Answers to emode.com IQ test ( "the original IQ test" )

CoolJoe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:07 pm
Re: Answers to emode.com IQ test ( "the original IQ tes
You are sure ruining Emode's Classic IQ Test by giving out all the answers. Which is such a joke to start with..I MEAN ARE YOU ALLOWED TO GOOGLE YOUR ANSWERS ON A REGULAR IQ TEST? HELLO ?!? USE A CALCULATOR ?!? HAVE NO TIME LIMIT FOR THAT MATTER(LMAO)
Why can't you do same for the SUPER IQ TEST ?
Too difficult, perhaps ? Laughing
Chill,keep it simple and stay real. Peace. :wink:
CoolJoe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:25 pm
Read my post and understand the meaning of it all (On-line IQ Tests)...
to sucker you out of some cash as usual on the Internet ! Cheers Very Happy
0 Replies

CoolJoe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:38 pm
Still speechless huh?? LOL
0 Replies

hainsay

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 10:12 pm
You lack logic? with the one about the two people racing, one going at a slower, then a faster speed, jill will beat jack. serious.

suppose the distance either there or back is 'x' in miles

jill will take x/20 hr each way for a total of x/10 hr

jack will take x/10 one way and x/30 the other, for a total(remember high school maths Razz) 4x/30 = x/10 + x/30

so jack will take longer. this is NOT a trick question, ppl. anyway, i manage to find that IQ test about once every 3 months it seems, so i've done it a couple of times

oh, and thanks for the question witht he answer 'point the finger', i wasn't sure with that one, so before this i odn't think i was a visionary philosopher, but i can't remember
0 Replies

hainsay

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 10:13 pm
hmmm, sure did post this on the wrong thread, my bad, i'll just leave this thread...forum...country lol
0 Replies

banner

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 04:22 pm
niky wrote:
Quote:
24. What number is one half of one quarter of one tenth of 800?

Question... I merely joined this board because this freaking question is bugging the HECK out of me... so far as I remember, the choices were

something else...

and as 1/2 of 1/4 is 1/8 and 1/10th of 800 is 80, I still can't figure WHAT THEY WANT you to answer...

This test is seriously f*d up...

and as others have noted:

The answer is 10. It's simple arithmetic.

Quote:
4. Even the most ___________ rose has thorns.

Answer: tempting

Explanation: because the other words don't make a sensical contrast

lonely in this case makes perfect contextual sense.

"lonely" does not make sense. "tempting" is the only reasonable answer.

Quote:
7. John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

Answer: 900

Explanation: search this site, Jespah answered this here before. Many of these questions are all over the net, that's why I doubt emode minds if the answers are posted.

I call BS on this, because I answered TWICE because the first results pissed me off (said I was only 133 :p), and by answering 1200, I got 135... that was the only change I made.

[/I]Clearly, John likes numbers that are squares. In this case, 30*30

[quote]20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

Answer: sandy

Explanation: jack only catches up at the end

false... neither should win, as they average the same speed... all things being equal... and considering they leave the line at the same time, jack is in the lead at point Y and SANDY catches up at the finish line...

I've noticed only ONE question he got right that I didn't... what's up with this? why did I get 133?[/quote]

Sandy wins. Here is an easy way to look at it.

Let t be the amount of time for a trip from point X to point Y at 60 miles per hour.

We can then express the time requires for each racer in terms of t:

Jack's trip will take 2t + 6t = 8t
Sandy's trip will take 3t + 3t = 6t

If you don't believe me, pick an arbitrary distance, such as 60 miles from point X to point Y, and see who wins.

====

niky wrote:
Quote:
24. What number is one half of one quarter of one tenth of 800?

The answer is 10. It's straight math arithmetic.
0 Replies

banner

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 04:43 pm
Comments on Craven's comments
I scored 144 on the test, which I took as an "insult", but figured it might be the top possible score.

I suspect the test is designed to render a high score, however (but it should not cap out so low).

Here are some comments on Craven's answers, and on a selected test question or two.

