Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 09:34 am
@Setanta,
what? He says hes against war. That proves it! sorry-SHE, BFD
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 09:07 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"honor", and an entire system of government that is based upon an assumed subservient and subhuman status of others has no logic with which to even justify its being. So why try ?

My point was that from a sociological view, before Blacks moved in great numbers to the North, they assimilated the Southern (poor white) culture, to the point that Northerners thought that a Black culture was being seen up North. However, Northerners might have really been seeing a poor Southern white culture that Blacks in the South learned quite well in the ante-Bellum South. I would guess that many a Southern white would enjoy a nice slice of sweet potato pie and ribs, not just Blacks in the North.

When Russians/Ukranians started coming in great numbers from the ex-Soviet Union, I was surprised that they had a lot of ways like my family that came during the Czarist era (food preferences and even mannerisms). For all the antipathy to Russian Jews, from Russians, the Russian Jews apparently assimilated a lot of the Russian culture.

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 09:47 am
@Foofie,
my family allso, same area. Mine had the additional benefit of becoming Christian (they were originally Jews) to avoid the pogroms.

I think your view of Southern history goes a bit counter from what happened. Blacks were "imported" like cordwood..Those that ""enjoyed" poor white standards had first to escape. There were actually a number of Black freemen in the South. Turns out that they were pretty badass slave holders themselves.

The "honor" honorific in ante bella times was based almost on a Biblical dictum that GOD hisself declared than blacks were subhuman and the whites were actually helping them evolve via their natural state , which was slavery.

THATS the basis of the Confederacy Cornerstone. That point is boldy and repeatedly in CSA writing
Foofie

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 10:06 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

my family allso, same area. Mine had the additional benefit of becoming Christian (they were originally Jews) to avoid the pogroms.

I think your view of Southern history goes a bit counter from what happened. Blacks were "imported" like cordwood..Those that ""enjoyed" poor white standards had first to escape. There were actually a number of Black freemen in the South. Turns out that they were pretty badass slave holders themselves.

The "honor" honorific in ante bella times was based almost on a Biblical dictum that GOD hisself declared than blacks were subhuman and the whites were actually helping them evolve via their natural state , which was slavery.

THATS the basis of the Confederacy Cornerstone. That point is boldy and repeatedly in CSA writing

My time in the military, during the Vietnam Era, taught me that Southern whites usually did not buddy up to any Northerner. The Blacks from the South got along with Blacks from the North. Northern whites just treated each other based on their individual personalities. So, seeing how insular Southern whites were, I figured they should be given a wide berth, and just talk to whites with no drawl. The Blacks stayed away from whites also. And I thought different ethnic neighborhoods reflected divisions in a population? Little did I know the country had its own Maginot Line called the Mason Dixon Line. My opinion only.

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 10:33 am
@Foofie,
I never saw any of that. I work all over the country in mining and see the coal miners of Wyoming pretty much the same as those from Mingo West Virginia or Harlan Ky.

Try to find me a native Floridian. "Crackers " are there but awful thin.

We have po whites all over. I live ppretty much ON the MAson Dixon (Laqncaster Co Pa) soma my best fishin buds are from Maryland.
Even though the Civil War "Started in Pa with invaders from Marylqnd"
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:18 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

"Anti-bellum" ? ! ? ! ?

Miller, you are such a f*cking idiot.

Am I now?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 02:51 pm
@Foofie,
I'm not getting in the middle of this, but the fact that your comment was voted down only shows me nothing has changed since I've been gone.

I guess you were supposed to bow and scrape to Setanta.

Sheesh
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 05:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Is Foofie a gnome de ploom for Miller?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 06:29 pm
The proper term is sock puppet. No one is obliged to believe it, and certainly not that snide son of a bitch Finn, who only comes here to demonstrate his moral superiority to anyone who doesn't think as he does.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 06:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
How was the trip?

You seem to be of a sweeter disposition.
Foofie

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 10:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not getting in the middle of this, but the fact that your comment was voted down only shows me nothing has changed since I've been gone.

I guess you were supposed to bow and scrape to Setanta.

Sheesh

You might not know the history between our two ethnic groups. Setanta, as he has stated, was born in the Bronx, NYC. That borough, at that time was inhabited by Jews and Irish predominantly. In the late 19th century, when Jews and Irish lived in the Lower East Side (a la tenements), the two groups were mostly contemptuous of each other. However, the Irish having an interest in local politics took over the famous Tammany Hall by the turn of the 20th century, and were heavy into civil service jobs, and manual labor jobs. They unionized many of those jobs. Jews tended to be just small entrepreneurs, or in the needle trades. Time passed, and both groups saw following generations get college educated and become middle class. However, when one goes to Manhattan, one sees cornerstones on buildings with the names of Jewish Real Estate moguls. My point is individual Jewish families own real estate in Manhattan. Gentiles own real estate in Manhattan through the Episcopal Church or the Roman Catholic Church. Meaning, Jews seemed to parlay their efforts over the past century and a half. The other groups just moved in to higher paying salaried positions. So, that might be a source of irritation to those Gentiles that realize, on some level, that Jews in this country have shown a greater affinity for utilizing a capitalist system.

