Walter Hinteler

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 10:55 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I would assume that they were talking about a sign or something.
A sign of "genitalia of a different gender from that for which the facility is segregated"?
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 11:06 am
This one is for Trump the clown with love from Europe !

0 Replies

Builder

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 04:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I read the original bill and didn't see anything about checking. I would assume that they were talking about a sign or something.

I read the bill as well. The concern is, how the bill could be interpreted, and the article quoted was clear about that.

Quote:
...if truly based simply on genitalia, this could have the awkward side-effect of making it a legal requirement to check the vaginas of every woman trying to go to the bathroom, and examine the penis of every man.

Some activists have theorised that to turn trans people away in a compliant manner, the law would technically require the appointment of a ‘genital checker’ at every bathroom seeking to enforce such rules.

Sarah Warbelow of HRC said: “We urge all fair-minded people across the state to demand their lawmakers immediately stop these offensive assaults on fairness and equality, and we call on the Senate to vote down these dangerous measures if they come to a vote on the floor.”

It simply highlights the hypocrisy inherent in the party, as epitomised by the adulation being heaped upon a hypocrite, the likes of Trump. Though not limited to just his record, or actions, of course. Hypocrisy seems rather entrenched.....

If you'd read the article, you might have seen this, right at the end.....

Nick Duffy
5th February 2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Washington state Republican Graham Hunt, who has led the charge in the anti-trans movement, was recently forced to resign after it emerged details of his military career had been fabricated or embellished.
Brandon9000

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
I would assume that they were talking about a sign or something.
A sign of "genitalia of a different gender from that for which the facility is segregated"?

I did not see anything about examining people in the bill.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:34 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
I read the original bill and didn't see anything about checking. I would assume that they were talking about a sign or something.

I read the bill as well. The concern is, how the bill could be interpreted, and the article quoted was clear about that.

If you'd read the article, you might have seen this, right at the end.....

But wasn't it your claim that the bill itself proposed these checkers?
ehBeth

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:45 pm
@Olivier5,
I'm hooked on it now.

(and he looks better with that hair off his face)
ehBeth

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:47 pm
@Builder,
What is it with American politicians and other people's bodies? it's ridiculous
cicerone imposter

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 11:09 pm
@ehBeth,
I wish that was the only ridiculous thing in American politics.
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 01:52 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
But wasn't it your claim that the bill itself proposed these checkers?

Nope; that was the article's claim. I simply added that "who would do the checking? The TSA?> After years of cavity searches and baggage checks, the TSA haven't found a single terrorist threat, but they have been up on charges of theft about five thousand times. (CF)

My point was (and I made that clear, I thought) that republicans are grasping at straws at anything divisive, or of shock value, and that is all that they've got. There's no solid ground to their policies. Just shock and awe.

Not that Dillary is any different, but what could one expect from that thing?

Builder

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 01:59 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
What is it with American politicians and other people's bodies? it's ridiculous

Divide and conquer. The old same-sex marriage issue is failing to raise an eyebrow lately, and there's so much dirt coming out about both protestant and catholic paedophilia, so what can they use to raise the hackles of the devout? I know....(drum roll) let's attack transgender folks. Nobody could possibly like them, or want to share a public toilet with them, right?

The real problem with American politics (and Australian, at this point in time) is that money is flooding in from all corners. Greedy narcissistic wannabes are flocking to the easy money. It's really that simple. And if they already have enough money, like the Trumpet, they just want their egos massaged with more money. Narcissism is a disease. They've all got it. A mental disorder.

It's well documented, although the psych department long ago gave up on finding a cure.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 02:54 am
@Builder,
"I would bring back waterboarding," Trump said Saturday night in New Hampshire. "And I would bring back a hell of a lot worse."

My suggestion: there are some really better examples to watch a bit further south, in Salem, MA. Just in museums, but nevertheless ....
Olivier5

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 03:26 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I'm hooked on it now.

(and he looks better with that hair off his face)

Yes it's slightly adictive. A friend said he trumped the Donald for half an hour... I like the eyes rolling very much.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 04:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

"I would bring back waterboarding," Trump said Saturday night in New Hampshire. "And I would bring back a hell of a lot worse."

My suggestion: there are some really better examples to watch a bit further south, in Salem, MA. Just in museums, but nevertheless ....

Ahhhhh swell, the crowd cheered when he said he would use 'enhanced interrogation techniques' I weep.
Builder

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 04:30 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Ahhhhh swell, the crowd cheered when he said he would use 'enhanced interrogation techniques' I weep.

There's a malaise, a turbulent undercurrent of absolute hatred, bubbling and frothing, rather unchecked by rational thought.

I'm positing that Murdoch's press is delighted by this.
cicerone imposter

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 12:04 pm
@Builder,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding
Builder

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 09:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm familiar with the technique, but it's not a patch on what the CIA used on the Iranian dissidents during the Shah's rule.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 04:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I believe that torture should never be present in any interrogation by Americans and that this proposal by Trump is absolutely wrong. However, let's at least remember that some of our adversaries cut their prisoners' heads off, and generally show no restraint at all in the way they treat prisoners of war.

Yes, yes, what they do shouldn't dictate what we do. I get it. It does give some perspective, though.
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 02:00 pm
Water boarding, or any torture for that matter, reliabily returns false positives.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 04:02 pm
I don't think we need to torture anyone anymore either. It is unreliable, it's dangerous, it's stupid.

Drugs are the way to go these days.
glitterbag

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 09:55 pm
@McGentrix,
Have you ever worked as an interrogator when we still honored the Geneva Convention? Or even worked with them or knew them as co-workers?
0 Replies