=======

3. Which number should come next? 144 121 100 81 64 ?

Answer: 49

Explanation: - 23 - 21 - 19 - 17 the next one is 64 - 15

-------- my comment -----

Actually, it's simply a sequence of squares:

12*12, 11*11, 10*10, 9*9, 8*8, and the correct next value is 7*7=49

The "Craven explanation" is also correct (and will continue to work down to 1*1).
However, the declining sequence of squares is more obvious, imo.

========

7. John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

----- my comment ----

This is because John likes squares, and 900 = 30*30

=======

11. If some Wicks are Slicks, and some Slicks are Snicks, then some Wicks are definitely Snicks. The statement is:

Answer: false

Explanation: "definitely" seals the deal

-------------- my comment ------

Actually, it would be better to word the statement ".... then definitely some Wicks are Snicks".

A Wick is either a Snick or it is not. The way the statement is worded, the "definitely"
qualifier applies to individual Wicks, as in "this Wick is definitely a Snick".

===============

16. Inept is the opposite of:

Answer: Skillful

Explanation: This is a mistake on emode's part they include another word that is correct ("fit").

-------- my comment ----

Disagree. "fit" is not a correct response to this question. It doesn't "fit".

=================

20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

------------------- my comment ----

Here is an easy way to look at it. Let t be the amount of time taken for a trip from point X to point Y at 60 miles per hour. Picking 60 miles per hour causes no loss of generality, it simply makes the numbers "nice". One could pick any speed.

We can then express the time required for each racer in terms of t:

Jack travels 30 mph to point Y. It takes t time to travel from X to Y at 60 mph. Therefore, it must take 2t time to travel from X to Y at 30 mph.

Continuing this reasoning, we can see that:

Sandy will finish in 3/4 the time that Jack requires.

================================

27. Which one of these five things is least like the other four?

answer: grape

explanation: this was a horrible question with multiple answers that made sense.

---------- my comment ---

"grape" seemed the obvious answer to me, as it is the only entry without a pit in the center.

============

29. It is easier to _______________ than to offer a helping hand.

Answewr: point a finger

Explanation: cause the others make litttle sense (except the insult one, it just makes less sense).

---------- my comment

I answered this one "correctly" by guessing what they were after. However, "sing praises" is actually a better answer, logically. I am minded of a passage in The Lord of the Rings in which a warrior involved in a bitter war says something along the lines of "they give us much praise, but little help". It's easier to say "good job" than to actually help out.

============

34. Question 34

------------- my comment

This is a poorly constructed question. The word "sequence" should be "pattern". If a sequence was intended, the 4 boxes should be in a single line from left to right (or numbered). A sequence means that the order of the boxes is crucial. One might suspect that the "order" would be top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, but a single line (or numbering the boxes) would be better (had a sequence been intended).

================
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:17 pm
Interesting comments banner, thanks.

just one quibble:

Quote:

Explanation: This is a mistake on emode's part they include another word that is correct ("fit").

-------- my comment ----

"unfit" is a frequent definition for "inept". Thusly, "fit" can work as the opposite of "inept".
0 Replies

heywoodthe14yearold

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:35 am
just addin to your explanation of your answer to the question "two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway facing opposite directions. Each car drives for 6 miles, takes a left turn, and drives for 8 miles" as i found your explanation the slightest bit vague, possibly because you googled the question (like most of youhave) to find no explanation so used this 'basic maths' or whatever you ite of well have put 'it just is' but the 'basic maths' is a better disguise that you dont know, so for the benefit of those who do not know why the answer is 20, treat it as a right angled triangle if you add 6 and 6 to get 12 (1 side of a right angled triangle) then 8 and 8, 16 then you are left with the distance which is (in a right angled triangle) of course the hypotenuse, and those clever ones may notice that these 2 sides 12 and 16(adjacent and opposite) doesnt matter which is which can be a pithagrian triple ( a right angled triangle with the sides in a ratio of 3,4,5) 12 is the 3 (4*3) 16 is the 4 (4*4) which means that the hypotenuse is the 5 (4*5) which of course is 20, just thought id share that with you
0 Replies

AndyH

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 01:59 pm
Re: Comments on Craven's comments
banner wrote:
I scored 144 on the test, which I took as an "insult", but figured it might be the top possible score.

