Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from Florida

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 12:36 pm
Drunk Florida Man Gets Kicked Out Of Bar, Jumps In River & Swims To Another Bar
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/249/887/2887249/drunk-florida-man-gets-kicked-out-of-bar-jumps-in-river-and-swims-to-another-bar-image-3.jpg
This happened at a great waterfront bar my band plays at: Twisted Tuna in Port Salerno.
People get crazy at the Manatee Pocket where there's 6 bars in a radius of a quarter mile.

http://www.break.com/article/florida-man-gets-kicked-out-of-bar-jumps-in-river-2887246
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 12:43 pm
@panzade,
Hope he's a strong swimmer.
panzade

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 01:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
I heard drunks float well
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 01:16 pm
Man Thinks He's Texting His Drug Dealer, Accidentally Messages Police Captain Instead
More inanity from my 'hood.
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11951862_1029982837012259_7166719266537882410_n.jpg?oh=3fd3622917769b611d69042930fc0c80&oe=566C5478
http://www.wflx.com/story/30008862/man-looking-to-buy-and-sell-drugs-mistakenly-texts-mcsos-narcotics-captain-gets-arrested
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 12:26 pm
Dateline-West Palm Beach
Woman takes food delivery van from homeless outreach group after receiving free breakfast
'Nuff said Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 10:21 am
-- A woman from Port St. Lucie is accused of having sex with her daughter's teenage ex-boyfriend.

Police arrested Heather Phillips on two counts of lewd and lascivious behavior with a victim under the age of 16.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2015/09/22/florida-woman-accused-having-sex-daughters-ex-boyfriend/72627426/
chai2

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2015 12:54 pm
@Linkat,
This from the article...

"The teen even said they had unprotected sex seven times on the night of Sept. 6."

Goodness gracious.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 05:19 am
Woman live streams herself while driving drunk, police say

She is lost, exasperated, and -- by her own admission -- driving very drunk.

The young woman allegedly broadcast her illegal escapade over the weekend on Periscope, an app that allows users to live stream from their phones.

In the shaky video, she says she's drunk and doesn't know where she is going. She also says she thinks she's driving on a flat tire.

Police in Lakeland, Florida, have identified the driver as 23-year-old Whitney Marie Beall. She was arrested and faces a charge of driving under the influence.

"She was out of it. And it's obvious from watching that livestreaming video how bad she was," Lakeland police Sgt. Gary Gross told CNN affiliate Bay News 9.

Officers found Beall, who, in fact, was driving on a flat tire, police said in a statement. Just as a traffic stop was started, her car hit the curb.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/13/us/woman-live-streams-drunk-driving/

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 01:12 pm
A very sad and troubling incident down the road from me.
The community is in a frenzy
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godisnotarepublican/2015/10/when-the-police-turn-someone-you-know-into-a-hashtag-coreyjones/
http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_30320.shtml?wap=0
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 01:58 pm
@panzade,
Damn it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 08:00 am
@panzade,
Cripes! This is beyond sad - as are so many of these police-incident stories which keep repeating. Very difficult job the police have protecting the public but sometimes untrained officers and officers not following proper protocol can be at the root of the problem.

I'm going to follow this story and see how media covers it. so far, I don't hear any other media outlets picking it up beyond this report. I wonder why? Is it media's inefficiency or their cowardice?

That CBS (Ch 12 outlet) has more (police) details about the incident.
Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 08:10 am
@Ragman,
I heard this on my local news last night (Boston news). It seems to me that it is being covered every where - seems odd to me that you would not hear it in the media?
Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2015 08:12 am
@Linkat,
Not odd..just not checking that thoroughly yet. Coffee cup #2 is being sipped.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 11:05 am
Gator thrown in drive-thru window

If you throw an alligator at somebody, should the animal be considered a deadly weapon or a joke? That's what the parents of a Florida man arrested on allegations of doing that want to know.

"(It's) just a stupid prank that he did that's now turning into this," said Linda James, mother of Josh James.

Ed and Linda James said their son is harmless. He's just a "prankster" who is accused of throwing an alligator into a drive-thru window at Wendy's.

