, but it's not too late to get vaccinated
Jan 4, 2013

This year's flu season is coming on fast and strong, especially in the South and Southeast. The extra bad news: Only about a third of people got vaccinated early this year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The good news: This year's vaccine seems to very effective, there are no reported shortages, and it's still not too late to get it.

The number of people hospitalized by the flu this season is up sharply compared with this time last year, as are the number of children who have died of it, with 16 pediatric deaths reported from October to the end of December. The disease appeared first in Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi back in November, and has since spread into the Midwest and Northeast. And the CDC expects the season to get much worse before it gets better, potentially making it one of the worst flu seasons in the last decade.

Despite that, many people remain skeptical of the flu vaccine. That's a mistake, says Marvin M. Lipman, M.D., Consumer Reports' chief medical adviser. "The benefits of the regular flu vaccine far outweigh any risks," he says. "Thousands of people die from this disease every year. Get your shot now." (If you need more convincing, see our article 12 Reasons For Skipping the Flu Shot Are Exposed)

However, our medical experts do say that most people should avoid the high-dose flu vaccine, Fluzone. The vaccine was approved by the FDA for people 65 and older in 2009, but has not been proved to be more effective, and seems to cause more side effects like headaches and malaise. We think that until there is more certainty that the hoped-for increased effectiveness of Fluzone is worth the somewhat increased incidence of sore arms and other minor side effects, older people should stick with the standard flu vaccine
http://news.consumerreports.org/assets_c/2013/01/FluView_598x436-thumb-598xauto-5851.jpg
http://news.consumerreports.org/health/2013/01/flu-season-is-a-bad-one-but-its-not-too-late-to-get-vaccinated.html

Quote:
Although the early onset doesn’t necessarily portend an epidemic, medical professionals say this year’s strain is particularly severe.

“I think it is much more serious than last year,” said Dr. David Berry, a pediatrician in Blacksburg, Va. “Last year, it was incredibly minor. This is the classic intense flu — headache, body ache, fevers of 103, 104.”...

CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden last month outlined the forecast for the 2012-13 flu season and identified the culprit as the H3N2 strain, a form that, although common, can be serious for young children and the elderly if left untreated. By mid-December, the CDC had recorded 16 pediatric deaths that were associated with influenza....

Officials said they saw the same strain of flu at work during the 2003-04 flu season, the last one to start as early as this year’s. They said that just because the season came early this year, it could peak early as well...

Not only that, contracting the flu can be costly, Dr. Montgomery said. Factoring in doctor visits and medicine, the flu can cost a person upward of $300. A cheaper solution, he said, is a vaccine.

The vaccine produced this year is a good match for the flu that is going around, CDC spokesman Tom Skinner said. But he said people can fall ill to another type of flu strain that the vaccine does not cover or could come into contact with the illness in the few weeks between the time they get the vaccine and the time it takes effect.

“We do know that people who are vaccinated, if they get sick with the flu, they tend to have more milder illness,” Mr. Skinner said. “But each flu is really unique in and of itself. There’s no explanation why we have mild seasons or why we have severe seasons.”
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/3/starting-in-the-south-flu-season-off-to-a-fast-and/#ixzz2HDZWVlP3

It's looking like a bad flu season in Toronto too...
Quote:

Hundreds of cases reported as flu season in Toronto coming into full swing
680News staff
Jan 5, 2013

TORONTO, Ont. – Toronto Public Health says there has recently been a big jump in the number of flu cases here in Toronto.

Combined with what is considered a potent strand and an early start to the season, it could make for a relatively bad flu season.

So far they’ve recorded 449 cases of the flu since early September, which is dramatically higher than the average of 188 for this point in the flu season.

It’s still too early to say if the flu season will turn out worse than the average year, however.

The U.S. Centre for Disease Control, meanwhile, says the flu has hit 41 states.

This makes it the earliest onset of the flu in nearly ten years, with health officials reporting lots of children are getting sick from the current flu.
http://www.680news.com/2013/01/05/hundreds-of-cases-reported-as-flu-season-in-toronto-coming-into-full-swing/

So, anyone who hasn't yet gotten a flu shot, should probably consider getting one now--it's not too late.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 09:41 am
Got my yearly flu shot this Wednesday! How about you guys? Planning to get it soon?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 01:16 pm
Got it I think 2 weeks ago.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 01:45 pm
no clinics advertised yet, usually they start here around mid October
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 05:30 pm
@djjd62,
Got mine yesterday.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 05:53 pm
@chai2,
I got the "packed with 13 strain" vacxine this vry AM.

Maybe Ill become autistic eh?

somebody call the Quahog
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 05:55 pm
Im gonna get a "Booster" next week
roger

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:06 pm
@farmerman,
It needs a booster? I don't recall that from any of my previous flu shots.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:11 pm
@roger,
I'm scheduled for the flu shot on Monday.
roger

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:21 pm
@glitterbag,
I just do a walkin at the Safeway pharmacy. Do you know anything about booster shots, though?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:32 pm
@roger,
then Ill get another booster in your honor.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 05:05 pm
Got my flu shot today.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 04:13 pm
@firefly,
I finally got the flu shot today, Thursday.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 04:16 pm
@glitterbag,
youll become autistic on Friday, SUnday at the latest.
Im Quahog's student . Tomorrow we learn how to make doilies out of prime numbers
glitterbag

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 04:36 pm
@farmerman,
Actually that might work to my advantage, tomorrow I can sleep late and pretend I don't understand anything my husband says. If he persists in asking what we are having dinner, I'll just grab great handfuls of hair and rock back and forth until he gives up and makes reservations. I can miraculously become semi normal until at least after dinner.

(disclaimer, my nephew is autistic and I am painfully aware how difficult it is for the autistic to adapt and sadly these children are often bullied and misunderstood)
chai2

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah, that's like the old trick of faking a seizure in the middle of a department store.

Good times.