I suspect the test is designed to render a high score, however (but it should not cap out so low).

Here are some comments on Craven's answers, and on a selected test question or two.

=======

3. Which number should come next? 144 121 100 81 64 ?

Answer: 49

Explanation: - 23 - 21 - 19 - 17 the next one is 64 - 15

-------- my comment -----

Actually, it's simply a sequence of squares:

12*12, 11*11, 10*10, 9*9, 8*8, and the correct next value is 7*7=49

The "Craven explanation" is also correct (and will continue to work down to 1*1).
However, the declining sequence of squares is more obvious, imo.

And me too!!

========

----- my comment ----

This is because John likes squares, and 900 = 30*30

Absolutely, although this is another one of their not-so-well-worded ones.

=======

11. If some Wicks are Slicks, and some Slicks are Snicks, then some Wicks are definitely Snicks. The statement is:

Answer: false

Explanation: "definitely" seals the deal

-------------- my comment ------

Actually, it would be better to word the statement ".... then definitely some Wicks are Snicks".

A Wick is either a Snick or it is not. The way the statement is worded, the "definitely"
qualifier applies to individual Wicks, as in "this Wick is definitely a Snick".

I really umm'd and aah'd about this one when I answered. I knew that,
poorly worded tho' the question was, the correct answer was "False",
but knowing their penchant for "Can't tell" type answers, I decided that
maybe they were after the latter. Perhaps that's why I only scored 138.

===============

-------- my comment ----

[voice of Yoda]
"Mmm... ...Skillful it is. Fit it is not!!"

=================

20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

------------------- my comment ----

Here is an easy way to look at it. Let t be the amount of time taken for a trip from point X to point Y at 60 miles per hour. Picking 60 miles per hour causes no loss of generality, it simply makes the numbers "nice". One could pick any speed.

We can then express the time required for each racer in terms of t:

Jack travels 30 mph to point Y. It takes t time to travel from X to Y at 60 mph. Therefore, it must take 2t time to travel from X to Y at 30 mph.

Continuing this reasoning, we can see that:

Sandy will finish in 3/4 the time that Jack requires.

I find it interesting that some folks with supposedly high IQs get this one wrong and then, even after it's been explained, refuse to accept the explanation. The famous experiment to detect the so-called "ether" (the Michelson-Morley experiment) depended on a similar principle. There's nothing wrong with the mathematics that folks have shown but I still suspect there's a conceptual issue that some people may be struggling with. So, to put it into words: if Jack were to spend half his time at the higher speed then the result would be a tie because his average velocity would be the same as Sandy's. But in fact he spends more time going at 10 mph than he does going at 30 mph, so his average speed has to be less than 20 mph. Hence, he loses!

explanation: this was a horrible question with multiple answers that made sense.

---------- my comment ---

"grape" seemed the obvious answer to me, as it is the only entry without a pit in the center.

My thoughts exactly (at the time of doing the test).

============

29. It is easier to _______________ than to offer a helping hand.

Answewr: point a finger

Explanation: cause the others make litttle sense (except the insult one, it just makes less sense).

---------- my comment

I answered this one "correctly" by guessing what they were after. However, "sing praises" is actually a better answer, logically. I am minded of a passage in The Lord of the Rings in which a warrior involved in a bitter war says something along the lines of "they give us much praise, but little help". It's easier to say "good job" than to actually help out.

--
Umm... ...can't see why someone who deserves praise or is doing a good job might actually need a helping hand. But logically: it's easier to point the finger "hey, that's not going to work" - than actually help out "let me show you what to do"; seems to fit a single situation much better. Or so it seems to me...

============

34. Question 34

------------- my comment

This is a poorly constructed question. The word "sequence" should be "pattern". If a sequence was intended, the 4 boxes should be in a single line from left to right (or numbered). A sequence means that the order of the boxes is crucial. One might suspect that the "order" would be top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, but a single line (or numbering the boxes) would be better (had a sequence been intended).

================
0 Replies

osakaguy

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:53 am
Grapes

hmmm...... if my memory serves me right, grapes are the only fruit on the list which did NOT grow on trees.

