Answers to emode.com IQ test ( "the original IQ test" )

wake

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 04:14 am
You all make the race question so hard to understand.

Lets assume point A-B is 30 miles. Thats a round Trip on 60 miles.

Jack travels 30 miles @ 30 miles an hour (One hour), then 30 miles @ 10 miles an hour (Three hours) till the end. A total of Four hours.

Sandy travels 60 miles @ 20 miles an hour (Three hours)

Simple.

Cheers. Bye
0 Replies

chinton

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 07:51 am
WRONG
I just did a load of random clicks and i got this message:

Your IQ score is 75

This number is based on a scientific formula that compares how many questions you answered correctly on the Classic IQ Test relative to others.

Your Intellectual Type is Inventive Inquisitor. You have the unusual distinction of being equally good at math and verbal skills. This means you
are a creative thinker and are uniquely good at teaching others through experiences. You are also a great improviser and very good at handling change.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA INVENTIVE INQUISITOR ....try "Nova Driving Idiot who listens to shitty techno and thinks he is well hard because he can smoke a spliff"

And whats this.... "You have the unusual distinction of being equally good at math and verbal skills"..... Equally good???? as in "Not Very"?? what a load of ****.
0 Replies

Sarandon

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:09 pm
Alternate 'proofs'...

Q. 3

144=12^2, 121=11^2, 100=10^2, 81=9^2, 64=8^2 and 49=7^2
//////////////

Q. 7

As with the 'prefered' numbers, 900 is the the square of an integer.
////////////////////////

Q. 20

Given: Time=Distance/Rate (i.e. T=D/R):

T(Jack)=D/30+D/10=(2/15)D

T(Sandy)=D/20+D/20=(1/10)D

(2/15)>(1/10) Hence Sandy finishes first

Note: That the arithmetic mean is inapplicable to this non-linear relation...
//////////////

Q. 24

(1/2*1/4*1/10)*800=1/80*800=10
/////////////////////////

Q. 26

While, based upon available choices, it is clear that the expected correct response will be derived from the classic relation:

D = (|x-x'|^2+|y-y'|^2)^(1/2)

Hence:

(12^2+16^2)^(1/2)=20

It should be disclaimed that a 'flat Earth' paradigm is assumed...

Q. 27

Grapes, unlike the other choices, do not grow on trees...
///////

<<<Edit to correct misidentification of Q. 20 as Q. 19)>>>

Very best regards
Dan Sarandon
0 Replies

timothy a beard

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 09:05 am
Re: Answers to emode.com IQ test ( "the original IQ tes
20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

Answer: sandy

Explanation: jack only catches up at the end

This is a question that deals with average velocity and the Distance equation.

Distance=Rate x Time, and in this case it is the average Rate

For Jack:
Distance=(30t+10t)/2=40t/2=20t

For Jill:
Distance=(20t+20t)/2=40t/2=20t

Jack actually does not catch up at the end. Jack, who is ahead in the first half slows down in the second half and Jill catches up at the finish line.

Lets say that the distance in each leg of the race is 40 miles.
Jack reaches the halfway point in 1.33 hours.
D=r x t, D/r=t, 40/30=1.33

Jill reaches that same point at 2.0 hours so Jack is ahead.
D=r x t, 40/20=2

Lets see where jack is at 2.0 hours into the race.
D=r x t, D=(30*1.33)+(10*(2-1.33))=(30*1.33)+(10*0.67)=46.7
Jill will whittle away at his lead and catch up in at the enc to finish with Jack.

Now you need to explain to me the one about grapes, peaches and apricots because I really don't get that one.
0 Replies

Sarandon

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 01:09 am
0 Replies

timothy a beard

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:57 pm
ACTUALLY
MY POST WAS MEANT TO BE SARCASTIC. I REALIZE THAT JILL WILL QUICKLY OVERTAKE JACK AND WIN.

Sarandon wrote:
0 Replies

Sarandon

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 11:33 pm
Quote:
MY POST WAS MEANT TO BE SARCASTIC. I REALIZE THAT JILL WILL QUICKLY OVERTAKE JACK AND WIN.