But, regarding Setanta, we will never be friendly towards each other, since in my opinion, that the U.S. is really owned and run by white Protestants. And, they had 500 years of literacy to develop their epigenome to be smarter on average than many a Catholic, in my opinion. Many Catholics are still not as upwardly mobile as Jews or Protestants, I believe.

And here's Top Secret Hebrew. The only Catholics that Jews tend to be friendly with are Italian-Americans. Possibly since many Italian-Americans have memories of Irish being hostile to them over the decades, or that Jews and Italian-Americans have more in common (i.e., not needing to drink at every occasion) than Irish and Italian-Americans?

Regardless, don't look for Jews and Irish to be great friends en masse, any time soon. Too much water under the bridge, so to speak. The fact that they might both be loyal Democrats makes me just scratch my head.

Now none of the above might apply to Setanta, the mighty poster. It is just for your NYC sociological pleasure.

P.S. When I was a child, NYC had one of three New Yorkers being Irish or Irish-American. Jewish New Yorkers were one in four. That equates to 58% of NYC represented just two ethnic groups. Italians were about 15%, and Blacks only 10%. Puerto Ricans then were just 5%. That totals to 88%. The remaining 12 % were a mixture of a few different ethnic groups (Poles for example, and white Protestants). Compare that to pre-1850 NYC where almost everyone, other than free Blacks, were white Protestant. Today about 67% of NYC is non-white. Jews are only 10%, and Italian-Americans are 15%, and the remainder are mainly the transplants from elsewhere that are better known as hipsters mainly.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 12:41 pm
@farmerman,
It was wonderful.

I was able to go off my high blood pressure meds.

Still I seem to have an unfortunate need to engage with nasty bullies (three times a broken nose as a result) and smug and sanctimonious prigs.

I'm not sure I'm back for long (not that anyone should care), but for now it's fun.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 12:52 pm
@Foofie,
Both my parents grew up in NYC

My father could trace his roots back to Pre-Revolution NY

My mother was the daughter of parents who came off the boat from Ireland and Norway in the late 1800s

I know my mother's family hated Italians, in part, because they swore (and I have no reason to not believe them) that one of their uncles (Some sort of boatmen operating out of Sheep's Head Bay), was killed by the Mafia when he refused to pay protection money.

Now their Irish father was the sterotypical drunken lout (truly a monster, but then he was sold to a childless Aunt in American by his mother who remained in Ireland) so I think they self-indentified a lot more with the Norwegian heritage of their saintly/stoic mother.

In any case, none of them ever displayed a whiff of anti-Semitism, or any racism towards Negroes. Perhaps their hatred for Italians consumed all the negative emotions they could muster for another group.

You are an odd (but obviously intelligent) duck Foofie and I like you for that, but this thing you have about gentiles, of any ethnic background is a bit much to take.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 12:55 pm
@Setanta,
I'm so glad you are not among those who have left this forum.

You're the black hole of A2k
Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 01:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I so thrilled see that that doesn't impair your enthusiasm for snide, insulting remarks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 02:51 pm
By the way, i made a comment about the Miller/Foofie sock puppet, and Finn made his own decision to stick his nose in, while saying he wouldn't stick his nose in. Then he calls me a "black hole," and will probably claim, as he has done many times in the past, that he tries to be civil to me, but i won't have it. His hypocritical effrontery is amazing.

I had a look at the latest bullshit Miller/Foofie puked up. A more tarnsparent attempt to pick a fight i could not imagine. Not only have the Irish been literatre longer than the Anglo-Saxons and many of the Germans, it was Irish missionaries who brought christianity to the Anglo-Saxons, and many Germans in central Europe. Not that i would expect anyone to be grateful for that dubious gift--i just thought i'd point out how Miller/Foofie will make up any vile **** about other people in the hope of getting an angry response. In particular, she hates African-Americans and Irish-Americans. It is my opinion that she created the Foofie sock puppet in order to make the nasty and hateful remarks in a failed attempt to keep an image of gravitas, after having unveiled her racism with remarks about Deval Patrick when he was running for governor. I think she believes she can keep her skirts clean and lash out with the Foofie sock puppet. As her remarks about "transvisites" shows (that was posted from the Miller account), sometimes she just loses it.

It's hilarious to see Miller/Foofie sneering about other people's education after a gaffe like "anti-bellum" or her recent tirade against homosexuals and others when she condemned "cross-dressers and transvisites." I suspect that Miller is actually a lowly member of support staff at the fringes of the medical profession, maybe a lab tech or a nurse's aide. She attempts to glorify herself by posting here and attempting to stake out medical expertise.

Ask old time Abuzzards about Dr. KaK.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 04:47 pm
@Setanta,
I've never thought of you as a "black hole", often though as a fairly hot-tempered, irritable guy, but a very interesting, insightful one, gifted with a very favorable value/**** ratio. A2K appears to be losing quality and in danger of becoming a wasteland. That makes you stand out all the more here.

Interesting speculations about Miller/Foofie. I hadn't thought about that, but I'm a bit slow about such things.

I hope you are well.
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:51 am
@georgeob1,
Yes, i am reasonably well for someone creeping up on death, as are we all. Thank you. I would say that you, like so many others, just wish i were losing my temper.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 06:13 am
The civil war was about slavery, but it was equally as much about banking, monetary theory, and the so-called American System of Economics.