Plum tree
Apricot tree
Cherry tree
Peach tree
Grape TREE????? NOT! (Vine)

These past two years nobody has mentioned this? Maybe this IQ test is meant for city folk?
0 Replies

seraphrevan

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 02:51 pm
Funny...
Funny. Official IQ tests are forbidden to have any reading in them. This is because some people mayb be extraordinarily gifted, but cannot read. That's the first clue that this is fake. Also, 144 being the best score is bad. When I was 8, I took an official one and got a 157.
0 Replies

yamazed

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
0 Replies

AlphaHusky

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 09:30 pm
Quote:
19. Sue is both the 50th best and the 50th worst student at her school. How many students attend her school?

Answer: 99

Explanation 50 + 49

How do you figure? If she is the 50th best AND the 50th worst.... 1 Being the best and 100 being the worst.... That would put her smack dab in the middle....50. If she is the 50th worst of 99 then she would not be the 50th best...she would only be the 49th best. BUT since she is 50th best and 50th worst...there HAS to be no MORE or LESS than 100 people.

-Paul
0 Replies

TheWun1

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:33 pm
Oh I just couldn't help getting in on this when I realised how old this thread is... AND I just had to correct Husky:

50th Best means there are 49 people better.
50th Worst means there are 49 people worse.

49 + 49=98 plus Sue = 99.

My first & probably last post ever. Cool thread guys! I love the debates, but only managed to read about 10 pages worth!!!

I managed to get a 138 "Visionary Philosopher", but did learn something when reading here about the car race from X to Y and back... I was in too much of a hurry and didn't actually do the math on that one like I should have! Thanks for Explaining it so well.
0 Replies

text58

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 03:29 pm
2. Which one of these five is least like the other four?
Horse
Kangaroo
Cow
Deer
Donkey

Just a note on this one: Kangaroo is the correct answer for 2 reasons really: they are the only animal to stand on their it's hind legs constantly, and they it is a marsupial... everyone mentioned the former, as far as I could read.
0 Replies

nedhenry

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:36 am
Bad test...
...for many reasons. The three most obvious:

1. The most glaring to me deals with the already stated short length. A true IQ test requires much more inquiry to discover intelligence capacity.
2. Another reason is that the highest score available is 144. Real IQ tests can measure much higher. 144 would not even be brilliant on a true IQ test; it certainly wouldn't register as genius!
3. The third most glaring problem is an incorrect response to #33 that registers as correct. The circle is not the odd one. Roundness is not a factor. If that were the oddity, the pentagon would also be odd because it is the only that is pentagonal. There are two quadrilaterals, but only one square and only one rectangle. Obviously, only having only one side is also not an oddity because the triangle is the only one with three sides. The point in the center becomes relevant to the question when one considers distance from it. At first glance it looks as if all of the shapes have sides that are equidistant to the center, even the circle. However, one of the shapes has the property that all sides are not equidistant to the center. The rectangle has two sides that are one distance and two sides that are another distance. All but the rectangle have this property. This is clearly the correct answer, and any mathematics professor will agree.
0 Replies

bigtimehotshot

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:33 pm
Tickle Iq Tests
I took both the Tickle IQ tests.

Here are my scores:
Classic IQ test - I got a 144
Super IQ test - I got a 152

I think I got almost all of them right on each test.
What exactly are the highest scores you can get on each of these tests?

In high school (I'm now 32, so this was a while ago) I took a "real" IQ test and got a 136. I assume by the score difference that either these Tickle IQ tests are a little easier than a real IQ test or I've gotten smarter in the last 15 or so years (which I suppose is a possibility as well).

Just from my own experience with real IQ tests and this one, I assume they are fairly accurate.
0 Replies

nedhenry

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:01 am
Top scoreBasic
Basically, if you don't get a 144 and a 152, you either made a mistake somewhere, or you are a dumbass. These tests suck!
0 Replies

dav

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 11:11 am
there a more general way q7 makes sense, examine the prime factors of each number and the powers of all the prime factors of the numbers he likes are even whilst the others have odd power prime factors.
0 Replies