Dallas, Texas

Ethel2

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 09:35 pm
Quote:
Things we overheard here: First woman: "Did you hear they put $6 million into this place?" Second woman: "Is that a lot?"

This quote can be found at the bottom the recommendation for Nana. It says everything anyone needs to know about Nana, the Ritz Carlton and the Mansion at Turtle Creek. The Mansion is a lovely hotel and the restaurant is also simply divine but..........I can't eat that much food, and there are lots of very good restaurants in Dallas with more interesting fellow diners and much better prices. The food is excellent, and the wine list is impressive, but the pretentiousness ruins my appetite.

Osso, I'm sure you, Diane and I had a much better time in Albuquerque.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:23 am
Thomas wrote:
Thomas wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Found this when looking for big hair pics -- you're not a chick, but you're a Yankee (and if you protest the latter, that just shows you need to read this):

http://www.yankeechick.com/faq.htm

Hey, why didn't I catch this when you posted it? Well, I'm technically not a Yankee, because I'm not an American. But I could use a guide to Dallas, and I love her humor. Thanks for the pointer!

Amazon's page for the Survival Guide also recommends Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette. You don't happen to have read it, do you Sozobe?

Yep! It's right over thataway <points>

I had to actually look though and was somewhat surprised to see it there, so it evidently didn't make a huge impression.

Just flipped through it, and as far as I can remember it's a lot of Kinkyisms that may well have been read elsewhere and a lot of super-specific Texas stuff. The latter element was more of a snooze than a recommendation when I read it, but might make it just the thing for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:42 am
I agree, Lola!

Sorry, tangent -
I still want to eat at Babbo in NYC sometime, though. (Somewhere on that best 50 list.) My favorite on there is the Zuni Cafe in SF; don't know what it's like now, except it has the good chef Judy Rodgers, but when I was there, it was just another pleasant cafe visit with good friends.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:10 am
One disadvantage to moving to Dallas/Fort Worth: ugly, ugly people:
Quote:
For unattractiveness, Philadelphia just beat out Washington DC and Dallas/Fort Worth for the bottom spot. Miami and San Diego are home to the most attractive people, the poll found.

Source.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:44 pm
sozobe wrote:
Just flipped through it, and as far as I can remember it's a lot of Kinkyisms that may well have been read elsewhere and a lot of super-specific Texas stuff. The latter element was more of a snooze than a recommendation when I read it, but might make it just the thing for you.

Hm. It does sound interesting to me, especially considering my much more limited notion of "elsewhere" -- I haven't read all that much by Kinky Friedman yet. I'll check it out the next time I'm in Dallas, probably around December 1st. (The new boss made an offer with December 1 penciled in as my first day of work. He suggests that whatever work I do for the old boss during the transition period, I can do from Dallas. This should work because it's mostly software development and testing, which I can do anywhere with an internet connection.)

joefromchicago wrote:
One disadvantage to moving to Dallas/Fort Worth: ugly, ugly people:
Quote:
For unattractiveness, Philadelphia just beat out Washington DC and Dallas/Fort Worth for the bottom spot. Miami and San Diego are home to the most attractive people, the poll found.

Source.

That's where I come in. I'll raise the score way, way up on attractiveness. You just hold your breath until their 2008 report comes out.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 07:56 am
Thomas wrote:
That's where I come in. I'll raise the score way, way up on attractiveness. You just hold your breath until their 2008 report comes out.

I'm confident that your presence will allow your new neighbors to leapfrog past San Antonio and Orlando and make the denizens of Dallas/Ft. Worth at least as unattractive as those of New Orleans.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 08:00 am
One should also note that, according to "Travel & Leisure," Dallas/Ft. Worth ranks at or near the bottom of just about every category measured. But it has some good barbecue.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 12:49 pm
Best feature: Barbecue 4.39

Wost feature: the people......oh, I mean ease of getting around and public transportation.

I agree with the ratings wholeheartedly. But as I said, I did find ways to live there and still have a good life..........not as good as it is now, but very good anyway. There are ways. You just have to know how to do it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 12:51 pm
Interesting link, joe.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 12:59 pm
Lola wrote:

Linkat,

So you and your family are moving to Dallas. My sympathies. But as I told Thomas, there are ways to live the good life there if one knows where to go and live and who to hang out with. Let me know if you have any questions. I laughed out loud when I read the piece posted by sozobe. Thanks for it, soz!

Thanks, Lola. We will be moving to the Westlake area - that is where my new job will be. We, too, looked at Ft. Worth - the area of Ft. Worth closest to Westlake. We are considering Keller as well. Any thoughts on that area would be helpful. We would like Southlake, but unless we bought something older, it would probably be priced a bit high and since we have children - school systems are very important.

We didn't visit Dallas itself when we first visited, but went into Fort Worth. I did like Fort Worth. We will be visiting again the beginning of December and actually staying in Irving - funny that you were all talking about it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 02:17 pm
Lola wrote:

Wost feature: the people......oh, I mean ease of getting around and public transportation.

There seems to be an obvious solution: barbecue the people.

Seriously though -- December 1 isn't that far away. Any suggestions for things to do until then?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:08 am
Thomas wrote:

http://www.wieblog.nl/images/soylentgreen_ff_300x225_0912200212201.gif

"It's people! Dallas barbecue is made out of PEOPLE!!!"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
Texas does beef. Great steaks. But not barbecue. It's a whole 'nuther beast that they just don't get...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 03:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Texas does beef. Great steaks. But not barbecue. It's a whole 'nuther beast that they just don't get...

That's o-k my husband is master of the grill.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 11:47 am
Ok, now, here's an article that could be useful...

On Tex-Mex food
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 11:55 am
Thomas wrote:
\Seriously though -- December 1 isn't that far away. Any suggestions for things to do until then?

Learn how to bake German break. You'll miss it!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 12:30 pm
thomas might want to give KUBY'S DELI a try .
even in our small city , german-style breads from toronto and locally baked as well as imported german breads are readily available .
hbg

DIMPFLMEYER of toronto makes pretty well any style of german bread - it even exports it to the U.S.
http://www.healthyreferral.com/images/dimpflmeier.JPG
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 12:35 pm
alphons dimpflmeyer ships to the U.S.

DIMPFLMEYER
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:55 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Sorry, cj, but you're wrong about this. Try Dickey's Barbarque, there is none better.

Quote:
Lola wrote:

Yes, BARBECUE THE PEOPLE! They're FOX unNews addicts. But don't try to eat it. It's bound to taste like horsepatutti.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 05:59 pm
I'll pass. I'll take your word for it.
0 Replies