Jill? Where does that leave Sandy? Has that sly old Jack been playn' the lad again? http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/images/smiles/eusa_naughty.gif

FWIW (Re: your serious post) I do not refute your analysis - You approached the problem from a 'distance perspective' whereas I approached same from a 'time perspective' --- It's all kewl http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

TTFN
Dan Sarandon
0 Replies

justaguest

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:21 pm
Logic
Quote:

7. John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

Answer: 900

All the numbers John likes have perfect (whole / no fractions) square roots. (400=20x20, 100=10x10, 2500=50x50). The numbers he doesn't like do not.

The only answer that fits this pattern is 900.

THERE IS NO MENTION OF THE NUMBER HE DISLIKES TO GO WITH 900 SO HIS LIKING A NUMBER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBER IT IS COMPARED TO OR IT BEING 1,10 OR 100 MORE.

THIS IS THE ONLY LOGICAL ANSWER.
0 Replies

Sarandon

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 06:15 am
I give up!!! --- It's gotta be my breath after all :,(

To wit *AGREED* Mr./Ms. 'Justaguest'!!!

As stated in my post (above):

Quote:
Q. 7

As with the 'prefered' numbers, 900 is the the square of an integer.

Best
Sarandon Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 04:45 pm
Sarandon,

Don't give up. This thread has brought a steady trickle of newbies and they often do not read back.

If you branch out into other topics people will acknowlegde your contributions, but I think the members on A2K think this is "Craven's weird thread that attracts newbies who will only post once" and ignore the thread altogether.

It's always been more popular with newbies than A2K.
0 Replies

Sarandon

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
Thanks, Craven!

'Tis nice to know I'm not entirely invisible :-)

BTW How'd ya do the 'morphing' avatar??? --- That one with the billiard balls is skeery Wink Kinda puts me in mind of Linda Blair's (a.k.a. Regan McNeil's) shenanigans! http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Best regards
Dan Sarandon
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 10:02 am
Here ya go:

http://search.able2know.com/About/1220.html
0 Replies

RTrinh

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:24 pm
Grapes
The answer to the question concerning fruits (No. 27) is grapes because grapes have individual seeds, whereas the other fruits have pits. Simple as that! Must be the fact that I'm a 14 year old Canadian kid who eats his fruits.
0 Replies

2smart

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:59 pm
Re: Answers to emode.com IQ test ( "the original IQ tes
I assumed that they turned 30 degrees to the left. So THEY ARE WRONG!!

Seriously, would it be so hard to put that into the question?? Ok, we ASSUME it's 90 degree...or....??

Never mind, just bugs me...
0 Replies

twocents

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 04:25 am
disclaimer: i am not perfect; just condescending
Quote:
The answer to the question concerning fruits (No. 27) is grapes because grapes have individual seeds, whereas the other fruits have pits. Simple as that! Must be the fact that I'm a 14 year old Canadian kid who eats his fruits.

no fair! you only got that one right coz you're from canada, and we don't eat fruit in other countries

but anyway, you're gonna make him feel bad. let's be creative and say it's coz grapes grow on vines as opposed to trees. see now the question is all tricky and stuff. especially coz you and i both know you'd have to be at least 14 to know that :wink:

ps omfg all of you need to just stop like arguing with the correct answers because you cannot get a score higher than 144. this is totally evident if you like look at the result it gives on your profile. the highest scores are always listed as 120-144. you are just like wasting space on the internet. please shut up kthx Rolling Eyes

k so now i guess i'm supposed to like add a cool quote that somehow relates to this post so here goes:

"wow are you some kind of genie?" kelly bundy
0 Replies

Original5

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:52 pm
Allow me to conceptualise the 'Jack and Sandy' question.
It has been explained in terms of arithmetic but it can also be explained very simply.

Most people cannot accept the fact that the average speeds are the same.

This is the flaw in their reasoning: It is automatically assumed that their average speeds are the same. Sandy's average is 20 mph but this is not the case for Jack. Jack travels a certain distance at 30 mph and travels the same distance at 10 mph. The fact that he travels at 10 mph 3 times longer than he does at 30 mph makes his average less.
It is not the distance he travelled at a particular speed but the amount of time spent travelling at that speed.

