bobsal u1553115

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:34 am
GOP Rep. Richard Hanna: I'll vote for Clinton; first House member to cross party line

Source: The Post-Standard

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- U.S. Rep. Richard Hanna, a three-term Republican, said Tuesday he will vote for Hillary Clinton for president because Donald Trump is "unfit to serve our party and cannot lead this country."

Hanna becomes the first Republican member of Congress to publicly declare he will vote for Clinton in November.

Other GOP members of Congress have refused to endorse Trump, but until now none had promised to vote for his Democratic opponent.

Hanna announced his decision Tuesday morning in an op-ed and interview exclusive to Syracuse.com. The retiring congressman previously said he could never support Trump, but he had stopped short of backing Clinton.

Read more: http://www.syracuse.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/08/gop_rep_richard_hanna_says_hell_vote_for_hillary_clinton.html#incart_m-rpt-1
0 Replies

parados

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:25 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

The 2008 Michigan primary is a perfect example of this.

This is an example that you proves don't know what the right to vote even means.

Quote:
You mean present a CCW license when requested to present it? Sure.
When the government requests that ID EVERY time you plan to carry then you will be close to what the GOP is doing to restrict voting rights.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:42 am
This Republican Congressman is the first to dump Trump and pledge his vote to Hillary.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:41 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160802-history-in-the-making_zpsnzpgfylf.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:42 pm
https://i.imgsafe.org/11540819a6.png
bobsal u1553115

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:43 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co2pVCvWIAAwXRk.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:47 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/Co0SZ8LUMAAmZkc_zpsykxvjis1.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:51 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't know why there wasn't a collective gasp when Trump said he always wanted to get a purple heart. Frankly, I was horrified.
cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 06:54 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
We know Trump has lost the majority of republicans who will not vote for him, and that 36% who continues to support him are the older, white, uneducated.

The educated white folks need to educate the uneducated whites about Trump.
Blickers

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Don't worry, let Trump talk some more and even the whites without a college education will figure out they don't like Trump.
Blickers

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:08 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/Co0SZ8LUMAAmZkc_zpsykxvjis1.jpg

Quick-someone open a window. Trump just laid a friggin' bomb!
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:20 pm
@Blickers,
Tell me about it, Trump is the democrats gift from republicans that keeps on giving.

Ivanka Trump Responds After Being Dragged Into Debate on Sexual Harassment

Quote:
Ivanka Trump, 34, is many things: a mother, an executive and an entrepreneur who has a prominent role in the Republican presidential campaign of her father, Donald J. Trump.

Now, because of comments by Mr. Trump and one of her brothers, she has been cast in perhaps an unfamiliar role: an unwitting figure at the center of a debate on social media about how a woman could — or should — respond to sexual harassment on the job.

The issue came up in an interview Mr. Trump had with USA Today that was published on Monday. A columnist asked him about comments he made on “Meet the Press” on NBC about the sexual harassment case that led to the ouster of the powerful Fox News chairman and chief executive Roger Ailes.

Mr. Trump, who has himself faced strong criticism for his own behavior toward and comments about women — including derogatory and sexually charged comments about their bodies — said it was “sad” that former Fox News employees were “complaining” about being sexually harassed, and he appeared to question the truthfulness of their claims.

When the columnist, Kirsten Powers, asked what would happen if Ivanka Trump faced similar treatment, he replied, “I would like to think she would find another career or find another company if that was the case.”

Quote:
In an emailed statement on Tuesday, Ms. Trump did not respond directly to the comments of her brother or father, but said: “Harassment in general, sexual or otherwise, is inexcusable. At our companies, we do not tolerate harassment of any kind. Our policies both on paper and in practice require that every complaint be fully investigated and if claims are substantiated, our H.R. team takes swift disciplinary action.”
bobsal u1553115

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:24 pm
Top Maine Republicans not attending Trump rally

Source: Bangor Daily News

When Donald Trump comes to Maine on Thursday, some big-name Maine Republicans won’t be there.

U.S. Sen. Susan Collins isn’t going. She’ll be visiting her stepdaughter in Idaho.

It appears U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin won’t be there either. Poliquin declined Tuesday to say whether he was going.