"He does stuff like this because he thinks it's funny," Linda James said.

Josh James, 23, has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to do less than murder."

"I don't even get that," Linda James said. "I don't know how that - I don't get it."

They're still waiting to get the details from their son. They said Josh James knew one of the employees working at the Wendy's.

"I mean, how could you not think something like that was a prank?" his mother said.

Wendy's would not give any comment on the 3 1/2-foot gator hurled through the drive-thru window.

Florida Fish and Wildlife used a credit card receipt from a soda Josh James purchased prior to the October incident and tracked him down in December.

It wasn't until Monday the family learned the charges.

"They said, 'Will he cooperate?' I said, 'Absolutely,'" Linda James said. "He's not a bad kid, he's a stupid kid. He did a stupid prank.' He had no problem with turning himself in."

Josh James also faces charges of unlawful possession and transportation of an alligator. The gator was released in a nearby canal.

http://www.ksla.com/story/31177454/gator-thrown-in-drive-thru-window-suspects-mom-says-just-a-prank
panzade

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, saw it on Facebook last night.
In Florida it's called a gratuity.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 06:14 pm
There is a NOT TRUE story making the rounds on the internet about a woman in Florida with the header "400-Pound Woman Survives Sexual Assault By Herd Of Manatees". The story comes from a known hoax site but some people don't scroll all the way down the page to see the fine print.
Still, you gotta admire the imagination. Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 09:52 am
Florida Driver With Screaming Wife On Car Roof Faces Charges

Police say his wife was screaming and banging on the roof of his car, and still a Florida man drove more than six miles before being pulled over.

Richard Addy of Palm City was arrested last week in Stuart, after a night of drinking with his wife, Treasure Coast News reports.

“I’ve been doing this job for over 20 years,” said Police Cpl. Brian Bossio, “and I’ve never seen anything like that before“

The 69-year-old man allegedly told the officer that he and his wife had gotten into a spat after drinking at a couple of bars and he decided to leave without her.

It wasn’t until he was stopped at a traffic light that he said he heard her “banging” on top of his Toyota Sequoia, according to a police report.

Instead of helping her down, Addy allegedly told police that he continued driving because he “did not have cell phone to call the police.”

Of course, Addy had some better alternatives than to continue driving, and that’s why cops are so bewildered.

“Addy stated that he drove to the Martin County courthouse in the hopes of finding police presence,” the report reads.

Addy was arrested on charges of reckless driving and was cited for allowing a passenger to ride outside of a vehicle, the Smoking Gun reported.

The arresting officer noted that there was a “strong odor” of alcohol on his breath.
panzade

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 11:03 am
@Linkat,
And it happened 10 miles from my house....and I never even heard about it Very Happy
Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 02:01 pm
@panzade,
Well it is probably normal news for you guess in florida.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2016 08:23 am
Woman says she was 'sleepwalking' when she broke into St. Augustine home

A St. Johns County woman said she was sleepwalking when she broke into a St. Augustine house and gave herself a haircut.

When the homeowner got back from work Wednesday, she said she noticed a purse she didn’t recognize on her husband’s work bench and saw a back window was busted out.

She called 911.

“If somebody’s in there, I don’t know what they have. I don’t know if they have knives, guns, whatever,” said that homeowner, who said she was so shaken up she didn’t want us to use her name.

“They took the K-9 in, and the dog found her in my master bathroom,” she said.

The incident report from the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office said Leslie Allen had ransacked the house and piled up baby toys, clothes and formula into a bassinet as if she intended to steal them.

“I mean, it’s stupid. Low life,” said the homeowner.

And she said Allen gave a strange excuse when deputies brought her out of the house.

“I’m like, what are you doing in my house? And she said she was sleepwalking. And I told her that she’s lying. And they took her to the car,” said the homeowner.

Deputies said Allen seems to have used the family’s hair clippers in the bathroom to give herself a haircut.

The report also said Allen left her dentures, bra, jeans and other possessions in the bathroom, and the purse she left on the workbench was full of drugs.

Allen faces four felony and two misdemeanor charges.