As for the rose question... If it was not merely a not-so-well-known proverb of some sorts then I suppose the possibilities are limitless.
We all exist with a set of assumptions and ideas which we mistakenly refer to as our knowledge of reality. Simply put, these are merely perceptions which help us identiy with and makes sense of the world.

If you have taken the time to read all these previous posts then you would have noted that most of the diferences surrounding this question stems from culture.

The mind is a paradigm on it's own. What this question forces us to do would be to identify with the common thread in collective thought or to find an almost universal subjectivity.
0 Replies

counrtycookie

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 03:57 pm
Answers to emode.com IQ test
In #27 I agree the answer is grape but your explanation I do not agree with. All the other choices have pits. Grapes have seeds. There may be some with pits but the pits are edible unlike the pits in the peach, plum and cherry.

explanation: this was a horrible question with multiple answers that made sense.
0 Replies

marshall catts

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:43 am
IQ test question 20 ... Jack & Sandy
20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

It does not matter what distance X and Y are apart. The trick is to get those unfamiliar with mathematics to assume that the average of 30mph and 10mph is 20mph.

Race over 30 miles each way: Jack gets to Y in one hour but takes three hours to get back. Sandy does the lot in three hours

Race over 60 miles each way: Jack gets to Y in two hours but takes six hours to get back. Sandy does the lot in six hours.

Race over 150 miles each way: Jack gets to Y in five hours but takes fifteen hours to get back. Sandy does the lot in fifteen hours.

Race over 5 miles each way: Jack gets to Y in ten minutes but takes thirty minutes to get back. Sandy does the lot in half an hour.

Regards,
Marshall
0 Replies

myles1999

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:03 am
niky wrote:
Quote:
24. What number is one half of one quarter of one tenth of 800?

Question... I merely joined this board because this freaking question is bugging the HECK out of me... so far as I remember, the choices were

something else...

and as 1/2 of 1/4 is 1/8 and 1/10th of 800 is 80, I still can't figure WHAT THEY WANT you to answer... ( Niky, Try to work backwards and you will see its really easy, e.g, first divide 800 by 10 = 80, then divide 80 by 4 = 20 and then divide 20 by 2 = 10 so 10 is your answer. Good luck)

This test is seriously f*d up...

and as others have noted:

Quote:
4. Even the most ___________ rose has thorns.

Answer: tempting

Explanation: because the other words don't make a sensical contrast

lonely in this case makes perfect contextual sense.

Quote:
7. John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

Answer: 900

Explanation: search this site, Jespah answered this here before. Many of these questions are all over the net, that's why I doubt emode minds if the answers are posted.

I call BS on this, because I answered TWICE because the first results pissed me off (said I was only 133 :p), and by answering 1200, I got 135... that was the only change I made.

Quote:

Explanation: jack only catches up at the end

false... neither should win, as they average the same speed... all things being equal... and considering they leave the line at the same time, jack is in the lead at point Y and SANDY catches up at the finish line...

I've noticed only ONE question he got right that I didn't... what's up with this? why did I get 133?
0 Replies

mekane

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:14 pm
what is the deal with the vocab words on this? how does that test your IQ?

i also don't like the famous quotes. Sometimes multiple answers make sense. Like "lay down" instead of "point the finger". Not sure what all the fuss is about the thorns one though, thats the only answer that makes sense.

as everyone has said, there seems to be multiple answers for the fruit problem. i answered "cherry" because that was the only choice without a 'p' in the word. the question just asked "what is the difference between these", in the case that "these" were just words, so having a difference of not having a 'p' is a good answer, and seems to be just as good as any others i have heard.

i also disliked question 37, the one with the shapes inside a 3x3 box. the top shape has a pattern that it goes to the right one cell (and raps around) for each time you go down a row. And of course each row has the same big shape repeated 3 times, but there doesn't appear to be a pattern for shading of the big shape. If its true that the pattern is supposed to be that there cannot be all unshaded or shaded in one row i think its a bad patter. Anyone find a better justification?
0 Replies