However, no answer means a no-show “unless Poliquin plans to be a surprise guest” at Trump’s rally, said Jim Melcher, a political science professor at the University of Maine at Farmington.

<more>

Read more: https://bangordailynews.com/2016/08/02/politics/elections/top-maine-republicans-susan-collins-not-attending-donald-trump-rally/?ref=regionstate
cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Why do these republicans support Trump who has only been successful in splitting their party? Don't they have gray matter upstairs any more?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 3 Aug, 2016 05:26 am
Meg Whitman, Calling Donald Trump a ‘Demagogue,’ Will Support Hillary Clinton for President

Source: The New York Times

Meg Whitman, a Hewlett Packard executive and Republican fund-raiser, said Tuesday that she would support Hillary Clinton for president and give a “substantial” contribution to her campaign in order to stop Donald J. Trump, whom she berated as a threat to American democracy.

...snip...

She revealed that Mrs. Clinton, the Democratic nominee, had reached out to her in a phone call about a month ago, one of the first indications that Mrs. Clinton is aggressively courting Republican leaders. While acknowledging she diverged from Mrs. Clinton on many policy issues, Ms. Whitman said it was time for Republicans “to put country first before party.”

Using remarkably blunt language, she argued that the election of Mr. Trump, whom she called “a dishonest demagogue,” could lead the country “on a very dangerous journey.” She noted that democracies had seldom lasted longer than a few hundred years and warned that those who say that “it can’t happen here” are being naïve.

Ms. Whitman also said she “absolutely” stood by her comments at a private gathering of Republican donors this year comparing Mr. Trump to Hitler and Mussolini, explaining that dictators often come to office through democratic means.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/03/us/politics/meg-whitman-hillary-clinton.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 3 Aug, 2016 05:46 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Frankly, I was horrified.

I am shocked he accepted it and even more so over his talking about "his" Purple Heart he thinks he's earned.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 3 Aug, 2016 05:48 am
US election 2016: Republican divisions grow over Trump

32 minutes ago
From the section US Election 2016

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36962942

Fresh divisions are emerging within the US Republican Party over its presidential candidate Donald Trump.

Republican donor Meg Whitman has endorsed his rival Hillary Clinton, saying Mr Trump's "demagoguery" had undermined the national fabric.

Senior party activist Jan Halper-Hayes told the BBC she thought Mr Trump was "psychologically unbalanced".

In the latest controversy, Mr Trump has refused to support two senior figures in his own party.

In an interview for the Washington Post, he said he was "just not quite there yet" when asked if he would endorse House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senator John McCain, who are up for re-election in November. Both men have publicly criticised him.

Mr Trump's campaign has been marked by a series of controversial statements.

Ms Whitman, writing on Facebook, said that to vote Republican out of party loyalty alone "would be to endorse a candidacy that I believe has exploited anger, grievance, xenophobia and racial division".

"Trump's unsteady hand would endanger our prosperity and national security. His authoritarian character could threaten much more," the Hewlett-Packard executive said.
Image copyright AP
Image caption Meg Whitman is a senior Republican Party fundraiser and donor

Dr Halper-Hayes, vice-president of Republicans Overseas Worldwide, told the BBC's Today programme that she was "very concerned" about Mr Trump's behaviour, although she would not go so far as to endorse Mrs Clinton.

"I think there is an element of him that truly is psychologically unbalanced, and I feel very guilty for saying this because I'm a Republican and I want the Republican ticket to win," she said.

"But Donald is out of control right now and he's not listening to anyone."

Dozens of senior Republican Party figures have already said they would not vote for Mr Trump, including the party's 2012 nominee Mitt Romney and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush.
Muslim soldier row

New York Representative Richard Hanna became the first Republican member of Congress to publicly say he would vote for Mrs Clinton.

On Monday, Sally Bradshaw, a top adviser to Jeb Bush, said that Mr Trump's candidacy had convinced her to leave the Republican Party.

Many Republicans opposed to Mr Trump have stopped short of supporting Mrs Clinton, saying they would vote for a third candidate instead.

However, former Republican congressman John LeBoutillier told the BBC's Newsday programme he believed many Republican politicians would back Mrs Clinton.

"Now I think in private a lot of Republican congressmen are going to vote for Hillary, they can't stand Trump," he said.

The property billionaire has been heavily under fire for criticising the parents of a US Muslim soldier killed in Iraq.

Speaking at the Democratic convention last week, the soldier's father, Khizr Khan, lambasted Mr Trump over his plan to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the US.

Mr Trump responded by attacking the couple - who are called in the US a "Gold Star" family, the term for those who have lost a close relative in war.
Image copyright AFP
Image caption Khizr Khan spoke out against Mr Trump's policies at the Democratic National Convention

Democratic and Republican leaders as well as veterans' groups quickly rounded on him.

The row also led US President Barack Obama to make his strongest comments yet on Mr Trump, saying he was "unfit" to serve as president.

"The notion that he would attack a Gold Star family that made such extraordinary sacrifices... means that he is woefully unprepared to do this job," Mr Obama said on Tuesday.

In response, Mr Trump dismissed President Obama's time in the White House as a "disaster".

"He's been weak, he's been ineffective... the worst president, maybe, in the history of our country", he said in a Fox News interview.

Mrs Clinton has been actively courting moderate Republicans. A Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll suggested she had extended her lead over Mr Trump to eight percentage points, from six points on Friday.
Republicans not voting for Mr Trump

Barbara Bush, former first lady
Jeb Bush, former Florida governor, 2016 presidential candidate
William Cohen, former secretary of defence
Jeff Flake, Arizona senator
Lindsey Graham, South Carolina senator, 2016 presidential candidate
Larry Hogan, Maryland governor
John Kasich, Ohio governor, 2016 presidential candidate
Mark Kirk, Illinois senator
Mitt Romney, former Massachusetts governor, 2012 Republican presidential nominee
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Florida congresswoman
Ben Sasse, Nebraska senator

Republicans voting for Mrs Clinton

Richard Armitage, former deputy secretary of state
Hank Paulson, former treasury secretary
Brent Scowcroft, former national security adviser
Richard Hanna, New York congressman
Meg Whitman, party donor and fundraiser
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 3 Aug, 2016 05:55 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 3 Aug, 2016 06:29 am
Top Chris Christie aide says she'll support Hillary Clinton
Source: CBS News

One of Chris Christie's former top aides, Maria Comella, said Tuesday that she won't be voting for Donald Trump, although her old boss is supporting the GOP nominee and running his presidential transition team.

"I'm voting for Hillary Clinton in November and I'm voting for her because I don't believe it's enough to say you aren't for Donald Trump," she said in an email interview with CNN's Jamie Gangel. Comella, who worked for Christie through both of his gubernatorial campaigns, went on to say that "we are at a moment where silence isn't an option."

Comella said Trump's response to criticism by a Muslim American couple whose son was killed in the Iraq war didn't come as a shock to her, since throughout the election, Trump has been a "demagogue" who has been preying on "people's anxieties with loose information and salacious rhetoric, drumming up fear and hatred of the 'other.'"

On Tuesday, Christie, too, was also asked about Trump's remarks about the Khans -- he wouldn't weigh in on Trump, but the New Jersey governor flatly rejected the idea of attacking the grieving couple.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-chris-christie-aide-says-shell-support-hillary-clinton/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 3 Aug, 2016 06:34 am
Top Chris Christie aide says she'll support Hillary Clinton

Source: CBS News

One of Chris Christie's former top aides, Maria Comella, said Tuesday that she won't be voting for Donald Trump, although her old boss is supporting the GOP nominee and running his presidential transition team.

"I'm voting for Hillary Clinton in November and I'm voting for her because I don't believe it's enough to say you aren't for Donald Trump," she said in an email interview with CNN's Jamie Gangel. Comella, who worked for Christie through both of his gubernatorial campaigns, went on to say that "we are at a moment where silence isn't an option."

Comella said Trump's response to criticism by a Muslim American couple whose son was killed in the Iraq war didn't come as a shock to her, since throughout the election, Trump has been a "demagogue" who has been preying on "people's anxieties with loose information and salacious rhetoric, drumming up fear and hatred of the 'other.'"

On Tuesday, Christie, too, was also asked about Trump's remarks about the Khans -- he wouldn't weigh in on Trump, but the New Jersey governor flatly rejected the idea of attacking the grieving couple.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-chris-christie-aide-says-shell-support-hillary-clinton/
0 Replies